Hosting when you own a dog

Hosting when you own a dog

Hi, looking for any tips from people who are hosting a room within their flat, so private room with some shared facilities like kitchen and abthroom, and who own a puppy or dog. Thanks!

4 Replies 4
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Beth99

A dog will have an impact on your bookings, particularly when the hosting is taking place in the dogs personal space.

Through the eyes of your dog your apartment/flat belongs to your dog it does not belong to your guests, so you cannot expect your dog to abide by a different set of rules when guests are present.

You must make the fact that you own a dog very conspicuious in your listing....show a photo of your dog so prospective guests can make a decision as whether they would feel comfortable staying there.

I don't mean what I am going to say here to be unkind! Every dog is a wonderful companion to it's owner but in most instances a stranger does not see your pet the way you do!

There is a 'goldilocks' zone where dogs are concerned, and this is particularly true of guests who do not own a dog of their own.

Small breeds are not popular to be around where most non dog owners are concerned. They are perceived to inseccantly jump at strangers, yap at any movement, or be seen to be not so much a dog as a 'bladder' with four legs!

Large dogs....Doberman, German Shepherd are not looked on as guest friendly, nor are bull terriers, bull mastifs. There is an ever present fear of these breeds even though they may be absolute **bleep** cats.

Dogs with jowls are not seen to be comfortable in a living space...Boxers and giant breeds St Bernards, Berneise Mountain Dogs. These breeds do 'slobber' ....and they don't care where they do it, which is a real turn-off for a non dog owner.

I know...I can hear you all say it, but, this is the perception of the general public.....travellers, guests!

That Goldilocks zone are breeds like Border Collie, Aussie Shepherd, Akita, Malamute/Husky. These breeds are seen to be non aggresive, clean, quiet.....and most of all gentle.

Our situation is a bit different from yours Beth in that we host in a cottage in the rear garden and our dog is strictly forbiden from entering the guest facility, and although we do not allow pets, every guest who has stayed here has formed a wonderful bond with that dog. In just about every review the dog gets a mention in the most positive way.....so having a dog can be good for your hosting. But this dog does not look like it is going to eat you, pi*s on you, or slobber all over you....she just looks like she loves friends, and that is the way it turns out.

DSCN1531.jpg

Beth you are going to find it hard having guests in your flat with you and your dog! The dog may not accept the guests or the guests may not accept the dog! Maybe you can promote your listing to dog lovers by making a feature of the dog, its endearing habits, the way it gets along with strangers.

But most of all you must absolutely fully disclose, front and centre, that a dog is involved or I think you will have a considerable number of problems.

Cheers.....Rob

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Beth99  I agree with @Robin4 regarding both having dogs in a shared space and the need to be VERY clear that there is a dog in the shared space.  Often dog owners are a bit unrealistic about their own dog because "love is blind".  I have a shared space and my dog is a greyhound.  The breed is gentle and calm but more importantly, I have trained her to be non-intrusive with guests.  I do not allow any guest to self-check in because it is my responsibility to ensure the contact is regulated by me.  

Perhaps it would be good to ask friends and acquaintences about your dog and how comfortable they are around your pet.  I have friends that allow pet behavior that I do not allow - jumping onto furniture, begging around the dinner table, jumping on people (especially little dogs).  I would not recommend these friends have an Air BNB shared space.

The first place I stayed at as a traveler was a place that had parrots who freely wandered the house and the yard.  This information was clearly stated in the listing.  However, I was a little surprised by one of the parrots climbing up my pants and onto my shoulder.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have a Pup and he is quite big and features more often in reviews that I do, but I do have the space to keep him away from Guests if needed.

Obvious clarity in your listing, include a photo and have a plan as to what you do if the dog/guest interation does not work.

David
Aurelio53
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

Just need to also make a point about large breed dogs. As a guest, we are in the animals lair and as a guest I do not want to have to meet your animal in the areas I have to access. I love animals and that’s gravy but if I and my child need to get biteys approval to enter the home that’s gonna be a no from me dog!