violation of smoking policy

Jeremy5
Level 3
Malibu, CA

violation of smoking policy

We just had our first experience of guests who smoked in our Airstream when we have a clear no smoking policy (I have photos of the evidence).   I have searched for any info on how to handle or charge for this but not finding anything and unfortunately we're beyond the 48 hour security deposit timeline as it was over the holidays and things were crazy.  Anyone have experience with this they can share/thoughts/etc?

Thanks- Jeremy from Malibu

53 Replies 53
Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

This has been a long thread and has lots of anger associated with it in places.  Non smokers can smell a cig butt from 1/2 a mile away, thats a fact.  

I'm an ex smoker (going on 4 years now) that isn't really bothered by people making choices to smoke as long as they don't smoke in our rental units or home.  Out of 300+ bookings, we only remember 2 that decided our rules weren't applicable to them and smoked inside, it took a little extra cleaning but no other guests ever mentioned any lingering odor!  We also live there so if they were smoking inside, we probably would smell it in most cases.

We do encourage smokers to go outside (we live on 9 acres of beautiful lands) and enjoy a smoke even putting ashtrays where appropriate, I believe that has probably helped stop potential rule breaking.  If you've never smoked yourself, you don't understand that if your a smoker, you must smoke or you will make everyone around you hate you for more than smelling like a cig butt.  If a host doesn't find or have a place they can smoke, you should just say no smokers period otherwise your inviting problems somehow thinking they will not need to smoke while they are staying with you.  Stay well, JR

Rosie201
Level 1
Dallas, TX

I went above and beyond to become a Host, and had my first guest checkout today and upon opening the door, it was very clear she smoked weed inside. The smell was so potent and made my entire house reek. I dont have any reviews and REALLY wanted her to have the best experience and share it with others. How should I handle this? I have huge windows and aired out and cleaned for hours and still reeks....next guest checked in at 3pm after her 11am checkout. I'm nervous he's going to give me a bad review over the smell!!! What do I do???? I need additional payment to get this smell out. I did not take a deposit.

Alasma0
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Airbnb is useless for paying any damage. Always on guests side.

Alasma0
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Airbnb is useless for reimbursement. Guests will never admit their mistake. Unfortunately smell can't be proved. Let me know if any1 figure out. Try to make photos specially check bins for proof as soon as guests leave. I wish we could take damage deposit ourselves or abnb can pre authorise on guests account. So guests know that they will not be able to get their money back. 

Agree with previous submissions review is best tool.

Alasma 

Dora495
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi any chance heard of this smoke detection/noise detection device https://www.wyndhalo.com/ ? I was speaking to another airbnb host and they said they used to this to submit as evidence and was able to receive costs from smoke related damages. If so, curious to hear your thoughts!

Has AirBnb EVER sided with hosts on a damage claim? I've never seen it.

@Aaron685  Yes, they do. Many hosts here have said they were successful. I don't know what factors are involved, aside from following the claim procedure to the letter, but I know small claims are more easily gotten than large ones, and I think some hosts are better at knowing how to communicate with CS.

What you have to bear in mind is that hosts usually come to hosting forums when they have a problem, not to report that everything worked out fine.

Dora495
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone - has anyone tried this smoke detection/noise detection device https://www.wyndhalo.com/ ? I was speaking to another airbnb host and they said they used to this to submit as evidence and was able to receive costs from smoke related damages. If so, curious to hear your thoughts!

Jolie32
Level 2
Tallahassee, FL

It sounds like there is very little recourse for a guest who smokes (in my case, it was pot smoking).  What makes is worse for me is that smoke aggravates my asthma and it's a health hazard for me.