Breaking house rules / parties

Dan_Sheila0
Level 1
Providence, RI

Breaking house rules / parties

We have been doing air bnb for 6 months now and were recently encouraged to turn on one night bookings to get more listings.  We have an upscale place and last night the guest said she was in town visting colleges with two friends.  They ended up throwing a party, solo cups, bringing in card tables, ubers showing up, people arriving.  They shut down the music at 2am and had LOTS of people spend the night which is against our policy.  My husband is en route to see how badly they left the place but I'm wondering if we have any recourse.  It says in our house policy no parties of any kind allowed but I have read that AIr BNB doesn't respect house policies.  Please let me know if you've ever had this happen and if I have any kind of recourse as it pertains to the number of guests that stayed or the party.  Thank you!

sheila

1 Reply 1
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Dan_Sheila0

Argh.....who persuaded you that 1 nighters were a good idea for such a lovely appartment? It's pretty much an invitation to groups to party and leave. I know that's not much help right now, but consider changing it immediately.

You need to prove damage or additional cleaning fees - or you need to prove more people slept at the property than were booked to do so. 'Say so' is not good enough. Take photos if the place is in a mess, and get a quote for a full clean. Any damage, likewise - but be prepared for a battle.

If you are lucky your guest will admit and pay for extra cleaning if required - if not then it's a claim on the AirBnB platform.

Once you know the 'damage' message your guest and ask for what you think is appropriate - plus if you can prove additional people slept over, then use your 'additional person per night' rate to calculate that. Some people believe you can claim the security deposit just because people had a party - not so - it's for damage/additional cleaning/etc..

Finally - withing 14 days review your guest so that other hosts are not caught out.

Good luck and hope it's not too bad a situation