upcoming guest

Jane770
Level 3
Portland, OR

upcoming guest

Just heard from a guest coming next week that she expects 100% cotton sheets. I told her that our sheets are a blend (sateen finish). Her response is that the price she's paying would expect more. I told her that perhaps this wasn't a good fit and she is welcome to cancel.  I really don't want to deal with her and have awesome reviews (super host) and believe she will be tarnish my reputation. Suggestions? 

49 Replies 49
Niel3
Level 10
Llanberis, United Kingdom

Is it worth you buying a (cheap) set of cotton sheets? I had my first 4* review from a guest because I did not put a cotton sheet on her bed - she did not contact me first or say anything during her stay. This and your query lead me to believe "cotton sheet people" are pretty fussy. 🙂

I have Egyptian towels and I'm sure she'll find fault with them. 

U r so true . If u take a true complainer no matter how much u do they will complain 

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @Jane770: Not that it would apply to a fussy guest because why cloud the matter with facts, but if I were that fussy, I would bring my own sheets. I would also be quite tempted to message to that guest, "If you prefer 100% cotton sheets, you are welcome to bring your own." I am not certain that would be wise, but I sure would be considering it <snert>! On the logical side, @Niel3 does have a point. It might be worth investing in one inexpensive set of 100% cotton to keep on hand for just such occassions. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Definitely either provide those sheets or get her to cancel. She's going to be trouble.

How do you cancel wo penalities on Airbnb? 

Lisa is absolutely correct. In fact, I think she's going to be a pain in the you-know-what no matter what kind of sheets you have.  She's the type of person that needs to go the Ritz Carleton.  Don't accept the reservation, there are too many happy and grateful guests out there to make AirBnB a chore.

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

"for what they are paying"?   Its not a $300 a night luxury resort, its a very reasonable $82 a night.  Most budget motels are more then that and good luck getting cotton sheets there!   I agree, this guest is going to be a pain, even if you do go get cotton sheets they will find something else to be upset about.

It's $92 a night and priced very well. I think I should just try and cancel her. I'm in sales and I know when a customer will never be satisfied even if you accomodate them. They will find something else to complain about. 

Call Airbnb and explain that she is not a good fit for your property. Ask them if you could cancel without prejudice.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Don't buy sheets. Cheap cotton will not satisfy anyway. I am one of those ''cotton people''. The price of my sheets vary, my best sheets I wish I had more of are $600 each. Have slept in cheap cotton and it is not the same. Not that I will complain, I understand budget travel and will sleep on a rock if I must with no sheets at all. Don't host this guest unless she brings own sheets.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Jane770

Bless her heart. I wish you would paste her conversation here. It would be fun reading for all of us.

Your reading of guest is correct. Call Airbnb and see if they'll cancel her without penalty.

BTW, I place peas under all of my mattresses so that I don't get princesses

Hey Paul, 

Do you know if there is a contact number for Airbnb? I would love  to speak to someone directly. Thanks.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Paul154, there is no mention of peas in your listing. 1* for accuracy.