what does additional guest mean?

Marie58
Level 2
Washington, DC

what does additional guest mean?

We have 2 rooms on our site.  Both say occupancy 2.  One has 2 twin beds and the other a full bed.  The rooms do not have space for another mattress or even a cot. Now guest say they will be 3.  We do not have additional fee for extra guest.  I was thinking additional guest would be max two in each of the rooms. The quest reminded me that there is no additional fee for added a guest. I need to better understand this rule.  Can a guest have 3 in a room, when room specifizes "2" and say added guest is no charge?  I noted to guest that we have a den with a futon, and they noted my house rule of no additional charge.  Do I need to oblige the guest with another room at no added charge because house rules said no fee for additional guest?

5 Replies 5
Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

Contact Airbnb and ask them to handle this. If you can't fit another person, you can't fit another person, no ifs ands or buts. Contact them via Twitter or FB and let them know...this sounds like a guest who is trying to take advantage. 

John212
Level 3
San Francisco, CA

Hello!  How many people did the guest list when they made the reservation?  I think, even with instant bookings, they cannot list more than the room will allow as maximum. Go and see how many guests they listed. This is their legal contract with you.  If it says more than 2,  immediately change this in your listing on airbnb.  If they only listed 2 people, in their reservation, explain that is all you are prepared for.  By the way, you dont Have to make up the futon, if you dont want to. They reserved one room for 2 people.   If another joins them,..so be it. They can sleep in that One room, on the floor.  They only rented one space from you. Dont charge , and give them a pillow and a blanket, and show them the floor.  They are trying to pull a scam on you. You could then say, if they want the futon, there is a $30 per day fee.  Let them decide. You may not have listed that you charge for an extra guest, but you also didnt list anything more than the one room they booked. If they all want to crash in there together to save money,...let em lol. 

Hello! 

This is a tricky situation, because I'm sure you want to please them, but don't want to be taken advantage of.  I don't think you need to do anything different than what they originally requested.  In our opinion, if they add more guests and they are aware of the "2" person occupancy, then they'll have to figure out who is sleeping where.   We have had guests with additional visitors and we didn't do anything out of the ordinary. 

Good Luck! 

@Marie58

It seems pretty straightforward.

Room Occupancy = 2 people.

"The quest reminded me that there is no additional fee for added a guest."

You could tell them they are abolutely correct, and that is because the maximum room occupancy is 2.

I would call Airbnb explain the situation and have them cancel the guests.

My experience is if guests try to squeeze the host, it is a sign of future headaches.

Mark1365
Level 2
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

You should always cover yourself by adding such things to your house rules section in your listing . If you don’t say a guest can’t do something. Ad they do ... you leave yourself open ....   and extra guest costs you more money in bedding , towels and water ... that person is a value to you