yet another guest who didn't read the instructions I sent

Felicia48
Level 7
California, United States

yet another guest who didn't read the instructions I sent

Hello Alll,  I really need everyone’s help. I’ve looked everywhere on the hosting platform for a solution to my problem, with no luck.  

I have had to cancel my last 2 reservations because guests don’t care to read my house rules.  This is before they actually check-in.  My mantra on this is:  “If they don’t follow the rules now, what’s going to happen when they get inside”!

Reservation 1. Guests wanted  to leave their dog alone in the house so they can “explore “ for 2 days!  Also wanted me to dog sit or find a local sitter. Immediately cancelled, they received full refund no penalty. Although I lost money, I was happy about this cancellation because after reading her reviews,  I realized that I dodged a bullet. She was so rude and entitled telling me how she’s from La Jolla and that she has a big house on the beach blah blah blah 

Reservation 2 

This was a local guest,  I like to vet as much as possible upfront.   I felt comfortable with her responses and accepted her request.  Turns out just two days before her arrival the truth comes out.  She was really planning a full on event with 20 people including kids.  Huge no no.  

Told her she was violating major house and city ordinances and needed her to cancel.    We went back and forth because she had huge plans, people coming into town (I’m near Palm Spring’s),  staying at hotels and everyone was going to gather at my home.  they received full refund no penalty. I wasn’t happy about this one.  I did everything in my powers to keep this booking but because she was local I didn’t feel comfortable that she or someone she knew would come by my home at a later time.  So I felt it was best to just cancel.  Don’t even entertain the drama for my sanity.  Lost a lot of money that weekend didn’t get another booking. 

Reservation 3.  After dealing with guest 1 and the dog situation, we decided on a No pets policy.  We have two dogs ourselves.  This guest a week before her arrival tells us that she will be bringing her two 90lb Golden doodles, plus 6 guests.  Huh?  It clearly says no pets.  Why didn’t you mention this in your inquiry.  What do I do?  Cancel yet another booking because people don’t read?  Why should I lose out for people not understanding basic human functions such as reading and comprehension.  If she had mentioned back in September when she booked I would not have accepted her booking.   We are strict on the no pets policy.  

I feel if I make a mistake...I will take the consequences. But if they make a mistake then why am I losing out? 

I also do let them know at the time of booking that I will be sending them detailed check-in instructions a week before their stay via Airbnb messaging  

22 Replies 22
Felicia48
Level 7

@Kelly149  Exactly!!   So what do we do?  Keep taking the hit?  

@Felicia48, amazing and frustrating! Perhaps put in your first sentence or two of your description that you're sorry you cannot host parties or dogs?! 

Nick563
Level 1
Southwick, United Kingdom

Hey John, I’m new to hosting & was wondering if you would share your house rule list with me please? 

Regards,

Lauren

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

How could someone plan on staying at a stranger's house with such disregard and disrespect? I think these entitled people were knowingly planning on breaking the rules. They're probably used to breaking rules and getting away with it.

Felicia48
Level 7

@Pete69. So Roght Pete.  I ask myself this question everyday. Thank you. 

Cammy0
Level 9
Vancouver, Canada

@Felicia48 That definitely sounds very frustrating when they don't read the house rules. Something that has helped me vet my guests and to engrain the house rules is by embedding my favourite quote in my house rules that they have to c/p in to their welcome response to me upon booking confirmation. I have found that it has drastically reduced the amount of "oh, i didnt know"s from my guests. In addition, I keep a copy of the house rules saved in my "message templates" so that I can send it to them in case they didn't mention anything about the quote in their welcome response. If worse comes to worst and they don't reply to that either, I kindly remind them 3-4 days before arrival to review the house rules and respond so that I can send them their check in details (hold your check in details hostage until you get what you want :)!) 

Here are some links that I have posted that may be useful:

Helpful House Rule Template- 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/SHARING-MY-HELPFUL-HOUSE-RULE-TEMPLATE/m-p/723915#M17035...

How I Typically Communicate with Guests:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/What-do-you-message-to-encourage-guests-to-write-a-5-sta...

BEFORE accepting any reservation I send the guest the following message.  You will be surprised how many guest immediately cancel their reservation. Since sending the message below I get far less problems. 

We will be happy to host you but please confirm that you have read the house rules:

1) No smoking
2) No parties/events
3) No guest/visitors. Only people registered at time of booking are allowed on the premises.
4) No pets.

If you are still interested please let us know and confirm that you read the house rules. Look forward in hearing from you.

Thanks

@Kwixuan-And-Regina0 @Cammy0  Wow!!  both really great ideas.  Thank you so much for taking the time out to respond.  I will implement these right away.  Happy Holidays to you both.