How should I approach towel theft?

How should I approach towel theft?

Hello,

I am about 4 months into hosting and on two occasions have had guests steal bath towels. Neither of them mentioned it and I feel a little awkward about how to proceed. I assume that they might have just taken them if they had ruined them or something, but it seems in poor taste to not mention it and offer a reimbursement.

My husband thinks I should put a little card in the bathroom that says something about-if we find missing towels we will add the replacement cost to their bill- but that doesn't seem very welcoming/trusting for the majority of guests who would never think to do that.

One other thought we had was to set out a discreet bathroom 'housekeeping inventory' with the number of towels and the date and a note at the end saying that if you would like to take any towels with you, we would be happy to add them to your room stay. Somehow, that sounds a little more positive. 

If we were to do that, I'm not sure how we would execute that additional transaction through airbnb. I assume that the guest would have to agree to the extra charges in the resolution center, which might be unlikely. 

Maybe I'll add something in the 'house rules' about all inventory must be accounted for or additional charges will apply to your stay?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Leslie

41 Replies 41
Bob13
Level 3
Raleigh, NC

Leslie,
Although I consider towels as a consumable if within reason (i.e. occasional accidental packing).

Perhaps you may want to use a luxurious brand of towels so they will notice and not absent mindedly pack the towel.If more than one is missing, then you know it is on purpose and I would inquire.
Two other suggestions are to charge a deposit and/or display the towels nicely folded on the bed so they know that you know how many there are.
I also like your bath inventory idea!
Good luck!

On two occasions my guests have stolen towels as well. I'd love to hear airbnbs take on this matter and what course of action we have as hosts to combat this.
Annette130
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

It happened to me today.Can't believe it . its obviously not a mistake as they took both that where rolled up on the shelf in there room.U live in a remote place so not easy for me to replace.

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hotels leave polite notes about bathrobes saying they are for guests use during stay but if you wish to purchase they can be added to the bill.

But as you have a business you should have an inventory of everything anyway

are you near a beach or pool ; one of my gusts always took my ice white towels to the Gym for six weeks until I stopped him by saying any towel removed form property had t be paid for

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I think it was just unlucky and you will never lose another towel. I am on my second accommodation, close to ten years of operation and I have never lost a towel (as far as I know, but could have missed I suppose).

If you are really worried, then by all means, add a towel inventory but I have never seen this implemented. I think people behave better when they feel trusted. Maybe it was accidental?

Annette130
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

I hope its accidental but 4 towels in a month.I don't want to put my price up. Maybe I could say discout for people who don't take the towels.

Funny. I have been doing it for about 4 years now. Started with one property and now have 5 listed. I have had SOOOO many towels go missing it's insane. At first I just waved it off thinking I may have lost or misplaced them....but now I see it's iMPOSSIBLE. I've just had to buy 12 new sets (I provide a 4-piece set for each guuest) to replace the incomplete sets that have been left. It's shocking. My husband says it's totally a common thing to steal towels from hotels....I'm still in denial, assuming they just get in bags.....but then again I don't know in what situation you can ACCIDENTALLY pack a towel. But okay, now looking for a solution. 

I've accidently packed a towel when I was overtired and unceremoniously shoved everything (without folding) into my bag. That said - I've done it probably once in over 20 stays. I'm typically more likely to leave leave my items behind.

One of the property managers I interviewed put a sign out in the front. It was a deterrent but a warning. I would like to create a great atmosphere and give proper service but I also expect the equivalent respect. If you steal, I won;t take you to court but I will make you pay for it. The issue is how Airbnb lets you do that?

Serafina0
Level 6
Minneapolis, MN

I, too, generally count occasional towel replacement as a cost of doing business. People sometimes stash things in odd places, or pack a towel for the day and then forget about it. I'd never consider using the security deposit or Resolution Center to recover the cost, but then, my towels and furnishings are inexpensive. 

Like the previous poster, my guess is that you just had an unlucky run and won't experience this again for quite some time. 

Era0
Level 1
Lebanon, OR

I have been doing this about a year and had my first nice white towel stolen.  I am going to have an inventory tacked on to the hold harmless agreement and add a note to my hold harmless agreement that missing towels will be charged for.  This is a small business and towels walking away will make it impossible to survive.

Michael247
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

I'll be honest the one towel that did disappear from my studio - I would not want it back.   I believe my guest had her period and wasn't quite prepared.    I think she may have accidentally stained the towel and probably felt bad about it and packed it or chucked it.  So from now on I have an assortment of tampons on display in the bathrooms just incase there are any more accidents of this sort.  I know it could be different for your towel theives but thats my deduction for my missing towel.

And very thoughtful of you

У меня имеется все для женщин, но за один месяц исчезло 8 полотенец.