Hosting Tip: How to Make Stays more Enjoyable in less than $50?

Answered!

Hosting Tip: How to Make Stays more Enjoyable in less than $50?

Hello Hosts,

My home is located on a hill station where it rains continuously for 4 months. During this time, guests can barely get out and although I have two lovely terraces to sit and watch the rain while sipping hot Chai, it could get quite boring to sit in the house the entire while.

I'm sure other guests face similar situations if it snows a lot in their place or is too sunny to go out in the afternoon.

I decided to do something that would help my guests enjoy indoors. And guess what, the solution doesn't even cost 50 bucks!

I bought some all-time-favourite indoor games and added some from my childhood collection.

So now I have a deck of UNO cards, Playing cards, classic [18 in 1] board games likes Ludo, Chess, Snakes & Ladders, Jenga, Monopoly, Houise set, Taboo and Never Have I Ever Cards. (Since I purchased from local stores, it costed much lesser.)

You can add some low-cost indoor games too so that guests never have a dull moment.

6f2670aa-0af1-4a9f-a9b9-4674e567ac2b.tif.w480.jpg

You can also add some interesting magazines, popular novels for the readers.

book_stack.jpg

And maybe a blank drawing book and some crayons if someone wants to get creative.

I hope you find this Hosting Tip useful and feel free so share if you have any interesting suggestions as well.

Don't forget to hit the Thumbs Up button if you liked that idea and would like to receive more tips 🙂

Happy Hosting,

Jeet

crayons.jpg

5 Best Answers
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Jeet0, what a good idea. 🙂 I always have plenty of books around, and l already have Scrabble and Rummikub, both of which I love to play. (In fact, I'd love any excuse to lure a guest to play one of the games with me. 😉 ) And as one of my hobbies is art, I always have plenty of paper and drawing/painting materials.  

I also have a guitar and a nice Yamaha keyboard. Perhaps I'll host a musican on a wet day in the future. 😉

I think I'll invest in a couple of card games. (I do have a Tarot set, for those who are so inclined.)

Anyway, you've given me the idea to perhaps mention indoor activity possibilities. I live in the Netherlands, and it often rains here, even in summer. Though my accommodation is geared towards travellers/visitors who intend to be out all day, I need to be prepared for changes in the weather.

View Best Answer in original post

Ginger3
Level 3
Shepherdstown, WV

All good ideas.  I even purchased some vintage games to match the mid century modern decor of my cabin.  Guests love it.  You know everything is so much better on vacay, right?  

I also subscribe to many good magazines.  Double rewards?  I get to enjoy my favorite reads, and guests also have a good read.  

Jigsaw puzzles are also great for romantic getaways and family vacations.  I have had guests reluctant to leave until they finish a puzzle!

The key is to communicate well with guests beforehand and take cues from them.  Anniversaries or birthdays always have champagne waiting at my places.  Seasonal fresh fruit or holiday chocolates are always popular.  I also share if I have baked something that week.

All these personal touches add to good reviews and lead to more bookings.

Happy hosting,

Ginger

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Stephanie18 and @Jeet0, so pleased you like the idea of a musical instrument. 🙂 (I might need to think twice, though, if a guest wanting to use my guitar or keyboard happens to be a hard-rock or heavy-metal musician. 😉 Though at least the keyboard can be muted. 😉 )

@Jeet0, for an off-premises host, a nice touch might be to send a pretty card after the first couple of days to say that you hope everything is going well.

If there's a nice little cafe - or other facility - nearby that permits it, perhaps ask if they'd give you a couple of 'coupons' for a gratis cup of tea or coffee. It could even be of interest to the cafe as a way to gain customers. 

Of if there's a good little art gallery or crafts place, maybe they'd provide coupons for a gratis cup of tea or coffee in a local cafe.

A fun touch might be to tuck the coupons away somewhere that a guest might not be likely to find them immediately, and then mention in the card that there's a little surprise awaiting them in the xxx (wherever you've placed the coupons). 

Anyway, just a thought... 😉

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jeet0@ginger Donna and all

great ideas thanks as I am near a few London football clubs there are always a free ticket to be had (I'm a member) so I have at no cost given two seperate guests a free football experience they loved , they got to go to the match free and feel the atmosphere as well as taking tons of photos and made a major part of their stay this could be applied to any local sporting event anywhere in the world and follows on your free coffee idea.

Our local thrift shops provides me with great games and books I have created a travel book section in guests room as most are moving on and truly love the books on other countries they may visit as they only cost me 50 p I am happy if they want to keep them.

@Sara2, Jeet, Ginger & Donna,

I leave discount coupons for local shops, coffee, creamery, cidery, science museum, etc. I also do the travel books, they're a big hit.

I purchased local postcards from a store downtown that sold them to me for her cost and just put her store stamp in the corner. Guests love to find the cards, pre stamped and ready to send.

I also provide a homemade dessert upon arrival for the first nights stay. I've narrowed it down to three recipes that are cost efficient, easy to prepare... this is a big hit with all guests. 

28 Replies 28
Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Jeet0   Great post Jeet.  Some of my fav memories hosting are when we play UNO or MONOPOLY with our Airbnb guests....at the beach or outside in our courtyard....you better practice my friend as we will be playing once you arrive too.  (loser has to wash dishes) haha

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Hello Momi,

Thank you. I love playing UNO and bluff. Challenge accepted. If I lose, I'll mention in the review, "Host forced me to wash dishes ;)" LOL

Good day,
Jeet
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Jeet0, what a good idea. 🙂 I always have plenty of books around, and l already have Scrabble and Rummikub, both of which I love to play. (In fact, I'd love any excuse to lure a guest to play one of the games with me. 😉 ) And as one of my hobbies is art, I always have plenty of paper and drawing/painting materials.  

I also have a guitar and a nice Yamaha keyboard. Perhaps I'll host a musican on a wet day in the future. 😉

I think I'll invest in a couple of card games. (I do have a Tarot set, for those who are so inclined.)

Anyway, you've given me the idea to perhaps mention indoor activity possibilities. I live in the Netherlands, and it often rains here, even in summer. Though my accommodation is geared towards travellers/visitors who intend to be out all day, I need to be prepared for changes in the weather.

Hi Donna,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm already searching for an affordable resale guitar online. Although I don't know how to play but my guests mostly include groups, I'm sure they'd enjoy playing some live music around the portable barbecue.

CC has helped me upgrade my place a lot. This is one such example. So thanks again 🙂

PS: Using Mobile phone so couldn't tag.

Cheers,
Jeet

I purchased books & games from the local thrift shops before listing but I love the idea of having an old guitar or even a Uke. We have an outdoor patio area that is used by guests for evenings by the fire, bbq's and taking in the starry nights. I think the musical instrument is a great idea for our listing, especially since my husband is a recording and sound engineer! (Can't believe we didn't think of this ourselves)

Rie0
Level 2
New York, NY

@Jeet0, we too have a collection of games and cards for inclement weather.  Adding to your helpful tip,  we set up an easel with large post-it pad for drawing fun.  

Hi @Rie0 - An easel for with post-it pad sounds amazing. Talking about post-it, you might find this tip interesting as well 🙂

Hey @Julia47 - Welcome to the Community Center. I have never stiched myself, but my sure there are people who'd love to. I feel it is a very specific interest area, so as long as the machine is not taking up too much space, you can add it 🙂

Since you are new, you might want to search for terms, in the search box above, like "Marketing tips", "Marketing Mondays", "Free smoke and CO detector", "Free professional photographer", "Community Help Guide", etc. You'll come across some very helpful articles I gaurantee 🙂

Julia47
Level 2
Alsodux, Spain

Thank you for some great tips.I am a new host so all tips are appreciated.Although I did put some books in my apartment, I realise now that maybe guests would like some drawing material.I also have a sewing machine and boxes of odments of fabrics that I no longer need do you think this would be a good idea to put in the apartment?

Ginger3
Level 3
Shepherdstown, WV

All good ideas.  I even purchased some vintage games to match the mid century modern decor of my cabin.  Guests love it.  You know everything is so much better on vacay, right?  

I also subscribe to many good magazines.  Double rewards?  I get to enjoy my favorite reads, and guests also have a good read.  

Jigsaw puzzles are also great for romantic getaways and family vacations.  I have had guests reluctant to leave until they finish a puzzle!

The key is to communicate well with guests beforehand and take cues from them.  Anniversaries or birthdays always have champagne waiting at my places.  Seasonal fresh fruit or holiday chocolates are always popular.  I also share if I have baked something that week.

All these personal touches add to good reviews and lead to more bookings.

Happy hosting,

Ginger

Ginger, rightly said, personal touch is very important to give your guests the most beautiful experience.

Since I don't stay in the same city as my listing, there's not much I can do but whenever possible, I make sure that guests receive fresh strawberries and chocolates when they arrive.

Hosts, any suggestions on how to add personal touches when you aren't around?
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Stephanie18 and @Jeet0, so pleased you like the idea of a musical instrument. 🙂 (I might need to think twice, though, if a guest wanting to use my guitar or keyboard happens to be a hard-rock or heavy-metal musician. 😉 Though at least the keyboard can be muted. 😉 )

@Jeet0, for an off-premises host, a nice touch might be to send a pretty card after the first couple of days to say that you hope everything is going well.

If there's a nice little cafe - or other facility - nearby that permits it, perhaps ask if they'd give you a couple of 'coupons' for a gratis cup of tea or coffee. It could even be of interest to the cafe as a way to gain customers. 

Of if there's a good little art gallery or crafts place, maybe they'd provide coupons for a gratis cup of tea or coffee in a local cafe.

A fun touch might be to tuck the coupons away somewhere that a guest might not be likely to find them immediately, and then mention in the card that there's a little surprise awaiting them in the xxx (wherever you've placed the coupons). 

Anyway, just a thought... 😉

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jeet0@ginger Donna and all

great ideas thanks as I am near a few London football clubs there are always a free ticket to be had (I'm a member) so I have at no cost given two seperate guests a free football experience they loved , they got to go to the match free and feel the atmosphere as well as taking tons of photos and made a major part of their stay this could be applied to any local sporting event anywhere in the world and follows on your free coffee idea.

Our local thrift shops provides me with great games and books I have created a travel book section in guests room as most are moving on and truly love the books on other countries they may visit as they only cost me 50 p I am happy if they want to keep them.

@Sara2, Jeet, Ginger & Donna,

I leave discount coupons for local shops, coffee, creamery, cidery, science museum, etc. I also do the travel books, they're a big hit.

I purchased local postcards from a store downtown that sold them to me for her cost and just put her store stamp in the corner. Guests love to find the cards, pre stamped and ready to send.

I also provide a homemade dessert upon arrival for the first nights stay. I've narrowed it down to three recipes that are cost efficient, easy to prepare... this is a big hit with all guests. 

@Donna15@Stephanie18@Sara2 - Thanks for sharing your suggestions. They are so helpful! Cannot thank enough.

I got in touch with an amuzement park near my place as well as popular restaurant. I heard back from the Park and they've agreed to give me 10% disocunt vouchers for my guests. I'm sure my guests are going to love a discounted go-carting experience.

Been trying to approach some other popular joints, just to see if I have any luck.

Also, as per Donna's suggestion, managed to get this used guitar at a steal on olx.com. Awaiting delivery 😄

TNY5000BK_large.jpeg