what is a W-9

what is a W-9

I'm unclear about what I do here. Is this a form I generate or is it issued by Airbnb? Is income listed on this reported to the IRS? I'm a US citizen with property in the US.

9 Replies 9

A W-9 is a tax form form. 

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/082714/purpose-w9-form.asp

Airbnb will use the information on it to send you and the IRS a 1099 of earnings at the end of the year. 

Desiree3
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Hi @Anonymous

I'm Mattie from Shared Economy CPA

When you begin contracting, you may be required to file a W-9 tax form.  The W-9 tax form is used by the various companies (e.g. Uber, Airbnb, etc.) to issue you your 1099 Form. It is usually generated by Airbnb and the income listed on this report is sent to the IRS through the 1099 Form. The W-9 is identification information about the contractor (you in this case).  You can use your personal information and you do not need a formal legal entity (e.g. LLC/S-Corp) to file a W-9 tax form.

This is also important for a business to have this documentation as it will be substantive proof that the contractor was paid and the business will be able to deduct the independent contractor's expenses as a reasonable business expense.

This is my first time listing with Airbnb. I have always filed a Schedule E with my 1040. I do my own taxes with turbo tax. Does this mean I will need to complete a Schedule E showing income and expenses for my rental BUT not including the income that shows on 1099 Misc?? That is confusing me? Any answers ?

Nick49
Level 1
Portland, ME

I know what all of this is, but is there a way for Airbnb to withhold tax, based off of what the number of dependents I claimed?

That's the basic procedure for all the companies that own business in the US. There you ought to write out all the incomes you got from doing business with Airbnb. Most companies send them by themselves prefilled with their credentials, but nonetheless you can write it down in person, all you need here is a ready to fill template of form here https://w9.pdffiller.com (for a purpose of filling it online), or by the IRS website (can be filled online there as well yet slower, to print and fill out manually will be a better option)

I am trying to book through Air BNB for business travel. My company requires a W9 from any vendor yet I can't contact the vendor directly to get the form. I was just told I can't get this form from Air BnB. Is there a solution to this dilemma?

Julie

Mercedes242
Level 1
Dalton, GA

I would like to know if Airbnb will send to me my Form W to do my income tax. Thank you.

The w9 form is for writing your income. Usually it is sent by a company, but also you can fill it by yourself online, there're plenty of tools in internet like this https://pdfliner.com/form_w_9.  This form is important for every kind of business as it prooves that money was paid to the contractor

Sandi173
Level 2
Laurel, MT

Question is what kind of form do hosts need to fill out for people that clean for them if over $600.    I know there is a 1099 Misc and a 1099 NEC but unsure what I need to do.  Thanks

Sandi 173