Can't leave a review for a horrible guest because he cancelled the reservation *after* he stayed

Charisse0
Level 1
Portland, OR

Can't leave a review for a horrible guest because he cancelled the reservation *after* he stayed

Feeling frustrated with Airbnb's policies right now.

We had our worst guests ever stay with us last week. In order to avoid me reporting them or leaving a negative review, they cancelled the reservation, even though they had already completed it. Airbnb won't allow me to report them or leave them a review now.

Basically, they treated our room like it was a hotel. They were drunk upon arrival. Within minutes of showing up they started having really loud sex, hitting the walls, screaming, yelling profanities. I had just come home from surgery and had to leave because it was stressing me out and I couldn't sleep with all the banging. My roommate said they were at it until 3:30 am. They ordered take out and left our kitchen and the room trashed and then left at 6am. I really think the only reason they booked the room was to get high and have loud sex all night. The room is right inbetween our bedrooms and not in a place where it's appropriate to be loud all hours of the night. I asked the guests to give us extra money for clean up and for putting us in a situation where neither of us could sleep (we have posted quiet hours). They apologized and gave us the money, but then immedietely cancelled the reservation so I can't write them a review. I honestly don't think they were sorry at all. I think they just wanted a cheap place to f*&k and didn't want to pay for a hotel. I'm pretty sure the guy was cheating on his wife as well and I wouldn't put it past him to do it again. I'd like to warn other hosts about them, but apparently I can't because I can't leave him a review now. 

How can we get this policy to change? I don't think guests should be able to cancel a reservation after they've already spent the night.

10 Replies 10
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm sorry to hear of your experience and unfortunately as you are already aware, you cannot leave reviews for cancelled reservations; you can however suggest a change request directly to Airbnb.

Can I ask, did you request the additional money via the resolution centre or cash? Cash exchange is not permitted by Airbnb under any circumstances.

Also were there any red flags which you could perhaps learn from for future bookings to avoid similar situation i.e., does the guest live in the same town/ city as you?  Also do you ask your guests to tell you a bit about the purpose of their visit? If there is more than one guest, since Airbnb only verify the main guest, do you ask for some information about the second guest in order to have an idea who is coming into your home, more so since you also reside in the property.

I think this is one you will have to put down to experience, learn from it and use the lessons going forward in deciding which guests to approve or perhaps request more information. There will also always be some who slip through the net unfortunately.

He had one review, which was positive. It said he and his wife were nice guests. His message to me was that he and a friend were coming to Portland for one night to see a show and that they only needed a place to sleep. No red flags anywhere. I requested funds through the site via the deposit they left. 

I still don't think guests should be able to cancel after their reservation has ended just to avoid being reported. Who do I contact to  ask for policy changes? There was nothing for me to 'learn' here. His reviews were positive, he was verified, and his message was legitimate. All I learned was that people can manipulate a system in their favor if they want to.

Yes, it's unfortunate that people can always manipulate a system but I had no idea that a guest could cancel after their full stay. That's completely inappropriate and will need to change because that system will become the 'trick' for cheaters and notoriously bad guests. I would contact Airbnb via twitter to have them contact you. 

I just called Airbnb with concerns about this policy and she encouraged you to call them and discuss this because they shouldn't be able to do that-Yes, we know. Also, as you and I are in the same city and I too have a booking coming over this afternoon that sounds like a very similar situation, I want to not have to encounter these folks either. Would you be willing to pass on his first name or what city he is from?

Yes, his name is Michael, and he is from Elmira, OR. I just tried to click on his page and was given an error. Perhaps he took his profile down.

Hmm, this guy's name is also Michael but his profile is still up but says he is from California.

Evan1
Level 2
Odessa, NY

omg  night mare on elm st. so sorry.

the fact that they can cancell AFTER the fact is not good.

booking actual shared ROOMS must be done carefully.  duh. no INSTANT BOOKING< for that space.

best of luck with the rest.

evan e

I have never used instant book and I have always used the moderate cancellation policy. I live here and am picky about who I let stay. I've hosted over 100 people and this is the first time this has happened. I should've just asked them to leave, but I had only been home from the hospital for a few hours after having kidney surgery and just didn't feel like I could deal with a potentially volatile conflict while in extrutiating pain and while on strong pain killers.

We've had an occational guest who comes back drunk and are a little clumsy, but never intentionally loud in the middle of the night for most of the night. I really don't think they cared.

I thought maybe there were really young and just didn't 'get it', but my roomie said they were at least in their 50's.

Keep contacting Airbnb via twitter.  I had the same experience and wouldn't accept their answer.  I was eventually allowed to leave a review.  It took some effort but the system worked.

I had a similar experience of a guest canceling after they stayed and I was going to write a negative review. How do I get around this?!