washing sheets for longer term guests

Sally190
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

washing sheets for longer term guests

I have my first long term guest (8 weeks.) She is paying £10 for cleaning total for her stay. I am not planning to clean her room while she is here - I'm expecting her to do that (she can use my products).   I am wondering what to do about washing her sheets? Should she do this herself or should I do it for her? Should I charge her to use my washing machine / dryer / laundry liquid?  I guess she will want to wash her clothes too. How much do others charge for use of washing machine or do you not charge at all?  In 8 weeks with clothes and sheets she could be doing nearly 20 washes? I'd be really interested to know what others do. Thanks for any help you can give.

20 Replies 20
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Really depends what you have included in your house rules @Sally190

I cost my long term bookings to include a weekly clean and changing of towels and linens and one weekly wash for longer term stays for their personal items. If they want to do more they can use a local laundry.

You can't charge her for facilities that you have been as being included in your listing.

What are you doing about your kitchen access - are you still expecting your guest not to use it?

Sally190
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Helen. Yes she is using the kitchen whilst she is here.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Sally190 ,

Normally the host is providing the bedding stuff. So you can give her regurarly new sheets (I allways ask long term stay guests to sent me message if they want fresh stuff)  to make the bed herself. (you then wash the used ones yourself). She only needs to use washing machine to wash clothes. Max. once a week is normal limit. If your listing not states guest are charged for it, then the use should be free. She can buy detergent by herself.

Best regards,

Emiel

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sally190  In addition to the advice you've been given,  most hosts would want to deal with the laundering of sheets and towels themselves. That way you can check for any stains and pre-treat them, whereas a guest would be inclined to just throw them in the washer on hot, thereby cooking the stain in so it never comes out. If you find make-up satins all over the towels, for instance, then you can ask her to please use make-up wipes or just go buy some and give them to her.

And hosts who have long term guests recommend going in the guest quarters once a week or so to vacuum, dust or change out bedding simply because it gives the host an opportunity to make sure the guest isn't living like a pig in there, with food remnants around attracting pests, or leaving glasses or products on wooden furniture that are damaging the finish, etc. Also guests will be more inclined to keep the space in reasonable condition when they know you'll be coming in on a regualr basis. Of course, you have to let the guest know this is what you do before their arrival and arrange a mutually acceptable time with them after they arrive. 

If it becomes obvious that your guest is a clean freak, you could always ask her after the first time you go in to clean, only to find it immaculate, if she'd prefer that you didn't go in at all and would rather look after the cleaning herself.

Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

Hi @Sally190 I offer my long term guests a change of fresh linen (sheets , towels, pillow covers, dish towels etc) on a weekly basis then I launder my own linen so I can treat stains etc as they happen, I also have a coin operated washing machine and dryer that the guests can use at any time.

This makes life so much easier. The washing machine and dryer are both pre programmed for either normal wash or light wash, so guests cannot change the cycles either.

@Sally190

It would have been best if you had all this worked out with the guest before she checked in.

Unless you informed your guest about extra charges for the washing machine, I don't think it's a good idea. I think at a minimum, you should handle washing of the sheets, covers and towels - provide 1 weeks worth and have the guest leave the ones that need washing in a basket or something. You could also allow 1 load of laundry per week for her personal items. 

Henry and I just prefer to include the guest bedroom and bathroom when we clean the shared spaces - just a quick vaccum of the floors and emptying the trash bins. It's a way to make sure the guest spaces maintain a basic level of cleanliness and hygine. (Henry once found a bag of moldy oranges in the corner of the room - guest forgot they were in the bag.)

My listing description is really long, detailed and wordy....... but I host a lot of long-term guests. If you need some ideas, feel free to check out my listing. 

Also, if you think your guest seems to be a reasonable person, it might be best to think about how YOU want to handle things, summarized them clearly, then explain to the guest these are some things that should have probably been discussed before check in but it's your first time hosting someone so long, so you'd like the guest's input on how best to handle things. Talk about what works for both of you, then come to an agreement. Summarize and reiterate thru the ABB messenger. 

Good luck~

Thanks. It all happened rather quickly and unexpectedly (I had only just listed my room) and I was ill so not thinking clearly! She is very nice so I will discuss with her and will be better prepared next time!

Nicole1062
Level 2
Fairfield, PA

@Sally190I consider my longer stays as monthly renters, they get a monthly short term lease agreement that has to be signed. I leave washing detergent and kitchen supplies and they have free use of the townhome. All cleaning of sheets/towels (included with rental) are their responsibility during the stay. I do word the agreement that I can enter the premises for an inspection at any time with 24 hours notice, unless performing an emergency repair, which requires no notice.

Hi! Would you kindly provide me with the lease agreement you came up with that sounds great! Good idea 🙂

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

LONG term - linen options vary depending on persons.

- But I would offer two towels for a week, or every six days. I would offer s change of bedding every six to seven days. Any longer any body oils start to really stain, especially in pillow cases.

I would nicely bundle towels, face washer, hand towel and floor mat together. (Dish towels/ tea towels together)  The sheets and pillow cases bundled separately, but at the same time. I label (post it note) the sizing if more than one bed size.

I communicate that ALL towels and bedding are to be placed in a particular basket or on the laundry floor, for ME to wash/launder (within 24hrs). That’s my job! 

I have offered to change the beds over, but no one has ever taken me up in this. They have changed over the sheets themselves.

But depending, on the guest/s, in a shared space, I would request to basic clean weekly. But in my own separate homestay, I leave the cleaning during this time to them during their stay. I provide all cleaning tools and products in the laundry for the guest to use.

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

My apartments are self contained and i live downstairs.  For any stays over 11 days, I pack a change of bed linen and towels and leave in each wardrobe, telling them to leave the soiled ones in a basket and msg me to pick them up when they change them.  Both my apartments have small washing machines, one is a caravan one that is hidden in a kitchen cupboard, and neither have hanging space large enough for sheets.  I also prefer to wash them myself to treat any stains and fold properly so no wrinkles - i only iron pillow cases.  I find that they dont usually bother to change them until about the 3 week mark.  

When i collect the washing i leave another pack if they are staying on more than 11 days.

I havent yet had anyone wanting to change them earlier, say 3 days, fingers crossed.

Wow, you’re  a brave woman @Wendy117

MY bed linen dilemma & observations:

- I live in the TROPICS and stains and body oils will set/cure in the bedding, in the general daily heat.

- I was away once and left a cohost to leave the bedding on the bed for two days after the guests left and YUK! Stains and oils were horrific and the sheets and pillowcases could not be saved.... 😱

- artificial tan products can wear off onto bedding, as some guests like to look sun kissed on their holiday😱

- irregular washing encourages bed bugs to hang around with all those dead skin cells... 😱

- a room can become stale smelling, including the soft furnishings if bedding is not regularly refreshed... 😱

Actions:

If I don’t get the sheets handed over at the end of a week, I state I’ll have to come in and collect them. That gets them off their beds pretty quickly! AND no, I haven’t ever been marked down on it in the reviews! 

Yay... 🤗

PS: 1. I also only iron pillowcases! 👍🏼 2. Your place is wonderful!

True Cathie. Even in Sydney  I throw out a lot of linen due to the british need to go to the beach brown.  I have No artificial tan' in my house rules but .....  I used to provide top quality bed linen but now it is ikea so i dont stress so much. Crisp and clean but no longer 1000gsm.

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

I state in my listing , no maid service, washer/Dryer not available, however I do provide plenty of towels, and extra bed linen (pillow cases, sheets) , the bed linen is in one of the dresser drawers nicely folded. I then let the guests know that I do not come into their cottage during their stay however they have plenty of linen and towels for their use. I then ask them to contact me when it is time for me to pick up the used towels and linen, (the cottage has a hamper with a bag in it that the guests pull out) I intruct them to leave tha hamper bag outside of the cottage for me to pick up. I then replace the exact number of bed linen and towels that the guest gave me, along with a washed hamper bag. 

Rubén