Adding a Security Deposit: a Community Help Guide

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Adding a Security Deposit: a Community Help Guide

-----------------Update June 5th 2017--------------------

An updated version of this Community Guide is now available, click here to view.

-----------------------------------------------

I firmly believe that ALL hosts should have a security deposit for their listing.  There are many times where a host posts on the Community Center that a guest caused damage, broke something in their listing, or any other reason a host may need to make a claim.  In order to make a claim on damage or other issues, you need to have a security deposit in place in which the guest agrees to pay for damages at the time of booking.  If you need to make a claim on the security deposit, you need to do this within 48 hours after the guest checks out.

Setting a Security Deposit

Step 1: Click on "Host" and then "Manage Listing".  You will then want to choose "Manage Listing and Calendar" to edit your listing.

manage listing 2.png

Step 2: On the left hand menu, choose "Pricing" and then scroll down to the "Additional Pricing Options" section.  Check the "Security Deposit" box and then enter the amount for your security deposit.

security deposit.png

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

23 Replies 23
Liz165
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I have the same issue I'm new to this and I've asked for £150 which I've added to my profile but I've also requested in resolution centre is this right ??? 

Im feeling nervous that I haven't seen any rent before there visit ! 

Marcia,

Greetings from Florida -- graduated from Lewes High School many years ago.

At Airbnb you cannot require the guest to put up the security money beforehand.  You can describe it in the "house rules" and then insert an amount there too.

Can only collect within 48 hours of departure which is exactly when you discover your loss.  Then Airbnb is responsible if you make a claim.  That's an easy thing to do -- I have to do that to charge a "pet fee" when a guest brings a dog when arriving by car.

What's the big deal?  Do you realize what an advantage it is when a guest compares the up-front cost with others that require a cash deposit?

I call it a "security deposit obligation" in my "house rules" section which I set at $750 and is tantamount to a lease with Airbnb holding the money.  There's opportunity for you to make a charge upon departure via the Airbnb web site.

Protection for everybody.

Rhonda7
Level 1
Victoria, TX

I am trying to add security deposit and cleaning fee.  Though it seems there have been changes since these directions.  When I go to pricing to the left of the page it says that pricing has been changed to calendar page.  When on calendar page and select pricing (upper right) there is not a choice of additional pricing options to do either cleaning fee or security deposit.  Am I missing something?  New to Airbnb.  Thank you, Rhonda

Rhonda, did you get an answer?  I have read everything I can and still don't know how to add the security deposit to the guest's charge! Mary

@Rhonda7@Mary71 first of all, Security Deposits are never charged to the guest when a reservation is made.  It is an amount designated for a host to make a claim against for damages, theft and the like.  Hosts have to go through the Resolution Center to make a claim. 

It is not like a cleaning fee which is added to the cost of the reservation. 

To set a Security Deposit, read the appropriate article in the Community Help Guide:

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Community-Help-Guides/m-p/23100#U23100

Hope this clarifies things!

Claire, this article does not explain how the security deposit works.  I'm getting the impression that AirBnB does not put a hold on the guest's credit card, so how do you get the deposit if you do have to make a claim - is it a marathon hassle with limited chance of ever getting it? Details please!

Thank you!

Andrea 

@Andrea773 Yes, Airbnb could do a better job in explaining how the Security Deposit works....I agree with you.  Airbnb does not place an authorization hold on the guest's payment method.  Why? Because authorization holds have a limited shelf life and cannot be in force for long periods of time (likely not longer than 24 hours). Some payment methods do not have authorzation hold processing. 

That said, Airbnb does have the payment method on file so that if a damage claim is agreed to by the host and guest, Airbnb will charge it. 

I recently had an occasion to file a damage claim (first time ever!) and the guest agreed to pay since she was fully aware that her husband caused the damage.  Despite agreeing to the claim (which I filed through the Resolution Center) she failed to pay.  After waiting for at least 5 business days for the payment to reach my account, I contacted Airbnb about it and they took over.  A service rep continuously followed up with my guest until she paid up.  It took about 2 weeks for the money to get to me.  I was really surprised (and pleased) at how relentless the CS rep was in getting my reimbursement.  He sent me progress reports (!). 

When I filed the claim, I did it by the book: photos of the damage, original purchase receipt and receipt for the replacing the item.  (I save every receipt for items bought for my listing so I can deduct from my taxes.)

Airbnb does have a process for mediation in the event that a host and guest have a disagreement about whether the guest damaged something and / or the cost of the repair / replacement. In these cases, a case manager will evaluate all the available information including messages between host and guest, and host / guest prior track record on Airbnb.  Keep in mind, guests are not held liable for general wear and tear situations and likely won't honor a damage claim if the item was in disrepair to begin with.  

My sense is that so long as a damage claim is reasonable and the host files a claim promptly and according to instructions, Airbnb will do its best to collect on behalf of the host.  Is it 100% guaranteed that a host will receive compensation?  No. 

All that said, I do have my own personal short term rental insurance that covers damage in the event Airbnb cannot collect on a claim.  And, Airbnb encourages hosts to have their own insurance as well. 

I hope this helps!

The cleaning fee is clearly an option to make in the pricing section.  Use the down arrowss to expose the choices and be sure to write the amount in the "house rules" too to make it a part of the deal.  Security deposits are not collected by Airbnb beforehand but can also be taken care of by makeing a point of it in the "house rules" discussion which makes it a part of your lease with the guest via Airbnb.

Not a bad way to take care of it when the booking cash outlay is compared with someone else who asks for the money up front.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your participation here. I just wanted to let you know that there is now an updated version of this Community Guide, click here to view.

I will now close this topic for new posts. 

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.