Guest failed to mention advanced pregnancy and upcoming birth - whilst in our property

Answered!
Nicole327
Level 1
Kilmichael, Ireland

Guest failed to mention advanced pregnancy and upcoming birth - whilst in our property

Hi All,

This is my first time using this forum, but I'm rather desperate and need some advice... We are fairly experienced hosts but now face an unexpected challenge:

Yesterday, we were expecting a couple who are booked to stay with us for a month. We had no specific info from them as regarded the purpose of their stay but, based on positive reviews and normal booking-related conversation, had accepted them. On their arrival we were completely overwhelmed by the fact that the lady was 38 weeks pregnant and had chosen our property with the idea of being closer to the maternity hospital.

Not only are we not particularly close to the hospital, we are in no way prepared for any medical emergencies on that level, nor trained to aid in a potential home birth! I was gobsmacked to say the least that somebody would knowingly put us and, after all, themselves in such a situation. Of course we are always happy to help and are listed a family friendly but not in the sense that we feel comfortable taking on such a huge responsibility, without ever being asked in the first place. The guests came equipped with baby things and today even had a midwife visiting them in our listing. This indicates that, from their perspective, all is planned but without ever consulting us or asking our permission!

Now my question is how do I deal with the guests? This feels weirdly like an unrehearsed Nativity play in which I have, for obvious reasons, no interest in taking part. The guests have not given us any information or clues as to their background story (as in WHY would you want to do this?) since their arrival yesterday and seemed completely oblivious to any issue when I tried to talk to them today after the midwife's visit. 

Anybody got any ideas how to proceed? Thanks a million in advance, 

Nicole

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Apparently this discussion thread has morphed from the original issue of what a host should do when a guest is using the space without proper disclosure to guest rights.  Interesting.  @Marit-Anne0 has been very clear and @Kenneth12 has given us all an alternative perspective.  I am inspired by this discussion because it is at the heart of our shared home industry.  We are not hotels with inpersonal amenities.  We are very personal.  We may even be in the space.  Regardless, we are more  dependent on accurate specific information than the generic hotel/motel experience.  If guests cannot or do not want to participate in that process, hosts have the right to cancel.  These hosts do not have to be subjected to judgement, but should be supported as good hosts.  @Helen3@Monika64

@Marit-Anne0 seem to speak to this.  Thank you.

View Best Answer in original post

61 Replies 61
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Nicole327   Wow!  That is a real problem, right!  One thing Air BNB prompts the traveler to divulge is the purpose of the visit.  You have attempted to speak with them about your reservations.  Have you also communicated via the Air BNB message system?  If not, I suggest that you do so.  

I suggest you contact Air BNB to let them know what is happening.  Not only are you caught off guard by their plans, but you would anticipate a new born would be disruptive to sleep and household.  Ask to cancel the reservation now and relocation assistance.  In case you don't have Air BNB contact information handy, here is a link to a guide to the ways to contact Air BNB including phone numbers.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M...

Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Nicole327 Wow, I'm with @Linda108, do contact Airbnb immediatelly, this could became a serious issue for you guys. Not sure about maternity hospital stay lenght in Ireland but in the US they pretty much kick you out after 3-4 days if the baby is healthy. And this is after C-section after which I can tell you by experience (3 times over) you are not yourself and certainly not running around. Many many things can happen with the mother and the baby even after leaving the hospital so this is really not something you guys want on your hand. ESPECIALLY because it was NOT communicated.

@Monika I can see there might be some fear of the unknown going on here, but how is the mother or the newborn Nicole's responsibility? Even if "something" were to happen?? She would have zero culpability. The mother and newborn are under midwifery care and the midwife carries her own liability insurance. 

@Geri-and-Osiris0 I am really not familiar with the midwife liability insurances in Ireland, so I cannot comment on that.

I simply think the guests should have communicated the reason for their stay. This is not a simple "back in home within 24 hours" trip, they booked the place for a month.

It is up to the host to decide if they would like to welcome guests with this reason. It seems to me that they are not comfortable with the situation. I simply said if they are not, they should contact Airbnb as the guests clearly did not communicate the reason for their trip ... which should be the very first thing all Airbnb guests do.

Also, giving birth is a wonderous thing but truthfully not every hosts want a newborn baby in their house. Especially if it's not close family we are talking about but really strangers.

@Monika64 I'm fairly certain Nicole is not offering shared accommodation but an entirely seperate cottage. And a 24 hour old newborn who sleeps most of the time is much less of a nuisance than a toddler who is into everything. A newborn is part of a family and if Nicole is family friendly than she should accept a newborn with grace. If anything I would be more concerned that this family changes the booking and leaves immediately following the birth. 

@Nicole327 If the midwife conducted a homevisit its very likely this couple is planning a "homebirth" and the reason they didn't tell you is because they're terrified they won't have a place to have they're baby safely. If they had to travel to have an out-of-hospital birth it's because they live too far from a hospital to safely have an out-of-hospital birth or too far from midwifery care. 

Geri-and-Osiris0
Level 7
Edmonton, Canada

@Nicole300 Although I can see your reservations about this, your post gives me a great idea to cater to this market niche. I am both midwife and Airbnb host and I have conducted a few "homebirths" in hotel rooms over the years. We never disclosed the purpose of our stay nor were we asked to. We always left the room as it was, brought our own waterproof mattress protectors, linens and towels, and didn't make excessive noise. Mothers were in their own home within 24 hours after the birth. 

I do think you can create your own market for this, Geri.  And I also think guests who want someone else's home for giving birth should utilize people who cater to that market. 
You mentioned using hotels for births without stating that was the purpose of getting the hotel room. 

Hotels don't ask the purpose of one's stay but they are also corporate-owned chains (usually), backed by huge amounts of insurance. Private homes are not.

I believe every host has the right to know why someone is staying in their home AS WELL AS a right to know when the planned purpose will involve special equipment or multiple guests being brought in, or will involve a procedure that is normally reserved for hospitals.  Hosts should also be informed as to whether it's likely to cause a mess that is more than, or different than, the norm. Otherwise, anything goes, whether it's giving classes in glass-blowing, having a place to set up your teenager's chemistry experiment for the science fair,  or having a bachelor party.   I saw that another couple used a host's home to hold their wedding: a normal and happy part of many folks lives, but not appropriate to do in a stranger's home without permission, regardless of whether or not that stranger lives in the home. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Nicole327

I agree the guest should have told you they wanted to stay with you as a base to have their baby from.

I can see why you are uncomfortable (by the way I only accept guests who disclose the purpose of their visit).

They should haven't listed your address as their residence for healthcare or other professionals without your permission.

I agree call Airbnb to say you are uncomfortable  and see if they can help them relocate/cancel the booking.

It doesn't make sense - why they wouldn't want to stay in Cork and why for a whole month?

What did they say when you asked them where they are from and why they decided to give birth away from home?

@Helen3 

@Helen0 wrote:

I agree the guest should have told you they wanted to stay with you as a base to have their baby from.

It doesn't make sense - why they wouldn't want to stay in Cork and why for a whole month?

What did they say when you asked them where they are from and why they decided to give birth away from home?

I'm not convinced that this is any business of a host. Pregnancy is a normal physiological state. It's not a disease, an emercency situation, nor something in need of "disclosing". Just like it's none of my business if my guests have kinky sex in my beds, want to act out their fantasies, cook a smelly curry dish on my stove or what ever they decide to do that is part of being human and being alive.  They're renting my entire home and I expect they are going to continue living. As long as they leave my place as they found it or better

@Geri-and-Osiris0 Thank you for this response! The level of disdain and myths around homebirths in this thread is alarming. Giving birth is not a "medical procedure" or an emergency, and if the midwife comes equipped with all equipment and the house is left in the same condition which it was before the rental, it really isn't any of the host's business or concern. In the US 33% of hospital births are a C-section, and homebirths in comparison that needs to be transferred to a hospital for a C-section is less than 5%. So they are actually quite safer for mothers and babies to have at home than in a hospital. I wish people would better educate themselves. 

At the point that @Nicole327 found out that the hosts planned to use the home for a homebirth her outrage of their "dishonesty" was probably triggering for the mom nervous enough about giving birth and possibly being thrown out on the street. @Nicole327 clearly had no intention of letting them stay because she was uncomfortable with a decision a mom made for how to bring her child into the world. If one feels that entitled to know what is going on under "their roof" that they rent to strangers, perhaps, they shouldn't be renting to strangers! The PURPOSE that anyone stays at an Air BNB is to have shelter and peace of mind during their travels away from home--it's really that simple. 

Geri-and-Osiris0
Level 7
Edmonton, Canada

@Nicole327, I'm confused why you would think you need to be prepared for any medical emergencies on any level or help with a potential homebirth? It wouldn't be up to you to help with anything and I'm fairly certain it would a human right's violation to kick this couple out for "advanced" pregnancy. 

@Geri-and-Osiris0  Bottom line, the couple are dishonest. They did not disclose the reason for booking. They want a homebirth. The host is not comfortable with this. I am sure that Airbnb will cancel upon request of the host.

@Geri-and-Osiris0 While I understand that Canada is one of the safest places in the world for homebirth it might not be the case in Ireland. Also, I'm sure you know that emergencies do occure during homebirth (many studies of American home birth show that planned home birth with a midwife has a perinatal death rate at least triple that of a comparable hospital birth, again, this is a study done for the US, not for Canada) and even tough @Nicole327 might not be the one calling for the ambulance it should have been her choice if she wants to be involved in a situation like this in any ways.

You are very familiar with homebirth. You are comfortable with it. Let's imagine one of your guests would show up with a crate of deadly snakes at check in time. Would you be comfortable with that too? (No offense to anyone who has pet snakes!) It really depends on what you are comfortable with and the information was cleary not communicated so @Nicole327 was not given a choice about her own home.