Innapropriate guest behaviour

Innapropriate guest behaviour

I have two rooms available separately and a guest in one of the rooms that isn't acting inappropriately.

After arriving they have left common area's (kitchen,dining room and lounge) uncleaned after use for 3 days, so my other guests couldn't use these ares. Then after those guests left they informed me of the mess. I employed a professional cleaining company to clean the apartment and i explained the rules to the guests.

They have complied since.

Now they have used the Master bedroom, which is not the room they booked and with the knowledge that other guests were arriving, and left it in such a state that the new guests have contacted me. I have had to give these guests a full refund.

What can I do about my problem guests?

9 Replies 9
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Marty19

Hi Marty, your information is rather sparse....Is this guest still with you, and if so how long is their booking for?

Secondly, is there a language problem here where the guest may not actually understand what is required of them?

If this is a booking that is in progress and the guest understands what the requirement of the listing is, get onto ABB and ask them to relocate the guest on the basis that the guest is not obeying your house rules and has cost you another reservation.

Some guests are going to be difficult for one reason or another, but that is no reason why you should miss out simply because someone will not abide by your rules.

Get onto Airbnb's Sydney number on 02 8520 3333 and get them to remove this guest for you. They are pretty good at problem solving for their hosts Marty.

Cheers.....Rob

I had a guest who stayed at our house and didn't abide by house rules- kept two cats in the house while they were there then lied about it in spite of evidence to the contrary. They also left with some of our towels, broke dishes, and didn't communicate with us when the AC went out. The house was left unlocked with all the windows open. I left a review on the main page and received a threatening text message from them, cussing at us and saying that "we have more to lose than they do"- how does one resolve an agressive client issue?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Betty68

Flag their profile!

They seem to have broken not only your house rules but Airbnb's rules as well.

On their profile page there is a box which says 'Report this User' and a little flag next to it. This will bring the profile to Airbnb's attention, a drop down box with three options will appear, click on the one that says inapropriate behaviour, or similar and when you are contacted have documentation of your grevances and if ABB side with you they will close the guests account.

You have done nothing wrong Betty, you have warned others about these guests, don't be intimidated by them, take the upper hand.....it's for the good of everyone!

Cheers.....Rob

@Betty68Contace the Police and Airbnb. Threats are taken seriously.

Abolutely flag them! And, I think regardless of how you actually decide to proceed in handling any problems with guests (notify Airbnb or (if necessary) get police involved) it is very important that you document the bad behavior and get proof (by taking pictures or video clips of the state of your listing). Also, send messages to the guest to their Airbnb account formally letting them know that they violated such and such house rule and they need to take responsiblity. Don't be afraid to make it clear in your review of the guests that they did not respect your house rules. It's the only way hosts can rely on other host reviews of guests when we determine whether or not to host potential guests. Good luck~!

@Jessica-and-Henry0@Marty19@Robin4@Betty68

You see? This is why I think Airbnb should revise their current guest review system. Maybe allowing hosts for a potential guest to message previous hosts to check reference?

@Huaai0 Great Idea! Kind of like how people need to provide references for jobs or rentals! 

I think Airbnb should introduce a superguest status, where guests are kept aware of a reward, loyality program and hosts using the report this guest button. This might deter such like behaviour and increase hosting due to the reward program

Ivo30
Level 1
Sofia, Bulgaria

I have a very similar case in my listing in Bulgaria. The guest has more than two weeks stay left and so far he tried to set the house on fire, left everything an absolute mess, and clogged the toilet. What should I do?