weird attitudes

Diane282
Level 2
Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA

weird attitudes

I just had some guest leave that were here for three nights and never went out. I wasn't able to clean the room for them because I wanted to respect there privacy.  I happened to be a host that puts a lot of thought and energy into the food and drinks I include, etc, and Its super clean when they arrive. So these guest not leaving at all for three night, I did my best to stay very quit and stay close by in case something came up and they needed something.  

In my review they mentioned my interesting lodging, how the views were and the hiking trails, and they enjoyed talking to my over paid gardeners.  Meanwhile I have done everthing possible so that there stay is a graet experince.. And also when they left the room was filthy.

Not one word thanking me for anything.  This really annoyed me. I really think I should stop altogether hosting. 

Please, can anyone relate to this or am I expecting too much?

16 Replies 16
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I have had these types of guests, do not say much on the ride to my place, and answer any question with only one-word syllables. Their choice.

Diane282
Level 2
Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA

thanks for understanding

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

KiaOra @Diane282 You have a beautiful place. They left you a nice review so they must have been content to stay in and soak up the ambience, vista and all the lovely things you,left them.  😉 

There could be many reasons why they didn’t want to go out. Maybe that was their plan. 

Maybe take a break from hosting for a while. (Hugs) 

Diane282
Level 2
Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA

thanks Ria

xoxo

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I'm not sure if you're serious, just venting or having a bad day and are slightly vexed.

At $265/night + cleanings fees, I would be thanking the guests, and not really caring if the guests thanked me. That kind of money buys a lot a therapy for bruised feelings!

Your place is beautiful. Consider moving in and take a vacation!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"That kind of money buys a lot a therapy for bruised feelings!"

Better yet, take nothing personal and safe the money.

Diane282
Level 2
Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA

It costs a lot to live here on the pennisula and you don't have to book a room here. Just my property tax is like 40 thousand a year.   I make it very nice for guests and a thank you would have been nice.

Thanks, but no thank.

We jest Diane, you do live in one of the most coveted areas of the U.S. The taxes are indeed 'exorbitant', they tend to be in the 'People's Repubic of California'; I lived in La Jolla for a while.   And your guests surely are always gracious, why the rare total deadbeat is so surprising. This board sometimes morphs into Comedy Central in a jiffy. 🙂

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Diane282

Not all guests are the perfect match for your style. That is a part of hosting you would have to factor in.  Perhaps they had a Christmas gift for a getaway and wanted to splurge and spoil themselves a bit. They paid and they did no damage, that is the main thing.

Money was not an issue for these people, but thanks for your comments. I appreciate it.

Alejandra163
Level 2
Quito, Ecuador

You have accept the way people is..if they respect your rules I don't see the problem

good for you

It was philosphical slight, very delierate.

I except all sorts of people, nice ones and rude ones, its just they deliberatley said everything nice about the view, my gardeners, the hiking, but not the house I built or how prepared I was for them, anything  positive about what I provided was purposely left. out.  It was deliberate .

And it was filthy, grossly dirty.