Guests offering a fraction of rate

Guests offering a fraction of rate

Hi AirBnBers,

As the post title says, I keep getting requests to reserve my 2 bedroom apartment for a fraction of the displayed nightly rate. 

to the point, they offer to pay a 14 Euros a night, that's less than the cost to park your car for a day in a parking garage.

My question is, is there a way to take away this option to change the price?

It's a waste of time on both sides and adds alot of unnecessary refusals.

I have checked my rates are correctly displayed and added a note to my description that rates are non negotiable and written the rate in the notes, to no avail.

Charles

21 Replies 21
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

I am assuming that they request a different rate in the message, correct?  I believe there is no way to offer a different rate in the "official" request?  If this is the case, I believe all you can do is save a message to respond with to the effect of, "unfortunately, I am unable to change my rates.  Thank you for inquiring, and best of luck!"

If they really want a room, they will do a bit of market research and either find a room at their desired rate (unlikely), or will come back with a real request.

Good luck!

In fact this is their offical request that you see detailed on the left side of the reservation request. Very strange.

@Charles159. Can you post a screen shot of this request?  

Here's screenshots of before and after dates are chosen on the calendar. Very odd how the nightly price goes from 104 to 14!

The price is the same year round.

price once dates are chosenprice before choosing dates

Here's a screenshot of an actual reservation request with the false pricing.

Very bothersome.

airbnb-request.jpg

This is a crazy glitch.  First I would go to my calendar and make sure all the prices and fees are correct.  If so, the only way to get help that I have ever found is to Tweet the problem or post it...with photos if possible...on the Abnb Facebook page.  You will be surprised how fast you will get a response from someone who knows what they are doing.

please, let us know the outcome.

Also, just write guest and explain the pricing mistake and tell her the real cost...you dont have to accept or decline...just respond...always respond.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

What is happening, @Charles159? Is the guest offering you less in a message? If that's the case, just stand firm. You are right that it is annoying and time-consuming, but don't be too hard on the poor things. They have read in travel blogs that you can negotiate with Airbnb hosts to travel on a shoestring. They think it is foolish not to try. 

If, however, guests are somehow getting a lower price from the system itself, you will want to look into that more closely. Are these just lowball offers in messages?

See my reply above. It is not in the message it is the system itself.

Hmm. Since you say it is in the system itself, @Charles159, I thought maybe you had smart pricing turned on. But you don't. When I hover over any of your available dates, they all show the same price - your 90€ (my $140 Cdn). 

And you have set no discounts. 

So something odd is happening. There are a few ways to contact administration: Contact Airbnb.

Will you write again with the happy ending?

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Charles159

There seem to be numerous articles in different media advising guests that hosts on Airbnb are often willing to give reduction when asked. 

Reduction seeking is in many cases cultural - some countries are more open to haggling. Reduction seekers though, seem to expect a huge bang for their bucks and are usually not the best guests or leave the best reviews.

Know what your listing is worth and stick to it.

Or ask them in jest if they'd be willing to bring their own towels/bedding in exchange ;D

You don't have any reviews yet, which also makes you an easier mark for some who think you might be 'desperate' for a booking.

Just stick to your guns.

As I said, street parking for a day costs more than 14 Euros (the price they offer). So how can they think a full apartment could rent for that???

That is not about haggling or asking for a discount when a guests want to pay 10% of the price that our guests are paying for same high season period when they book our flat through other websites.

My solution is preapprove them and send a message that you will be glad to have them at the posted rate. Airbnb penalizes too many declines but if you say ok to them and refuse the discount, you are cool.

They cant change your rate and Abnb data says they were the flakes, not you.

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong.

You're not wrong, @Amy38, if they were asking for discounts in their messages, which is the way I was reading it at first as well. @Charles159 says in his replies that they are not. He says the offers are coming through the system - the "you will earn € XX" that shows up with a booking request. Very strange. I think he should contact Airbnb, if that is the case. He does not have smart pricing turned on, and he has set no discounts. I'm interested to see how this turns out, and hope he writes with the answer.