support message sent to my guest

Jennifer867
Level 3
McKenney, VA

support message sent to my guest

This is my first time I've posted here...I hope you can help...it's greatly appreciated.

A regular guest of mine sent me a screen shot of an Airbnb Support message she received just after check in the last two times she's stayed at my listing. She went on to say that she's never gotten this message regarding her stays with other hosts  (she's a seasoned Airbnb guest)

I've been a host/guest for quite a few years and  and I've never seen anything like it. 

Naturally I called Airbnb and they didn't get an answer as to why it was sent other than the message was not the result of a query of problem  reported and there was no "Airbnb" support person connected to theses messages. Support couldn't even confirm whether it was a "new" message being sent throughout the community. 

Anyone ever seen this before?

Screenshot 2022-06-18 9.30.32 AM.png

I'd appreciate your response. 

Thanks, Jen

23 Replies 23
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jennifer867 

Well, it must be something they are still testing or rolling out gradually, because I asked my guest who checked in recently and he never got that message. Or, perhaps it doesn't apply to homeshare listings like mine where obviously the guest can reach out to me in person.

I don't have a problem with it as it tells the guest to reach out to the host in the first instance. 

Makes sense @Huma0 . I have two homeshare and one independent home listing and the home listing guest was the one who got the message. The guest who contacted me has been staying with me regularly for a few years and noticed the change which is why she shared the support message we've been discussing. I'm neutral on the message..don't like it or dislike it. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jennifer867 

Ah, okay, there goes my theory on that then. Guess they are just rolling it out. 

I am the same as you, i.e. a bit neutral about it. I can see that it could be helpful in certain circumstances. A lot of guests don't seem to realise the guest's contact info is on their booking. I make sure to always message guests with the address and my number just in case but, sometimes even then, they later mention not having my number! 

Question though. What is the timing of the message? Is it sent after the check in window opens, closes or later than that, e.g. the following day?

@Huma0   It's similar to that strange screen they created at one time where the first review question was asking if the guest felt unsafe during their stay.  It prompts the guest toward something negative.  It really seems like Airbnb despises and distrusts all hosts.

@Mark116, @Huma0 I agree that Airbnb leans towards guests over hosts. In the end they do what they want regardless of what we think.

I personally would rather see them take the time to educate their representatives so we can get clear info when we have questions.

It took one week to answer my questions regarding that 'check in' support message. To my mind they should have known. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jennifer867 @Mark116 

It does't surprise me at all given how so many hosts are posting about how it takes weeks to get a response to really urgent issues.

I've also encountered quite a few reps who were not versed on Airbnb policy and I had to educate them about it. 

The most memorable of these was having to tell various CS reps that refunding guests for nights or weeks that they had already stayed was not part of the COVID-19 extenuating circumstances policy!

One of these reps had not only refunded a guest for her cancelled nights (she was not entitled to all of those either according to the policy) but also for the two weeks she had already stayed, telling me that it was up to me to collect any money she owed me for the stay?!! Another guest was refunded from the date that the EC policy was announced rather than her actual check out date which was later. I understand they were under a lot of pressure and mistakes happen but it was their complete refusal to correct those mistakes that drove me nuts.

They kept telling me their actions were according to the policy and I kept copying and pasting the policy and sending it back to them. Eventually, they couldn't argue with me anymore but it took a month of badgering them before I managed to get anywhere.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

Yes, that was a really bad idea. That was one of the most idiotic things I have ever seen.

True, this new development could very well encourage guests to raise issues where there are none. Hopefully not, but let's see...

I've been lucky enough that I've only ever had one guest (to my knowledge) contact Airbnb to make some sort of complaint, but she was bath*t crazy and CS, at my request, cancelled the rest of her stay for breaking my rules and told her to leave. That was in 2019 though when you could still get a well trained and logical rep on the line. These days I wouldn't be so confident about CS having my back nor even understanding the issue.

@Huma0 @She got the message in the evening of the check in date. My checkin time is 4pm or later. Both messages were sent at 8pm give or take a few minutes

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jennifer867 

Ah, okay, that makes sense.