why airbnb are guests allowed to see hosts review before they(guests) write one?

Obinna0
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

why airbnb are guests allowed to see hosts review before they(guests) write one?

It was my understanding that reviews  are made available when both parties had completed said task of writing a Review.  In my recent experience a guest messaged me why I left a thorough review about their stay before they wrote their review. Airbnb please make this make sense, right now a guest that cancelled a reservation  wrote a review that I cannot see until I write one back. There is absolutely no honor in the airbnb host/guest review process 

24 Replies 24

@Adrienne212A guest cannot read a review written by a host before AFTER they have submitted a review themselves. The review system is blind. Otherwise the review system would be completely pointless. 
It wouldn’t be possible to leave an honest review. 

@Adrienne212 As far as I know this cannot happen at all before they post their review, and the stars do not change in a 'reply'... H

I'll confirm it.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Obinna0 , this is undoubtedly unusual behaviour. As your fellow hosts stated here, reviews are only published after the other party wrote their review as well, or after 14 days passed since check-out. I took the liberty to send the information you provided to Customer Support, and I'll send you a DM when I know more.

Thank you, @Colleen253, for tagging me on this one.

@Nick What was the outcome of your look into this claim by @Obinna0 ?

In this recent post,

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Guest-destroyed-my-brand-new-property/td-p/1446868 

the OP, a host, revealed that "When I called yesterday to file the resolution I asked and the agent read me the review."  Maybe this explains what happened with @Obinna0 's case, perhaps the guest contacted Airbnb. CS reps clearly should not be allowed to access reviews before publishing. This is a massive breach of review protocol and needs to be looked into. Please report back. Thank you.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Obinna0 this is unusual but  suspect not correct. You may not have seen the guests review but they would have seen yours as soon as they posted theirs. Its simple . they then retaliated via messaging before you saw theirs I suspect. Good Luck... H

Although I managed all of my hosting without having any replies from guests in the reviews ,after their first review,  I am told that both host and guest have both review and "right of reply". In other words the stars cannot be changed that are given 'blind' but that the reply can then be added , in other words the right of reply can be a response and a bad one to what they consider a bad or untrue or offensive review. This may appear as if it is the review as it may or may not show up .I am not sure if both reviews and replies from both sides appear for the public to see. Its certainly not something that I have seen often... H

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Obinna 0 . I am told you may simply leave a dot and can then see the review, not sporting but some do it.It depends how long the guest stays, if someone cancels and does not stay , although they can leave a review , it can be removed as it is unlikely to have anything of value about the actual stay. This does not apply to those who have stayed and left for a reason, before the end of their stay.... H

Matthew1972
Level 1
St. George, UT

Neither party is allowed to read reviews until both parties write one or the time limit is expired, in which case the other party can no longer leave a review.

Kasun6
Level 2
Weligama, Sri Lanka

I'm  a Superhost and hosting for 5 years in Airbnb in Weligama, SriLanka. To be honest I also faced the same ** experience in 2023. Guest asked me to change my review after done my review. But still I couldn't see their review. Could you please resolve this issue?

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]