violation of smoking policy

Jeremy5
Level 3
Malibu, CA

violation of smoking policy

We just had our first experience of guests who smoked in our Airstream when we have a clear no smoking policy (I have photos of the evidence).   I have searched for any info on how to handle or charge for this but not finding anything and unfortunately we're beyond the 48 hour security deposit timeline as it was over the holidays and things were crazy.  Anyone have experience with this they can share/thoughts/etc?

Thanks- Jeremy from Malibu

53 Replies 53
Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Bonnie117

Hi Bonnie, so sorry as only just found your reply.

If you look at my listing will give you an idea that I do not accept smokers.

In the House manual which my guests receive immediately after they have booked states;

"If you smoke we respectively request you cancel your booking."

I then follow this up with a welcome message, giving directions, Breakfast preference (allergies etc), reminder of no shoes policy in the home due to light coloured carpets

and finally

"that this is a non smoking home and do not accept smokers"

I have received requests from people who ask to stay and promise not to smoke in my home, the answer is always the same .... NO ... smokers have no idea how much they stink, its on their clothes, in their hair, in their luggage and I do not want my home contaminated.

Guests book my room in the safe knowledge that this home is clean, fresh and will never smell of **bleep** smoke

Dude, calm down. You’re not better than anyone else because you don’t smoke. When you write “no smokers”, you’re explicitly singling out a group of people,  not an act. You sound like a prejudiced **bleep**. 

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Nicola353

My House, My Rules .... Simples

If you don't like it then book else where

Oh I’m so delighted to read this - I currently have guests staying and one of the party is a smoker ( caught him returning from a **bleep** walk this morning - he stank it was disgusting ) 

i like you have stated everywhere we do not allow smokers as our cabin retains odors and I like to guarantee smoke free bedding etc 

should I ask them to leave today ? Although as they have spent one night already I’m guessing the pillow & bedding he used already has issues - I will mention it to them when they leave - it’s sad as his girlfriend had remarked how she loves our cabin. I am so cross at people not reading our house rules - or even the description as I have it clearly stated there ! We are island view cabin Tenby if anyone cares to look !! I may call Airbnb for advice here !

Jo228
Level 2
Victor Harbor, Australia

Hi, all interesting reading. We have just had guests arrive yesterday and when enjoying the sea views and wine that evening, decided on cigarettes too! We both live on the property and were somewhat shocked by the act (and the smell) but were unsure how to resolve it nicely.

They are newly weds ( middle aged ) and the stay with us was a gift to them, so we doubt they had even read our house rules which state clearly “no smoking on the property” which means out on the front verandah is a no no, anywhere is a no no.

My partner and I are struggling with this as she was concerned about their reaction and possible over reaction by asking them not to smoke at all on the property. And the consequences that could transpire if things got a bit nasty. 

We might let this one slide but we both want to make sure this does not happen again AT ALL. 

I know how you feel. I listed below what we did in a similar scenario.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

After having some guests smoke in the courtyards in the past, we decided to place visible signs,  to assist, within a  broader contingency plan.

* Scenario: The booking guest knew the house rules, but when other family members on the booking, arrived a day later, this rule was obviously not communicated. (Well it was his mother in law!)

We were choking on the smell upstairs as we had windows open....

So never again!

I’m a strict “non smoking” listed property, and as a result from rule breakers, I now have stickers on the entry doors that state “Thank you for not smoking”.  I’ve also got small stickers on outside walls in the courtyard areas 🚭.

It’s in my online house rules  and the Airbnb folder given to guests on arrival. I also always ask the guests if anyone smokes, looking at them all, stating strictly no smoking as I aim to maintain the property for allergy sufferers and to be “business ready”.  “BUT, if there is a smoker amongst you, there is a dedicated chair/bench in the “very far back corner of the yard” where I leave an enclosed outside ashtray.”

🙌🏼 Better to allocate a space that is antisocial away from everything, then to have guests trying to cheat. With the stickers in situ, it allows us to challenge a smoker near the building and balconies.

James411
Level 6
San Diego, CA

So as a host for over 8 years with "Super Host" status, I am left feeling bullied and demeaned when processing claims with Airbnb.  Airbnb resembles and behaves like a monopoly.

Guest claimed he was a group of four (4) coming to my city for a "conference".  He was actually a group of approximately 12 and came for a street party infamous for drunken partiers.  We decline guests with these types of venues due to years of bad experiences.  Clearly this guest had probably been declined by other hosts, so was prepped up to lie about his reason for staying.  This sociopath actually wrote that he did drugs in and around the building!  He is still being allowed to predate other hosts!

Airbnb clearly does not adhere to its own "Terms of Use"!   Sec. 11 specificially section 11.2. clearly conveys "damages" are to be resolved using deposits and/or "Host Guarantee".  Where does it denote smoking is not damage and that extra guest fees (mine are $25 per extra person) will be ignored?!   My house rules are extensive, because of how unscrupulous Airbnb is.  

With photographic evidence of smoking and video of a party taking place in the halls of my loft, airbnb arbitrarily calls smoke damage "extra cleaning".  They have completely disregarded sec. 11.3 with respect to the mediation clause.  I was a claims adjuster with an "rated" international P&C company and have never heard a professional assert smoke damage was "non-damage".  

Airbnb incentives guests not following the "Terms of Use" and ignoring "House Rules".  They then themeselves just make up their own reality regarding damages.  Not at all sustainable for any business.  This damage totaled over $750 and Airbnb wants to pay less than half.

Deckel Cigar.jpgIMG_6948.JPG

Deckel Ash.jpg

Hi, Did guest left a bad review? 

Christine455
Level 7
Meadview, AZ

I so regret ever having started with Airbnb.  The main reason was the "insurance."

The same guest that left my house reeking of smoke for a week and got me so much extra work gave me a BAD rating for value and location.   He specifically wrote that the bad rating wasn't for my listing, but for the Airbnb horrible support.

And maybe that's why they decided to smoke cigarettes inside. 

I've had so many UNHAPPY guests because of the AWFUL Airbnb support, I do NOT enjoy hosting anymore.

Is there any filter whereby smokers can find properties which allow smoking? ...If not,maybe there should be to avoid these sort of conflicts(?).

Thats a great Idea @Michael3323, even a few levels like

X-Smoking not permitted on the planet 

X -Smoking Cigarettes permitted in rental unit

X -Smoking Cigarettes permitted on property outdoors

X- Smoking anything Permitted on property outdoors

I would choose the third one cause with 9 acres of property, smoking cigs shouldn't disturb folks in any of our suites including our Glamper.  Stay well, JR

Angela1495
Level 1
St Johns, MI

Dealing with breach of non-smoking policy at the moment. Wanted to ask other hosts if anyone has been able to collect the fine for smoking, if you have it stated in your House Rules? Thank you.

LaToya16
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Any resolution from AIRBNB? I had guests burn a hole in my couch, gym mats, and hardwood floors! They tried to cover the smell with cologne! They smoke in the garage, the theatre room, front and back porch! They booked for 3 people and at one point in the video it was 15 young kids drinking. The broke my projector and stole my corn hole game smh!

AIRBNB has to do better to support us! 

Matt3277
Level 1
Sandy, UT

It’s crazy to me that a guest can violate the rules (smoke) and Airbnb won’t disable their ability to leave a review. We end up in a situation where we can’t confront them about the smoking because it’s likely that they’ll leave a bad review.