visibility for booked guests.

Cheryl830
Level 2
Wiarton, Canada

visibility for booked guests.

I see from a post 4 years ago that there was an option to not show a hosts exact address until after the free cancellation period.  Icannot seem to find this option so I am wondering if it is no longer an option or just not an option in Canada.  

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Cheryl830 

The option is still there (at least on the website in Europe).

It is at menu "listing details" - go to section "location" - edit "location sharing" - scroll down, below the map you see:

Address privacy for cancellations
When this setting is on, guests won't be shown your address, last name, or phone number while they’re able to cancel for free. After the free cancellation window, we’ll send guests this information.

You can turn it on or off with the slider.
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Cheryl830, @Emiel1 

For your information from another Wiarton host.  The website does not show address or personal information until a booking is confirmed.  There is no option to change this, as far as I could find.

@Cheryl830Be aware, there is a glitch when searching incognito for  Wiarton, Mallory Beach Road, Hepworth, Colpoy's Bay, South Bruce.  My legally deeded address is in Wiarton (on Mallory Beach Road, that follows Colpoys'sBay), but for at least the last 18 months, I do not appear in Wiarton or Colpoy's Bay incognito searches. 

This is also happening  when I search our neighbour Airbnb in Hepworth.  Until 2 weeks ago, never had an issue, now have to us SBP.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@M199 

That is correct. But @Cheryl830  was referring to the situation when a booking is confirmed.

The described option, when activated, will not provide those private information when guest is still in the 48 hours 'free cancellation' period.

Thank you both for your responses.  Maybe I can be more precise.  As I understand it (and I will admit, as a newbie to hosting that I am finding navigation of the app challenging) if I  choose a moderate cancellation policy, then the guest has up until 5 days before the booked date to cancel fora full refund.  I would prefer that the guest does not have an exact address until they are past the cancellation date to avoid scammers for all the reasons posted in an earlier (2018) conversation on this topic.  However search as I might, I can’t seem to find out how to apply this rule to my listing.  However since @Emiel1 has confirmed that this option is available I will contact Airbnb for tech support.
My understanding is that the 48 hour free cancellation applies to the strict cancellation policy since the moderate gives them up until 5 days prior to the date to cancel.