the cost of a room

Rhonda34
Level 4
Western Australia, Australia

the cost of a room

Recently I have been getting a bit of prompting to drop my price. I just got an email to say that people have booked for 69 dollars less, and 64 dollars less and 59 dollars less. Well my room is 65 weekdays and 110 friday and saturday night. Not unresonable when you consider the options for hotels etc in this town.  If you do the math ,as they say my room if I took 69 bucks off I would be paying the guest to stay with me. It makes no business sense at all. 

I live right on the beach, I supply top quality linnen and a good breakfast. I would rather have no guest at all than bring down the value of staying in my home. 

I can see my competion and if someone wants to put a person in their home for 20 bucks a night well good for them. 

I provide a five star experience and often go over that by sometimes making a meal for free or bottle of wine. The last young lady I made her crayfish dinner and wine and nibblies so I do think I give value for money.  I do not think its right to have pressue put on to drop room prices so that I am running a charity.  Its a business there has to be some profit for your work efforts.

4 Replies 4
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Rhonda34 do what works for you and do not do it if you don't want to. You are not obligated to follow airbnb suggested price.

Many times when I check price tips on the calendar, it gives a really low price (you cannot even get a bunk bed at a hostel with that price in Seattle!), so I simply ignore it.

i have to agree with you. i am absolutely new to airbnb. i live in Cyprus and initially took advise from airbnb and i rent out one bed room which has its own bathroom as well and a private swimming pool with the beaches some 10 mins away. 

i will provide fresh linen and towels including beach towels.

i have been told by airbnb that the cost per room in this area is E 15. i am sure this is per person but i dont seem to get any answers from them and from the start i see airbnb is not what they make out to be. 

can someone please tell me if there are 2 persons i can at least double the cost.

also do i have to provide breakfast at this price as well.

Price your accommodation the way you want to. You can take into consideration their tips but are in no way obligated to adjust your price. The market will dictate your price. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Don't sell yourself out! Do you think the Wynn Las Vegas wants Roach Motel guests during the off season?

My stay is near the beach too (coastal LA county). Generally I've found Airbnb's price tips to be way off. They seem to lump my stay with stays in crap areas of Los Angeles. I have decided that I do not want the riff raff that may book my stay if my price is that low. If nothing else I owe it to my neighbors. So my weekdays are priced sometimes $40 over market. In fact I have only booked 3 groups for weekday stays all season, but I'm OK with that. Weekends are a completely different story. I have not had a single weekend go unbooked for the entire warm weather season in which I am open for business. And because of the high demand I am able to charge a steep rate.