How do you remove stains?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you remove stains?

Removing Stains

Hello everyone,

Earlier in the week @Sandra126 posted a great topic sharing some tips on how to clean grouting. This got me thinking that there are some fantastic ways to get rid of those pesky stains that seem to appear around the house on a regular basis. 

Lemons for example are a handy thing to have and a personal favourite of mine. The citrus helps as a natural degreaser, which can help to clean ovens and microwaves. Which I think is great as it prevents having to scrub quite so much. 

Another common suggestion is to use white wine to remove red wine stains. I have tried this on my carpet and for me it did appear to help, how about you have you tried this? Would you count this as a magical solution or a myth? 🙂

What are your suggestions for keeping stains at bay? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

39 Replies 39
Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

Oxyclean will remove any organic stain...it is magic for red wine. Spray on and watch the stain        disappear. 

Oxialic acid and sunshine for mystery stains on linens

Bowls of ammonia (leave room) for odors.

Biogroom no rinse dog shampoo for dog exudate...in carpet sop up said exudate, pour on shampoo,

Newspaper on top with weights, wait...no ring, no smell.

White vinegar...remove calcium buildup on anything...shower heads, kettles, flowerpots. Sanitizes

too.  Sloww drain...baking soda followed by boiling vinegar.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. i found it very useful as i`ll just start hosting.

Do you recommend Oxyclean on colored fabric too?

Wouldn`t it leave whites spots, where the stain used to be?

Thanks

The Oxy powder, if undisolved can "bleach" areas on some colored itemsn not if well disolved before adding clothes, but the spray is watered down enough that spot treating has not has not bleached anything for  me.

Oxyclean is essentially peroxide...I use it in laundry, on tile, stains in old porcelin sinks, wine and coffee stains...it really has changed my modus operandi in many ways.

Thanks Amy.

Really do appreciate it

Dee33
Level 10
Reston, VA

Hairspray for removing ink. Blot repeatedly with clean towel until all dye is transferred; then wash the article as usual.

@Dee33 There are only a few solvents in the world..water,.alcohol, turpentine, benzene, tuolene....my bet is that hairspray has alcohol in it.

other stain removers work through oxidation.

Hairspray is always handy, and smells way better than turpentine. I just used it again the other day to remove black Sharpie stains from carpet. They got there courtesy of an 18-month old 🙂

I agree with you on the "oxalic acid and sunshine" for mystery stains. I use Bartender's Friend which has oxalic acid in it. This good for removing rust stains too.

@Dee33 Sorry, I was not trying to say that one uses turpentine on ink stains.

I meant that for every type of spill, there is a solvent and there arent that many solvents around.

Ink is alcohol based so the alcohol in hairspray is probably what is dissolving and removing it. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

White wine works but in part for red wine stains, salt also helps, but important seems to be to treat what's left right after with laundry detergent while still wet to remove the rest.

Shall try out the lemon tip soon. More of a non-guest hosting tip, but for example they're also great in completely removing any lingering fish odor after cooking fish. You can simply save the rind of any lemons used for the dish itself and wipe out the pan after washing and the sink etc. after cleaning. Then rinse and it all smells fresh. ( 

Blood stains can be removed with oxygenated peroxide. You pour some and blott it with cityombot paper towel. It vanished in front of your eyes. FFor sheets, after this exercise,  I use directly some detergent for hand wash dishes and manually wash it and then place the sheet to wash in the washing machine. 

I forgot to say. Thank you for the advise. 

http://www.oxiclean.com/en/Stain-Solutions

Oxyclean is peroxide which is why it works on so many different things.  Honestly, I dont own stock...I just find it changes the game for most cleaning needs.

And it only takes about half a scoop per washer load or even less...their scoop used to be about 2Tbs.  The spray is endlessly useful...havent tried the whitener yet.

Gary-And-Rose0
Level 7
Chemainus, Canada

Someone left a drink glass ring on my wood coffee table, varnished. 

Used paper towel over stain and a hot steam iron. The steam cleared the stain completely. 

I have ring stains on granite counter top, any secrets to that?

🙂