Guests have become super high maintenance and extraordinary particular

Lisa540
Level 4
Arlington, VA

Guests have become super high maintenance and extraordinary particular

Hello,

I was a host several years ago and all my guests were friendly and nice and gave me great reviews. Then I took a two year break. Now I am hosting again and the space has been upgraded. Nicer furniture, ironed bed linens, lots of snacks, Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming. My recent guests have been much more high maintenance than the guests from two years ago, asking for toothpaste, special pillows, different chairs and so on. I have accomodated all requests. The guidebook is extensive and my response rate is 100%. And, above all, the space is large, immaculate and SO CHEAP. That said, guests this time around seem so demanding and dissatisfied and not particularly generous in their reviews. 

Anyone else having this experience? Hosting is hard work and our space is beautiful and so so so inexpensive in a super expensive location. I'm tempted to simply stop because I do not need the negativity.

I'd love to hear from anyone!

Lisa

115 Replies 115

Hi Lisa, I feel your pain.. You know what i do? I screen people and feel them out. I never discriminate, but im very picky, and i just don't accept anyone. In fact, i turn down more guest than i accept. With that said I do this for extra money, not for a "living" I dont know your financial situation but maybe raise your price, and screen better. Ask particular questions to weed out those picky people. Good luck! I hope to hear back from you. 

Hi James,

Maybe I will raise my prices. I do not do this for a living. I do it for extra money and for fun. If I raise the prices perhaps I will get guests who are even more demanding and even more protective of their reputations for being connoiseurs. Haha. But it might be worth it. I am a frequent guest and I am give a lot of 5 star reviews because I know how hard people try and how hard it is to host. I really don't know where one can find a hotel room in a major city for $75/night that is not creepy. Our place is so not creepy. 

Thanks for responding. Man, that felt good to get an answer:)

Lisa

lol well, im just a nobody! lol but i replied because i legit feel your pain. Me on the other hand, my rooms are $35 a night, plus a $5 cleaning fee. I feel very competitive at that price and wont change it. JUST SCREEN BETTER lol ask questions, but Lisa im not gonna tell you how to ruc your buisness. Im sure you're a smart, savvy woman ;0) (no condescension)

What kind of rooms are you renting for $35 a night, is it a house? I am new to airbnb

looks at my listings if you want, my place isnt a **bleep** hole if thats what youre implying lol 

OHHHHHHHHHHHH NO, Is it a room in a private home? That's what I meant, sorry

Not a nice attitude man.  She's new to this system and it's mind boggling!  She wasn't implying anything, just curious.

So... you both do not have instant booking, right? 

Absolutely, raise your price.  Your place is lovely and in a very high rent area.

I dont see why a nice abnb should be cheaper than a cheap hotel...I keep mine about half to 2/3 of the Marriot a few blocks away. People pay for the privacy and the space. 

I charge $140 base price, $215 and up on wkends

That being said, I  went to Dollar Tree and stocked the medicine cabnit with everything a traveler might need. Extra toothbrushes,small toothpaste, floss, antacids, bandaids and so on. The fridge has a sixpacl of cheap beer and a bottle of white wine. The kitche is full of non perishable items to snack on. Single serve half and half is cheap and is good for a year unfridgerated.

The joke is, almost nothing gets used so on a per stay basis, you are out at most a bottle of wine(almost never) an emory board and maybe  a 50cent toothbrush. I also leave some fruit and just eat it when they leave.

Your place is lovely and stylish...price it that way

P.S.  I am betting that at your price, you are getting a lot of Milleniums.   I run a retail store and they are a nightmare much of the time.  Add a little more freeby and price them out.  Many people stay at an Abnb because they dont want to stay in a hotel. Price is not the issue up to a certain point.

Look around your area on Abnb and see what other people offer.

gotta say ya hit the nail on the head with that post

Amy, it’s Millenials, not Milleniums. As a Millenial Super Host, I highly disagree with your comment. 

Hi Amy,

What a great answer! I think you are right - demanding millenials. I am a parent of a millenial and don't want to dis them, but wtf, there is no private spa here. Excellent advice. Just raised the price. The supplies are pretty darn good, but I will up the ante tomorrow (

adding toothbrushes and emory boards. Ha!.) Great advice.

Thank you so much.

L

wait i minute, i suggested raising the price before Amy did!! lol i guess I really am a nobody.. :0(