unapproved pets

Carmen943
Level 2
California, United States

unapproved pets

How do you handle unauthorized pets discovered after checkin of a 1 week stay?

8 Replies 8
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I assume this won’t help if it’s a current situation, but it should be clearly spelled out in your listing and/or in your house rules the consequences of a guest bringing an unauthorized pet.  If you indicate that you don’t accept pets at all, it is grounds for requiring the guest to vacate the property.  If you do accept pets, spell out what your pet charge is.  Other than adding the charge, it’s up to you whether you want to impose an additional fine for an unauthorized pet.

You might be thinking “But what about the bad review I might get?” Sometimes when you are new, you do need to consider the reviews, since with few reviews 1 bad one will influence future bookings.  However, in my opinion this should never be a factor in the case of clear-cut house rules violations.  

Airbnb should forfeit a guest’s right to review a host if a clear, proven violation of a major house rule such as this has occurred. Especially lately, there has been an increase in the blatant disregard of fundamental host rules.  Review concern should NEVER dissuade a host from fair-minded enforcement of his/her house rules.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Carmen943 Your rules clearly state no pets, so it seems that the guest is in the wrong. Are you happy to have the animal stay?  If so, I would advise them what the extra fee is that you would want to host a pet.  Also consider that an damage the pet may cause is not covered by the Host Guarantee (for whatever that's worth...). 

If you're not, I would give the guest the option to either put the animal into a boarding facility or modify their stay so that checkout is tomorrow. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Carmen943 I advise you to research the law on ESA and guide dogs etc.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

To clarify that point, as far as hosts and Airbnb are concerned, Airbnb’s assistance animal policy trumps laws, because a host who refuses a guest who claims they have a SA or ESA risks having their listing suspended or worse. And of course, all a guest has to do is claim to AIrbnb that their pet is an ESA. No papers necessary. 

@Carmen943 

IMG_20200807_125200 (1).jpg

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Carmen943  First, read this: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal

Airbnb lumps ESA’s in with service animals, so it’s not necessarily a clear cut case of the guest defying your ‘no pets’ rule. You have to proceed  carefully. A couple questions...how do you know about the animal? Have  you seen it  on your security cameras? Have you asked the guest about the animal?

Carmen943
Level 2
California, United States

Pet policy and camera use clearly advertised.  This is why this world is in the state it is in - no respect for the rules, other people and their property.  Justification for people to lie, cheat, and game the system.... ;-(

I was very flexible with this guest and in return I just get lied to.  It's definitely not a service animal but as a host too, she would know that that's all she had to say.  It just ruins it for the honest people.  A reminder that as a host, you cannot be nice because you have to cover your....

Sometimes these headaches are just not worth it!

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Carmen943 "I was very flexible with this guest and in return I just get lied to."

Well, it's generally true that the guest who requests an inch, will end up demanding miles and taking liberties unfortunately. It doesn't help that Airbnb breeds this kind of guest behavior. Never give in, from the first ask.

Keep in mind that SA's and ESA's must remain with the guest at all times. So, if you see on the camera that the guest leaves without the animal, you have more of a case of the guest breaking a rule. Save the footage and show it to Airbnb. But be sure you've disclosed your camera in both your listing description and your rules, otherwise Airbnb is very likely suspend your listing if the guest takes issue.