where do your guests put their suitcases?

Rhonda11
Level 2
Somerville, MA

where do your guests put their suitcases?

My property is a 2-1/2 bedroom 'whole house' rental.  The bedrooms are fairly small by some standards, so there really isn't a ton of room.  I am trying to keep people from putting their suitcases on top of the dressers because they are getting scratched!  I had a 'runner' or dresser scarf, it has been folded up and set aside or knocked on the floor.  I had a sweet vintage bamboo folding chair but I guess it was not obvious that it should serve as a suitcase stand.  I am considering buying a custom glass top for each dresser but 1) not cheap! and 2) what if someone smashes it with something heavy?  ideas anyone?

thanks!

9 Replies 9
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Since you have a vintage look going on, @Rhonda11, would it be appropriate to type "Please put your suitcase on the folding bamboo chair to save the dressers from scratches!" (or something similar) in nice font, print it out, frame it prettily, and set that right on the dresser?

They also make folding suitcase holders that fold up and can easily be leaned in a corner. My favorite ones even have a place on the bottom for shoes...not sure if I can post a link here for you to show you pics of what they look like I'll try but if not just do a internet search looking for folding suitcase holder. hope this helps 🙂

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=9mGAURe7&id=DA6995A438AB349131C8A9D5DB53255920...

I am a huge advocate of utilizing signs. Yes, they may be unattractive to look at but the get your point across. For instance, we had a problem with guests hanging their wet towels on our shower tension bar and it falling down, even though we had hooks on the back of the bathroom door. We then hung a sign in the bathroom saying not to hang wet towels on the shower curtain bar and the issue was fixed. 

@Rc1 - I agree about the value of signs and notes.  I have had multiple reviews mention that they appreciate knowing where things are, etc.  I hesitated for months to put a label on a bathroom cabinet that said "Hair Dryer," cause Hair Dryer was listed in the Amentities.  Until two different people said in their reviews, that it was unfortunate I didn't have a hair dryer.  HUH???  So, now the cabinet has a nice little white label.  Most people appreciate being given direction in your home, IMO.  Good Luck.

I had the same issue and bought foldable luggage racks, too.  The kind with the show shelf like Jacqueline.  It's an investment, but it worked out great!  Better than having dresser scratched or comforter torn!

I second that. I found nice ones on this site for really good prices- hope that helps! 

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/2801/folding-luggage-racks-and-hotel-luggage-racks.html

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Glass tops are a good investment and also protect your dresser from other things like cup rings and spilt lotion/makeup/whatever. They don't always have to be expensive or perfectly sized. I picked up an antique mirror for $3 at a garage sale to cover a buffet, and used a $10 IKEA mirror on a coffee table.

My place also has small bedrooms and I have a luggage stand at the foot of each bed. I like that they're easy to put away if someone wants extra space, or when I'm cleaning.

You might also consider something that makes the dresser less of an option - like a vase of flowers, or a tray with carafe of water and glasses. You can kinda nudge people into using things the way you'd like by making their other options less attractive. Signs are a last resort when those tricks don't work. 😉

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rhonda11

We have the same issue - the room is lovely but not a lot of space for cases. So, look at the furniture in the room - do you really need the dresser there (do people use it anyway or keep their stuff in their case), or would it be better to have a trunk or suitcase stand. 

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I use signs all over the space I rent and find people read them and follow the directions.  I put in a mini fridge and microwave and coffee pot and fixated for a whole day on food laying around and roaches and ants having a big festival...so I put a GIANT sign saying to eat at the table and put any food either in the fridge or bag up the trash and put it outside by the door.  The very next guests from then on always put their trash out.  People will follow your requests--they just need to be reminded how to behave.

I go to Goodwill and Lowes a lot---sometimes just to look for very cheap, cheap, cheap fixes.  I think way outside the box because I have a very limited budget.  The other day I saw a folding suitcase rack like you see in hotels at Goodwill for just a few bucks.  Even Craig's List is a great idea...post an ad for 'wanted' of whatever you are looking for and you might be surprised at what comes back.  I do that A LOT!