we're moving! what options for passing on business to a new host?

You-House0
Level 3
Bangkok, Thailand

we're moving! what options for passing on business to a new host?

Hello everyone!

After 19 years in Asia, it's time for me to move back to America. My mother has been hospitalized since July and it's too much for my father (age 82) to handle alone. 

I've been renting 3 houses here in Bangkok and have 25 bedrooms for sale on Airbnb. We're attempting to sell each of the 3 businesses. There are 3 possibilities:

- new owner makes no changes, rooms keep selling like now

- new owner shuts down for renovation

- we walk away, leaving the landlord with the empty house

In all 3 cases my 3 leases will be terminated. 

What possible outcomes are there for me and my Airbnb account? I have some bookings into February already. 

I look forward to reading your responses!

😄

Robert

11 Replies 11
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@You-House0  You can't sell an Airbnb "business". The business is personal to the host. Listings aren't transferable, and all the ratings and reviews stay with the original host. A new host would have to set up their own listing and start anew. The most you could do is let them use your photos, sell them the furnishings, and let them have any upcoming bookings, but only after you notify booked guests of the changeover and give them the option of cancelling with full refund.

You can't just pass on confirmed bookings- it would be unfair to the guests. Guests look at the reviews and ratings which you, as a host, have earned. You have no idea if the new host would be a good one and guests would be being deceived if they aren't given the choice to cancel or keep the booking with a new host.

So I think Option number 3 is your only real option and you have to notify all the booked guests ASAP that you are moving and closing down the business. Contact Airbnb to find out how to best go about this so the guests don't suffer and you won't be penalized.

You-House0
Level 3
Bangkok, Thailand

Hi! Yes. Good clarification. I’m selling the guest house business (3 houses, 25 bedrooms, 25 beds, 30 air conditioning units, etc.). I am not selling my personal airbnb profile. 

@You-House0It's still not an "Airbnb business". Your profile belongs to you as a person: you can't transfer it to another person. As a previous host said, the person who purchases the property will need to set up their own Airbnb profile and begin anew. Transferring your account to another person can get the profile permanently deactivated. 

Hi Alexandra!

Thanks for input. Yes. Good clarification. I’m selling the guest house business (3 houses, 25 bedrooms, 25 beds, 30 air conditioning units, etc.). I am not selling my personal airbnb profile. 

@MyFriendsHouse0  How can you sell 3 houses which you don't own? You asked for advice, but you seem to be choosing to be willfully deaf to the responses.

Hello again Sarah! 

I'm selling a business. Most businesses are in rented spaces - they don't own. Think of a shopping mall: JC Penny, Macy's, Footlocker, etc. I'm selling the business and not selling my Airbnb profile. Most of the responses have fixated on Airbnb profiles not being allowed (by Airbnb rules) to be sold. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The next host will start from "0". It's like to sell a healthy, profitable company without the brand, without the existing contracts and without personnel. It's not a business. The most expensive parts of any business are the reputation and the management.

Hi Dimitar!
Yes, it's a it like that. Except our guest house has a restaurant in it. Airbnb is one avenue of revenue, there's also Booking, Expedia, and Traveloka along with their networks (Hotel.com, Ctrip, etc). Then there's the reviews on Google Maps and TripAdvisor. So all of these will remain. Just me and my personal Airbnb account are leaving. 

MyFriendsHouse0
Level 2
Bangkok, Thailand

I'm not confused about selling or not selling my Airbnb account. I know that is against Airbnb's rules and... I don't think I could make any money selling it anyway! lol

I'm selling a guest house business. I'd like to walk away with my Airbnb in good standing. So I'm looking for people with similar experiences. 

For example, since I'm losing all 3 leases in 2019, that should exempt me from any monetary responsibility to guests and penalties from Airbnb with a booking in February 2020. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@You-House0   It appears to me that the input provided to you is not what you are looking for.   Perhaps you have aspects of your business that do not involve the Air BNB platform and that is what you are selling.  You seem aware of the process for shutting down your profile whick will require you to cancel any upcoming reservations.  Just in case, here is an article from the Help Center that will explain the process.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/240/how-do-i-deactivate-or-delete-my-account

You-House0
Level 3
Bangkok, Thailand

No one here has either sold a business or has 2nd hand knowledge of selling a business?