A suggestion on how to make contacting Airbnb easier

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

A suggestion on how to make contacting Airbnb easier

Every day people are coming here to the community, frustrated because they can't find a phone number for Airbnb. Looking for it on the Airbnb site,  they find themselves rerouted  to the forums here.
Most of us "older" hosts have repeated the contact info a thousand times, only to have the question pop up again 5 minutes later. 
It does no good to tell new hosts to do a search here in the forums or to google it: people who are looking for the phone numbers are often stressed out and would appreciate a smoother process.
Airbnb is eager to constantly sign up new hosts, and the complaints about how to reach them are only mounting. It really is time for the company to step up and put some more $$$$$ into customer support instead of relying on us volunteer hosts here in the forums to do some of that work.
A good start would be:
Admins, please make the necessary updates to the excellent community guide we have AND post it right on top of everything here on the first page, so that unmistakenly, everybody can see it immediately!
https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Community-Help-EN/page/1/thr...

46 Replies 46
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree @Annette33

I have suggested this a few times to the admins to post contact details at the top of each forum and also advise guests that they can use the search function for commonly asked questions such as host cancellations, deposits, etc.

Unfortunately this hasn't happened so far, but hopefully if we keep asking ......

Barbara518
Level 1
Cave Spring, VA

As a Newbie, I have spoken with Airbnb several times, and contrary to the information below, I have waited no more than 3 minutes.  I have not used the second resource listed.  

The number is readily available online through:

"Google:

Search Results:

1-855-424-7262

The best toll-free phone number for calling Airbnb Customer Service is 1-855-424-7262 (Even with this number, the average wait time is between 7 and 12 minutes)."

There is another resource, which I have not used:   www.airbnbhell.com/contact-airbnb/

I agree the number should be provided to subscribers upfront as part of the service.

so true, @Barbara518 , savvy newbies like you know how to help themselves, and figure out where and how to get the numbers.

But if you stay here in the forums a bit, you'll see the question repeated a hundred times, most likely even right under a post where the number was published already: that is what needs to change, and the best way would be for Airbnb to make it more accessible, or at least here in the community, for the admins to post it in a highly visible spot. The best comprehensive guide, including phone numbers, is in my link posted above in my original post.

(Not  sure what you mean with "contrary to the information below" and I don't think the link to airbnbhell works here...)

Reference was to long waits.

I agree with Annette!!

i am NOT a newby, and have contacted airbnb before. But in a stressful situation i could NOT find the number with a simple google search. It was ridiculous. and ridiculous that you should even have to google search it in the first place. it should be ont he site. bottom line.

ive also have situations where it was so hard to help my guests contact airbnb with their payment issue. 

very annoying and should be fixed

@Jennifer499, another thing I suggest is this: We  hosts could/should write out our applicable Airbnb phone number and keep it where it is easily accessible, so we have it right away when a stressful situation arises.

Ooooo I love that idea. Thank you!!

thanks for phone info.  just contacted them, and as you said got thru quite promptly.

joan ***

Jilly6
Level 2
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

That's all very well if you are in the US but I am in the UK and cannot call a US number.

Hello Jilly,

Once I got this number for the UK: +44 20 3318 1111, not sure how it works, but you could try it out. I´m in Iceland myself and always have to call abroud.

Greetings, Vilborg

@Jilly6 , @Vilborg0 , if only you click on the link I provided in my original post, scroll down a bit: there are extensive contact suggestions as well as phone numbers for all sorts of countries! why are people not checking that? that is what we are talking about : that the answer is right there, yet people don't see it, and ask again and again.

The new hosts dont do the work because its really difficult to find the correct information. They mainly turn to the Community by mistake thinking they are contacting the company.

I have never seen a site worse organised than Air when it comes to getting assistance.  Try coming at the mess it is with fresh eyes. I use HomeAway, Booking.com, TripAdvisor and Sleepout; all are orders of magnitude better than Air at this crucial aspect. Air's only saving grace is that it delivers more customers than all the others combined.

Most people give up in desperation after hours of trying to find a way of contacting the company. You know where everything is because you know by experience; I find help through sheer dumb luck. References and links to "help" are all circular, and there are no specific numbers to call anywhere logical listed on the site. I have been at this since September last year and still have no idea if there is someone I can contact on the same bloody continent as me, let alone a local contact in my country.

If Air actually intended to offer any real "Help" the numbers would all be there, plain as day, when you first click on the "Help" button, they aren't. That is not helpful, its unhelpful.

The numbers would be listed right there when rhe "help" homepage opens, it would explain you have to call the USA or Tweet them or send smoke signals. There would be an email service, as per Booking.com and their closed email system, there isn't.  Its therefore deliberate in a effort to increase their profit margins by reduceing the service they provide. Everybody on the community boards over the years talks of how the Help featured is diminishing, and is now virtually non existant. They have tossed their responsibility down the plug hole and now rely almost exclusively on unpaid volenteers like yourself. In truth you can't answer legal or juridictional questions, its unfair to ask you to do so. Air has lost the balance in the relationship with their hosts.

There is no email service to ask a question; try asking a difficult question which requires a considered answer when and if you do reach them. You won't get an answer, you will be passed around from pillar to post, and after that there is no follow up from the company. Only hosts on the Community Boards follow up, and if your question is specific, related to the company processes or unusual in any way its unlikely they can help you answer it.

Booking.com come back by email unfailingly within 24 hours to any question, and if its an emergency call within an hour. Sadly, they are utterly hopeless at getting paying customers in or giving an answer in understandable English, but at least they try.

Its a crazy way to run a business. Why on earth is it deliberately made obscure and difficult to contact our Sales Agent? If the site was so well organised and easy to use why so many newbees in melt down? Why do you think they don't make an effort? I have put hundreds of hours into exploring the site itself, the Community and trying to contact the Company. I have succeded in making direct contact only once after dozens of attempts. Air could offer no help and utterly and completely failed to follow up having promised to do so.

The work you speak of is difficult and even arduous to obtain, not easy. Its often seriously incomplete or annoyingly vague when you do find something relevant. I have spent days trying to find numbers to contact from East Africa. There aren'E any, and furthermore there is no explanation that your ONLY local contact in Africa is actually in Utah, so stop bloody trying to find one in Africa. Everything is set up for 1st world hosts with superfast internet services, not standing in the bush on one leg trying to get a signal or plodding along with dialup type download speeds. You have no idea the evil thoughts I have towards programmers who give me circular links like Air. Try waiting 5 minutes to download a page that takes you back to where you started after anothe 5 minutes. You will love them too.

I spend hours trawling through Air Community Notice boards trying to find similar problems, most posts are not even close to the fundermental questions I would like answered. It is largely an enormous waste of time, effort and is very frustrating when you have a client who needs an answer there and then.

If a client asks me something only Air can answer I decline the booking immeadiately, and no longer bother trying to contact Air.. Its the only way I can proceed without getting myself in deep do do 

Its really stupid, its deliberate and will cost them the company in the end.

Jilly6
Level 2
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

I have only had one booking from air since I joined in September last year and those guest wrecked my place, have been trying to contact air about getting comp for the damage, but they will not reply even though it has been escalated by them. Booking.com is the best, I get at least five bookings a week, laterooms is useless too.

@Jilly6 , so sorry you got your place trashed. Hope it will never happen again! seems to me that too much time has passed to expect Airbnb to compensate you now for anything. Just study the rules and time frames connected to that, it's all in the help section.

As to not getting any booking requests: How about you flesh out your listing description a bit, add some pictures, be a bit more personal in your approach. That might help a lot, as there are no pics of the bathroom, the second bed, etc. You checked supplying a hot breakfast in your amenities, are you serving it? Lots of questions that would make me hesitant to book your place, and it doesn't help that you have no personal info on yourself, just a pic of a piggy as your profile pic. That's just not inviting.