using stained sheets...

Jennifer630
Level 1
Málaga, Spain

using stained sheets...

Sheets are a big problem! i've bought several sheet sets, a few white (big mistake) then I went dark and still have problems. 

My guests and i'm sure it's women are getting some oil like stains on the sheets which I believe must be a cream or a oil based makeup remover. And oil doesn't wash out. 

So i've just found a new stain hours before someone is about to arrive. So I have no choice but to use the stained sheet. Which is 100% clean. But they're not going to know that and they'll think i'm dirty.  When you see a wet looking spot on a sheet, you automaticallly think it's a sex stain and dirty/gross. 

what can I do? I can't buy new sheets per customer. The oil base refuses to come out no matter what I do... wash... use. it's stuck on. 

Is it gross that I have to use the stained sheets?

thank you!

22 Replies 22

@Janice146 

What sheets do you use?  Do you find they wrinkle easily?  I am looking for sheet suggestions but I am sure you aware the majority of hosts are from USA.  Any suggestions for a fellow Canadian host 🙂

@Krystal16  My listing is in Mexico, but I am Canadian and am there for some time in the summer, where I try to pick up some sheets, as nice ones are almost impossible to find in Mexico. I have sometimes found some good deals at Winners- got a set last summer, silky smooth cotton, RalphLauren brand, 400 count for $40 (single bed size). I've also ordered online from Hudson's Bay, they often have online sales. And Ikea has decent, inexpensive sheets. I even found some  beautiful, thick cotton sheets in a lovely burnt orange color at Army/Navy in Vancouver, not sure if they exist in Toronto.

@Janice146  Have you tried Oxi Clean? I couldn't live without it. Costco has the big, 5kg I think, box for the best price. I had a guest leave my white towels grey, and also stained with PINK HAIR DYE. Oxi got it all out. I did have to do two long soaks (using hot water), but then just one wash on the white cycle. They were seriously brand new. I use it for all my cleaning. It's magic in my opinion. 

Yes!  I have found it. I quickly changed my detergent a while back and haven’t had any other issues.  Tide oxi was great and other boosters.  Now I use Norwex powdered detergent and their laundry boost. Works. Great. Sheets are whiter than ever. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

You have to use white sheets. I've removed blood with Oxy Clean and soaking in water with lots of bleach for a couple of hours. People perceive white sheets as the most cleanly color, according to studies.

Sydney150
Level 2
Des Moines, IA

I am really glad to have come across this post because I am having the EXACT same issue just a couple months into Airbnb. I already purchased three whole sheet sets and all of them are incurring ~oil~ stains specifically. I wash with hot water and rub dish soap to them and add baking soda as a detergent booster but still no luck. A lot of money spent if sheets I'm feeling so hopeless. They won't come out!! Have you found a solution since this post? Or a color or material that is less noticeable? I use a medium tone gray color and it's still an eye sore 😭😭😭

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sydney150 

Sydney are your sheets showing stain spots or bleached spots? I haven't come across a stain I could not remove by using this product.....

IMG20180918161836 2.jpg

Just a quick squirt and a bit of rubbing and it removes beetroot and other foods, make-up, suntan lotion, red wine totally, or to the point where is not distinguishable!

It is available in a number of countries.

However there are proprietary 'Acne' creams on the market which will leave bleach spots on bed linens and it is not possible to reinstate the sheets or pillows once they have come in contact with this cream. The active ingredient concerned is Benzoyl Peroxide which reduces comedones (blackheads and whiteheads), but it is also a bleach, so keep it well clear of your linens.

I am not mad on notes and instructions but I do ask guests not to sleep with acne cream applied and I ask them not to use nail polish remover near the bed linens and this has virtually stopped my linen losses.

I hope this helps you Sydney.

Cheers.........Rob

Lorena640
Level 1
Boston, MA

Hi, not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I use Shout Advanced stain remover gel in the blue bottle with the scrubber.  It gets out blood and almost every other stain I've had.  In every wash I also use oxy clean which is safe for colors.  Good luck!