washing sheets for longer term guests

Sally190
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

washing sheets for longer term guests

I have my first long term guest (8 weeks.) She is paying £10 for cleaning total for her stay. I am not planning to clean her room while she is here - I'm expecting her to do that (she can use my products).   I am wondering what to do about washing her sheets? Should she do this herself or should I do it for her? Should I charge her to use my washing machine / dryer / laundry liquid?  I guess she will want to wash her clothes too. How much do others charge for use of washing machine or do you not charge at all?  In 8 weeks with clothes and sheets she could be doing nearly 20 washes? I'd be really interested to know what others do. Thanks for any help you can give.

20 Replies 20
Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

@Sally190, I recently had my first long term rental and I discussed that stuff with them at check-in. I asked if they wanted to have someone come in and clean or if they wanted to do it themselves. I made sure they had an extra set of linen for each bed and laundry detergent. As far as charging them for using the washer and dryer, I don't because if you charge them they will be more inclined not to do laundry and I would rather pay for the laundry cost then them using the same linens and towels for a long time.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sally190

I've had quite a few longer term guests and I have learnt to play it by ear a bit.

For guests staying over a week but less than a month, I offer them to clean their rooms and do a linen change half way through their stays. Some take me up on it and others not, e.g. my current 10 day guest said not to worry about it, but I did supply her with two sets each of bath and handtowels and washcloths when she arrived.

For guests staying a few months, I offer the same, but once every couple of weeks, but they never want it, so I supply them with two sets of bedding and towels each so they can do it themselves. Most don't want you messing around with their stuff or in their room too often.

However, I have had guests that do not keep the room clean nor take care of the linens. So, I leave make up wipes in the bedrooms, which have a sticker on them asking the guest to use these to remove make up instead of towels. I do this with short term guests too. It seems to have helped.

I also told my current long-term guest that although I knew she would keep the room clean, I would need to go in every couple of weeks to clean some stuff that even the cleanest guests never do, e.g. dust the bookshelves and shutters, vacuum the upholstery. She was happy to accept this as I'm sure she wasn't planning to do that level of cleaning!

As for use of the washing machine, I restrict this to guests staying over a week. Anyone else can pay me to do their laundry (£3 a load, which I think is very reasonable). I don't want loads of short-term guests messing with my machine and potentially breaking it, nor putting on a long wash for two t-shirts, as I have an 8kg machine. I have noticed that some hosts restrict guests to one load per week. I think that's a good idea and I might try it.

Reshma5
Level 2
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom

I am new to hosting too. Your post has been helpful. But where do the guests pay you? Are you charging through AirB&B?

Tracy784
Level 2
Hednesford, United Kingdom

Hi I have this dilemma too . Have a guest 2months. With the cleaning fee of £15 one off. I’ve also given a 25% discount for staying that long. Are they expecting me to do the washing either bedding and the towels or do they do it? My initial thoughts are that they do it because I’ve rented the property now what are the people thoughts?.The property is a self contained flat . 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As mentioned earlier in this thread it depends on what you have said in your listing. @Tracy784 

Personally as a home share host, I give my guests a lower month discount and provide regular cleans and wash their bedding and towels.

If it's self-contained I would have costed in a fortnightly clean and linen/towel change so I can make sure the property is maintained.

Tracy784
Level 2
Hednesford, United Kingdom

Hi Helen. 

Totally agree if it was a room share .

I’ve only ever had one long term and that was when I first started and I didn’t have a washing machine then so yes I did the bedding /towels washing weekly for the guests. It also gave me an excuse to check the property as they never ventilated the bathroom and I had mould to deal with when they left . 
i haven’t put anything down in the listing as i don’t wanna bombard potential guests with loads of instructions if that makes sense. 
Now  I have a washing machine I don’t see why they can’t do it . I may consider a fortnightly change s you suggested as I can check up on the property . 
just wander what the general feel is ?

thanks