Cancellation

Shani5
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Cancellation

Dear AirBnB team

From the 20-24 of April I was supposed to host Rosemary and her 2 children while they attended a swimming meet.

I had to cancel the first night because I could not move out of the house because I had a cold and my father who I stay with when I’m renting my apartment has a serious chest condition and you can’t have a cold round him. It was a necessary precaution.

I sent Rosemary a text and confirmed that she and her party could move in the next day. I reclined and disinfected it.

She told me that she had made other accommodation requirements. I got onto to the community page to ask for some help in working out what I should do here in that while I cancelled the first night, she cancelled the other three but no one could help me.

She phoned this morning and explained that it was my illness that had put her off as she has a blind son who has a low infection tolerance.

It would sound like a no brainer that I would refund her. But I have been through my email correspondence and at no time was the son’s medical status told to me. If it had been I would have declined their visit because I have a horrible, horrible set of stairs that are not good for young children, the elderly or people with disabilities. So it would have been declined and, given that the week was a national swimming meet and I had four other people who were interested in the unit, it would have gone to someone else.

I feel like a hard hearted bitch but given I was not given the fall story of her son’s conditions at the start of the process, nor when she told me why she had cancelled the other days - I’m not sure she gets the full payment back.

I am looking for guidance and I should have asked for it before and I apologise.

Regards

Shani Doig

3 Replies 3
Alexandra224
Level 6
Merida, Mexico

Hello Shani!, well, i sounds a must-cancel thing!, i would have done the same as you!, so don't feel bad.

Secondly, she also had to ask in case her son needed some "specificaly " measures  about his health!, i guess i was both party fault!, but don't worry, this kind of things happen, you would have never known that her son needed certain things!, maybe she didn't even think about it either, and just when you brought up the topic of unhealthy enviroment, she had second thoughts!.

In these kind of cases we can't never know what the guest needs, so perhaps the next time ask: Is there any questions or worries that you want to inquire?, so maybe i can know better your fits!"

My regards, Alexandra.

@Shani5, I'm afraid I don't agree with your reason for cancellation of the one night. It's a really big deal to cancel on a guest, even for one night (what were they supposed to do for that one night, especially given that you mention the tight accommodations due to the swim meet?).  Perhaps you could have found somewhere else other than your father's place. Sorry, just my opinion.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Shani5 As far as I know you cancelled the whole booklng. Part cancellation is not possible. 

David