what will bring me more income in ...1-2 guests ?

Dee8
Level 3
Belfast, United Kingdom

what will bring me more income in ...1-2 guests ?

i have 1 double bedroom to let , here is my listing ( https://www.airbnb.co.uk/manage-your-space/20275941/details )

i have recently changed from letting 1 guest to letting 2 guests stay but i have found that 2 guests will be more disruptive and generally not respectfull of house rules as 1 guest...but i do need the money and thats the only reson i went with 2 guests in a double. 

breakfasts for 2 guests is also more expensive and more of a pain.  

maybe some of you can help me fine tweak my listing please as i really do need some advice. 

should i keep it how it is now or change it back to 2 guests ? 

what would you recommend me set me price per day at for 2 guests 

what would you recommend i set me price at for 1 guest ? 

should i keep the breakfast going ?  for decent reviews at least ....although last few guests have not even had the decency to leave me a review .

need some advice

thanks in advance

6 Replies 6
Dee8
Level 3
Belfast, United Kingdom

overall would more people travel alone or in two,s   

what do you think ? 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Dee8 I think you would be busier and get more income by allowing two people to stay.

Maybe  change things around a little. Offer less for breakfast ?  just continental style would be ample. 

You could change your maximum stay time as well 😉 Worth a go..Good luck 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Two separate issues: 2 people versus 1. and serving breakfast.

As you say, You want to make money.

I get 4 times more couples than single people.

While I find couples more easy, you find them more problematic.

Serving them breakfast may give you the feeling that they're taking over your kitchen.

If you insist on serving breakfast, charge $15 extra/guest:  $10 for the extra guest + $5 for the extra breakfast.

At your price, I would not serve breakfast.  But that may be cultural.

@Ria16   @Dee8  You could charge extra for second guest, and maybe put the price down for one guest. Factor in how much more it costs with extra laundry, towels, sheets breakfast, toiletries, hot water usage etc.  I get a lot of singles even though I offer a double room: job interviews, courses, business etc. Check out your area and see if that could be a vibrant market for you.  I am beginning to prefer people who travel on their own  - overall they have been far more responsible and respectful of the space,  they read the description, amenities etc., are very responsive and they do some research before coming. Of course I have had couples who do the same, but it's not quite as many.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Dee8

I think your price including breakfast is a bit low, click the link to check prices in your area.

Rental estimates for sites like airbnb

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Dee, yes much to consider. One aspect of charging for two is that the ~mention of money~ doesn't haveto come up (for a 2-person place of course). ~IF~ 80%+ of your guests come as a couple, it means you have to raise the subject of an 'extra charge' at least 80% of the time; by charging for two you never have to bring up the subject 100% of the time.

Personally, I am not a fan of having to discuss money with my guests, IF I can help it. Why going with Airbnb is a plus, they do the 'unpleasantries' before the guest even arrives. Just a thought, and good question.