two names, fishy, and not getting back to questions.

Laura2625
Level 2
Guelph, Canada

two names, fishy, and not getting back to questions.

This is my first time booking someone and they are to show up on Friday at midnight.  I just noticed that while they are using one name on thier profile, they have a different name on thier only review.... 

Plus this is a whole house rental and she just told me that they are coming for spring break, four of them... 

I have sent a message asking questions about the different names as well as the ages of the guests... I am not nessesarily worried about them being young - as I was young once and would NEVER have damaged a place where I was staying.  But there is zero, nada, nothing on the profile and my cousin who is visiting me now said that these things are not really normal.  

Anyone got any ideas?  

What would you do?  

Laura

6 Replies 6
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Trust your instincts. They are telling you what you already know. I always find it weird in a time where we all have our phones on us 24 hours a day that it takes AIRBNB guests DAYS to return our messages and questions and yet they were quick to book the listing. With a whole house booking I would be worried about moving forward with the reservation \. Nope! Sorry I dont feel comfortable. I've yet to be sad I've missed out on money because I cancelled a reservation in where nothing adds up about the reservation. AIRBNB gets paid either way and theyve said many times they dont perform background checks and you take a risk by handing your house keys over to a complete stranger.

Good Luck!

Thank you!  

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Laura2625, I agree with @Zacharias0 , always trust your instincts. Unfortunately, if you cancel them yourself, you will be penalised, so I would contact Airbnb immediately and ask them to cancel - tell them you feel uncomfortable about the mismatching names and the lack of communication.

Oh!  This is really good information.  Thank you.  It is good to know that I can do this instead of being penalized.  

Thank you,

Laura  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2625 

I find that mismatching names are not uncommon and it isn't always a reason for alarm.

1. If the guest was registered as part of a group for a trip that another guest booked, they will often have a review where the host mentions the booking guest's name, not theirs. Groups of friends who travel together often take turns to make the reservation (especially as Airbnb sometimes gives discounts to first time bookings). However, it should mention under the review that the booking was part of a group reservation booked by someone else.

2. On a similar note, because Airbnb is offering discounts to first time users and really don't make it difficult for a guest to set up more than one account (even though they should), people will naturally take advantage of this to save money.

3. I have found that people of certain nationalities use an anglicised name insead of their real one (presumably becaues they get sick of people misspelling, mispronouncing and generally misunderstanding the latter). Sometimes, they decide to change that anglicised version to something else. That's confusing for the host, but not necessarily fishy. I find his common with Asian guests and I have a lot of female Eastern European friends who never use their actual real name. Sounds weird, but they think it is normal and not at all suspect. Examples: Tatjana = Tanya, Ioana = Joanna, Marta = Malina and Agnieska = Agnes, Agni and Aga. These are all people I know!

Also, loads of guests, especially the less experienced ones, have zero info on their profile. They just don't think to fill it out, not realising that hosts need to vet their guests a bit. I usually find if I simply ask them politely for the information I need, they respond positively and asap.

I agree, however, that if your gut instinct is telling you no, go with that. I am not keen on the idea of groups coming to party for Spring Break either! If you are getting a bad feeling in general, then better not to risk it, but don't ever do a cancellation yourself. Call Airbnb, explain the situation and ask them to do it on your behalf without any penalties to you.

Thank you!  

The people did get back to me and you were right, with your number one explaination.  

Also they told me some things about themselves so I feel better now.  

Hopefully this will be a positive experience.  

Thanks again!

Laura