when do door codes get sent to guests?

when do door codes get sent to guests?

just called airbnb to ask this, but they seem to be confused and said our door codes get sent when someone books.

which seems crazy that someone booking 2+ months out would get the door code to my house that far in advance because that's a security issue and also, we tend to change the codes frequently, so the code might be different 2+ months from now.

been using airbnb since 2009 as guest and host, but i just don't know the answer.

thanks for any clarification!

-ryanne

10 Replies 10
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Ryanne-And-Jay0 which feature of the platform are you using to send door codes? If the door code is in your house manual or directions, guests will see it on a confirmed booking. If the door code is in your check-in guide, Airbnb claims to send that 3 days before check in but based on all available evidence that is untrue or at least unreliable. Your best method of controlling when door codes are sent is to send them yourself.

@Ryanne-And-Jay0   I always send mine out 3 days before. Also for security each code is the last 4 numbers of their cellphone. 

thanks. yes we have the code in the Guest resources section along with the wifi passwords. our last two guests could not or did not see the door code sent by Airbnb, so we're just going to put it in our messages as well, as we have been. just thought there would be a more automated system, which i think there is, but i am not sure. thanks everyone!

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

I don't list the door codes in my listing, as they're personalized for each guest. I use the same cell phone number strategy @Letti0 does. Usually a week before the guest is to check in, I send a message with all the check in instructions, including their door code. You can set up a "saved message" (or several) to make communicating check in instructions easier with your guests. 

Jo516
Level 2
Clinton, MD

I send the door code just before check in or the morning of their stay.  I don't feel comfortable sending it before then, especially if it is for a local.

When a guests books, I send a confirmation email stating I will send the code two days prior to their arrival. Have had no issues with that system!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

We change our codes so we send them out a day or two before. I have had guests ask for them earlier. We send them with our check in email and sometimes that email changes based on conditions at our place, we update it for each guest (fireflies are out, mosquito treatment just happened, tree fell down so avoid it, we got something new in the space for them to use, etc etc.)  We send it as close to check in as we can so its fresh info.

When we first started hosting we sent our codes a week before and the guest decided that they would roll up to our place while another guest was staying and try to get a free night. Never again will I send codes that early. If someone insists, I politely explain that this is why. 

I received a code to access the door and I got my dates messed up and I entered unwilling someone was staying there and the safety is wrong for the other people

@Denise1251  Door codes should certainly be changed between guests, but guests not bothering to pay attention to their booked dates isn't a common problem. 

Hi @Sarah977 @Denise1251 

I stayed at a air bnb on the 17th the host provided the next tenants the code and they unlocked the apartment and got into a struggle at the door with my husband. The host is now denying that there was a safety concern and that I am lying. Do you know where I could find rules on changing codes or suggestions? This will be helpful for me in my further conversations with air bnb