unable to leave a response to a review

Sonia_Michael1
Level 2
Hargrave, United Kingdom

unable to leave a response to a review

When I go to the review I would like to respond to there is no 'leave a response' opportunity so i can't respond to a very unfair review someone has left. We didn't write this guest a review as we knew she was going to write (an unjustified!) bad review for us. 

I am wondering if we can't respond to her review because we didn't write one for her - but this doesn't seem fair...

Anyone out there who can help please?

Many thanks

14 Replies 14
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I have never not written a review so I cannot speak to that aspect.  Could be or it could be a system glitch and you should contact Air BNB.

Would you mind sharing your rationale for not writing a review?  As a host I always am interested in why a host does or doesn't do something.

Thanks for your reply. We had had a number of to and fro messages with this guest and we decided the best option for us was not to review them but to wait and write a response to their review - so we could see what they had complained about first. We have now found how to do a response and have responded. We still think that in this case it was the best way to handle it. 

Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

So, you can leave a response via the progress tab on your AirBnB host page. BUT, I just checked out your listing-I would not leave a response for 3 reasons:

1-You don't leave responses for any other reviews- all you are absolutely going to do is call attention to this one.

2-You get enough reviews that this one will be burried in no time.

2-Their review is subjective and not in line with any others, I am sure future guests (if they bother to read them all) will be able to weigh this one out on their own.

Going forward you may want to leave responses to reviews-just 1 or 2 sentences, that way if you do want to leave a clarfying response you will not be calling attention to it.

Good luck

It's so kind of you to reply. Unfortunately we had found out how to respond and had done so before we got your reply, and others... Your reply is very sensible and maybe what we should have done! Anyway, we have responded professionally and honestly and lets hope it all disappears soon!

I just saw it. Your guest will not see your response unless they randomly decide to go back and look-there is no AirBnB notification for responses.

Unfortunately, you really just put a big "Hey look at this  unhappy guest" sign on that review. My suggestion is to leave responses to your next 10 reviews so this one not only moves down the page faser but does not stick out as the only one.

Your responses are for the benefit of future guests. They don't care about the details of that persons stay or that you can pick out every moment of how you were right and that guest was wrong (in fact, since guests usually side with guests, even when the host is right, you still look unhospitable), new guests only care about predicting your hospitality for their stay.

Hope that helps.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

BTW I don't think the review was that negative.  It is obvious that this new guest (no other reviews) did not understand the difference between "entire suite" and "entire house".  They did concur with the other guest reviews that are positive about the place and you as hosts.

Since there are no other reviews for this guest, it probably would be helpful to the host community to have your perspective.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Sonia and Brendan

Always leave an honest factual review for guest ASAP after departure , whether or not you think they may leave a negative review.

Its not a case of ...well I will not leave a negative review because the guest will leave me a negative review.

It does not quite work like that, as you’ve just discovered .

Please as a fellow host, do  leave a factual honest review of the facts, not opinions or the worst review of all.....best suited to a hotel environment......er Hello? 

These vague reviews littered with “double speak” allow these poorly behaved guests to continually bounce along ,the air bnb platform from unsuspecting host to host, which is really not on.

Not responding to a negative review is just as bad....hoping the negative guest review will be buried amongst your majority of positive reviews.

Im glad you wish to respond to such a negative guest review and please don’t think that not replying to such a guest review puts you in a positive light.

It just means perhaps there is no smoke without fire, therefore I applaud your efforts to respond  factually, as its your chance to set the record straight regarding such guests.

I just wish such  lily livered hosts ,several of whom are more interested in their ‘“stats”, would  just stop burying their head in the sand, as the ostrich in the form of the poorly behaved guest, will not go away, but continue to proliferate.

I would Phone the London air bnb number to make sure your voice is heard, in response to this review.

Thanks for your reply. We have responded to the review now and feel better for it. We wanted to see what exactly the guest had said in her review and that's why we chose to wait and then write a response. It's all experience, I guess!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sonia_Michael1  I don't understand the reasoning behind "We knew guest was going to leave a bad review so we didn't write a review of the guest". What purpose does that serve?

Hi Sarah

We have responded to the review now and feel better for it. We wanted to see what exactly the guest had said in her review and that's why we chose to wait and then write a response. It's all experience, I guess!

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Sonia_Michael1 I found this very interesting - the others have pointed out really important info. It is a great idea to always respond with a review - don't try to figure out the guests. The review was positive BUT your long response pops out - and draws attention to it..... plus in future you have 14 days to respond to reviews....that way you can ask for assistance in the CC and then come up with a perfect solution... so I know you have learned from it.

It is good to thank all the folks for their review - and comment. Always send a review  of your guests for other hosts -  we count on this feedback - and for it to be honest. 

I think you might consider the way you list and word your place - I know you haven't have folks except this one - BUT for me that would be enough to say, maybe let's rethink how it reads. SO it is 100% clear that it is a shared space - we all want everyone happy and we want guests expectations met and above, which you obviously do, EXCEPT - I too would not be loving if I didn't understand how the living space was laid out. Just make it really clear - some folks do a floor plan in the photos - just an idea. your place is so fabulous....happy hosting, Clara

I am also unable to add my response to a review. How did you solved the problem?

Martin1240
Level 1
United Kingdom

I'm also unable to leave a response... I'm using Google Chrome. Could it be that Air B&B doesn't like Chrome? 

Lots of advice left here about the virtues of leaving responses to reviews but nothing about why some of us can't seem to do just that. 

Please help... The clock's ticking! 😉

Elizabeth