superhost part: ok, but basic requirements: 1 listing still need my attention

Greg1285
Level 2
Zürich, Switzerland

superhost part: ok, but basic requirements: 1 listing still need my attention

Hello, 

I heach everything to receive the superhost status, but 1 other listing still need some attention (and need to be better).

Is that a problem to get the superhost status?

Thanks and Merry Christmas, 

Cheers,

Greg

17 Replies 17
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Go to your Progess tab to see how you meet the super host requirements.  It doesn't appear to me that you have met the basic of 10 stays in the last year.  I believe the stays have to be reviewed as well.

Hi Linda, Thanks. Since this morning, I have the 10 stays, including 2 from the "problematic" listing. 2 additional stays will be finished by Dec 31st (leaving on Dec 31st), so just on the good listing, I will have 10 finished stays. 

What do you mean by "the stays have to be reviewed": what do you exactly mean by that?

I just would like to know if it is enough to have the 4 criteria for superhost fulfilled, and at the same time, not all the "basic requirements" fulfilled, in order to obtain the superhost status?

In the worth case, I am thinking to delete the "problematic" listing, so I will lose 2 hosted stays, but in the meantime, I will have 2 hosted stays finished by Dec 31st in the good listing, so I will exactly have 10 finished stays. But i would rather not be exactly on the limit and therefore I would prefer not to delete the problematic listing for the moment.

many thanks

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Linda108 @Greg1285  Most of my guests leave reviews, but a few haven't. Their stays were counted- it's the number of completed bookings, they don't have to have reviews attached to them.

@Sarah977 There is a lot wrong with the superhost qualifying criteria in my opinion. 10 Stays really doesn't mean a host is 'experienced.' 

So a host can have 10 completed stays but only receive a review from 1 guest and as long as that review is a 5.0 star they will still get Superhost status? 

@Emilia42  Yes, I guess that is true. I was surely surprised when I got an email congratulating me on acheiving Superhost early on in my hosting career (I actually hadn't even heard of the Superhost designation and didn't know what it meant at that point).

But just because guests don't bother to leave reviews doesn't mean the host and accomodation isn't great, we can't force guests to leave reviews so I don't think that Superhost should rest on that. The other Superhost criteria, like not cancelling, responding to inquiries and requests in a timely fashion, not declining any or many requests would seem to me a good indicator of whether a host was attentive to guests more so than if they got 5* reviews from all their guests, since we know that many guests don't really understand the review system, or will give low stars because they were called out on breaking house rules, etc.

And I tend to think that if the place or host was truly unacceptable in some way, guests would tend to leave a bad review, rather than not review. It seems, from my reading on these forums, that it's more the satisfied guests, who tell the host they really enjoyed their stay, and maybe wrote a glowing comment in the Guest Book, who tend not to bother to leave reviews.

And there are many places where the viable hosting season is quite short, like mine- I really only get bookings from late November though April, with a few in the off-season, plus most of my bookings are for a week or two, so a couple of quarters in the past 3 years, I've just squeaked by with 10 stays

Thanks. But that does not reply at all to my question isn't? Thanks anyway

I was also surprised to see the Congratulations message from Airbnb for achieving Superhost . I try my best to keep my guests happy.  Since it's my home and cash transaction all is done online,  I don't feel like what I'm doing is business . I  only have a  feel like my someone very close to us visiting my house.  That makes me feel happy to arrange rooms to welcome them . 

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Greg1285 

re:  'I just would like to know if it is enough to have the 4 criteria for superhost fulfilled, and at the same time, not all the "basic requirements" fulfilled, in order to obtain the superhost status?'

The answer is Yes. 

(Answer based on my own Performance: for several quarters one of my listings has shown  that not all basic requirements are fulfilled, but I still received and maintained SH).

re: 'I am thinking to delete the "problematic" listing....'

It seems you have done it, but it doesn't make a difference, because as you can see your 2 Reviews are still showing, which means the accompanying Ratings will still be factored into your SuperHost calculations. It's an automated. system.

ps. If you wish to be certain anyone you address receives notification, please use the @ sign and a drop down menu appears with contributors to the thread. 

Greg1285
Level 2
Zürich, Switzerland

@Alon1 thanks a lot! exactly what I needed 🙂 thanks for the tip as well 🙂

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Greg1285 You get the "1 listing still needs some attention" when your overall score for that listing averages less than 4.7.

You could still be superhost with a score of less than 4.7 IF  your averages for other listings are more than 4.80, & the average worked out across all listings exceeds 4.8

Superhost status is calculated 4 times a year on scores in the last year only - So a host could have an average of less than 4.8 displayed on their listing (calculated after years of hosting), but be a superhost cos their average has gone up in the last year, taking them over the magic 4.8. 

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen350 @Greg1285 

Helen, I'm sorry to say you are not giving Greg correct information.

Your first sentence is simply wrong

'You get the "1 listing still needs some attention" when your overall score for that listing averages less than 4.7.'

Yesterday, I mentioned to Greg 'Performance: for several quarters of one of my listings shows  that not all basic requirements are fulfilled, but I still received and maintained SH.'

I'll flesh it out further. This particular listing currently has 5.0  average for past 12 months performance However, the one criteria that needs attention is the 'Accepted Reservations'. Target is 88% but my current figure shows in orange 60%

All the other listings meet all the targets, and averages are 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 and another 4.9.

In sum, my current SH average for all the listings is 4.9

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Alon1 I AM giving @Greg1285 correct info. I should not have used the word 'averages' in my first sentance , should have said  'is'. The overall score is the average of the overall given by guests for 'overall' the sub-categories do not have any bearing on overall score.

One of my listings often dropped to 4.6 for overall - but I kept superhost cos my other 2 were well over 4.8, so obviously compensated.

Alon, your info does not contradict mine, it's another way of expressing the same thing & you obviously misunderstood my explanation.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen350 @Greg1285 

Helen, you are not only getting a bit too convoluted for me at least, but you've conveniently revised your 'first sentence' to erase the all important subject which concerned Greg. namely, "1 listing still needs some attention" that according to your original sentence is only given 'when your overall score for that listing averages less than 4.7.'

Greg1285
Level 2
Zürich, Switzerland

@Helen350 @Alon1 

thanks a lot foryour vivid remarks.

Question A: Do I understand correctly that I will not become a superhost with my current 2 listings?

Reasoning: Even if, in the superhost part, it is written that everything is ok (so according to me, then I should get it), in the basic requirements part, 1 of my listing is not high enough (approval rate of 67%: 1 decline, 2 approved and stays finished -> 67%, and I need 88%).

Conclusion: To become a superhost, I would need that the overall average of approval rate is above 88% (pure average of my 2 listings, independent of the number of stays?). 1 concrete example: if 1 listing is 67% (2 approved and finished stays and 1 decline) and the 2nd listing has 100% (with 50 approved stay for instance), then the average is 83.5%, which is not enough. (but if the  number of stays is taken into account, then the weighted average would give me 98% in that case)

if the answer to the question A is YES, then I will delete my problematic listing, as I am fulfilling all the criteria without that listing (a few days ago, I did not have yet my 10 finished stays in the "good" listing, but I decreased the price and get some last minute bookings, and I will be above the 10 finished stays before Dec 31st).

many thanks