Just wondering

Jing17
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Just wondering

So, I had two guests who came yesterday, they were polite and all that in the beginning. Then later in the night they just left and they didn't come back. I wasn't sure whether not they are gone so I knocked on their door. they were gone, so I went into the room, saw that they had sex in the room, there was blood on the sheets and condom on the duvet. I don't know what to leave them as a comment and how to prevent this kind of things from happening. Any ideas?

17 Replies 17
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jing17, oh so unfortunate for you Jing, but once again, it reinforces the belief that you never, never let to locals. Unfortunately those who want to party of have something clandestine on their minds do not go far from home to do it.

Probably you just happened to be cheaper than the local hotel....and I bet they chose the cheaper room the $34 one hey!

As far as the review is concerned you are best off just shaming them. Something along the lines of..

"I can't really leave a realistic review of this guest I didn't see enough of them. They turn up but obviously had some sort of accident that impacted on their stay because they only spent a few hours in their room and left. It would have been nice if they had advised me of their accident on departure so I could have taken the required action to clean up after them while the damage would have been fresh and easy to remove. Never mind all is ok now, they appeared pleasant, but if they wished to stay again, I would have to respectfully decline their request" 

If you say something like that you will appear as the wronged party and they will know immediately what you mean, as will the rest of the world. And yet you have not stated anything that would give Airbnb grounds to remove the review. In all probability they will not review you but, if by chance they do just repeat the review above as your public response to their review. That way it will appear on your page directly below their review, so you will be not only be warning those who see their page, the warning will stay on your page as well.

See how you go....cheers.....Rob

Jing17
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Thank you Robin, you really helped me in this awkward situation!!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jing17

it will be very hard to avoid such guests and accidents in the future, but you can set your min. stay 2 nights instead of 1 and decline locals and same day reservations.

Thank you I think that might really help!

Annette47
Level 3
Buckley, WA

I have had a few nightmare experiences with locals.  They are definitely up to no good. They acted strange from the beginning, called me at 2am because they got their car impounded in town, stole several items from my RV, ripped the outside light fixtures off my RV left things filthy.  It appeared he hired her for the weekend to "party" I have had a problem with locals booking and then other people unexpectedly appear.  I'm very strict with that now.  They damaged my hot tub when they got drunk and it's cost me $200 to buy a new part.  I'm definitely learning as I go! 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Please no shaming!

Your guests did nothing wrong. They paid you money and they had sex in your room.

No laws were broken, no damage was done and I hope you have no expectation of celibacy from your guests.

But you do pose an interesting dilemma of Airbnb's revolution. Are all traditions of the Hotel industry destroyed?

As an inn-keeper, discretion is my most-important agreement with my guest. As long as no crime is commited, "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" 

That said, The Airbnb model encourages public exposure of guests. I try to limit this exposure to breaking important rules like overstaying checkout and neglect. 

I agree with the others that if you want to prevent this in the future, do not rent to locals.

Good luck

I think shaming is appropriate here. Bloodied sheets and a condom left on the bed? Come on - this was beyond typical guest sex in the bedroom. There's a difference between disgusting and trashy, and expecting celibacy. 

Typical Guest Sex?  

Wow.

Are we to revert to 1950 morals where only a married couple can rent a room for sex? and then only typical missionary?

I hope not.

The discrete appropriate thing in this case is to ask the guest for damages to the sheets and a PRIVATE admonishment of grossly putting the condom on the bed. (Was there an obvious garbage can handy?)

@Paul

I’m sorry Paul to disagree with you on this, some men get kicked out of bed for blowing wind, leaving blood stains on the sheets and a condom on the bed is not acceptable in my opinion.

I don't think the Host was concerned about their sexual mores, they were concerned about the condition their room was left in. A used condom left on the bed is not acceptable, could he not have put it in his pocket and taken it home.

Regards

Cormac

ECK III

ECK VIII

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paul154

Paul I don't regard myself as 'puritanical' and it's not that they had sex, hell everyone has sex....or at least did at some stage in their lives! There is a certain decorum that is required of us as human beings. I fully expect that people will do this in my cottage, I don't have a problem with that.

I regard this as being no different to a guest coming into the cottage for a meeting of some description, leaving food all over the lounge, drinks spilt on the floor, toilet unflushed, perhaps a bit of vomit in the sink!!

It's not that nothing was damaged Paul, it's that this was an unacceptable way to treat a listing.

There is a line that is crossed where behaviour is concerned, and leaving a used condom on a blood stained bed is not acceptable behaviour....It's got nothing to do with people having sex, it's the way they go about it that's the problem here!

Cheers......Rob 

Better a condom soiling the bed than a big pile of Poo blocking the Loo.

Our first guests were two little old ladies (cousins) on a road trip.  They were lovely and clean.

Our second guests were  a couple from a city about 2 hours away.  They said they were taking a mini vacay in our beautiful coastal area.

They didn't see much of the beauty since they arrived on Friday night and left on Sunday morning and did not emerge the entire time.

We have a camper with a very functional toilet but they did not understand how to flush it and they did not ask.  (We now have a video tutorial on the listing, a poster in the bathroom and I take the guests into the bathroom and demonstrate exactly the steps to take to ensure that we see no poo.)

They used the toilet several times during their stay and piled toilet paper on top of solids each time.

It required a garden hose and a pointed stick to clear the blockage.

I left them a politely worded review that said they apparently didn't understand how to use the facilities but that no permanent harm was done.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Jing had asked for advice about commenting on disrespectful guest behaviour. I suggested discretion.

I suggested discretion because that is the traditional standard for inn-keepers. Innkeepers that blab don't get business.

But i seem to be in the minority.

Maybe I am wrong.

Maybe Airbnb is correctly destroying this standard. When guests choose Airbnb they are agreeing to give up privacy.

They are choosing to have their picture and name displayed. They are agreeing to written reviews that anyone can easily get access to. This includes future employers.

I guess we really are a "club". A club that can shame you for intimate happenings while staying with hosts.

Although it goes against all my beliefs, maybe I should reconsider my view of discretion. Maybe Airbnb will be stronger if we write "Guest left used condom on bed" "Guest dribbled on toilet seat" "Guest left tire tracks on bed" 

"Guest doesn't have a college degree, so we couldn't chat about anything"

This is information I would like to have as a host, but I can't help thinking it is wrong.

I guess I am torn. Do others have any thoughts about our discretional duties to our guests?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paul154

A bit late replying but, as they say, better late than never!

Paul nobody is questioning your beliefs or your wonderful sense of ethics, the world would be a much finer place with more like you....I bloody mean that! I have seen enough of your posts to regard you as one decent host, and person.

I think your sense of discretion here is honourable, but discretion is not what we are talking about here. A guest has the right to do whatever they want in a listing......provided they respect the listing!

It's got nothing to do with morals but it has everything to do with how you treat anothers property.

A hotel charges a predetermined amount that covers whatever a guest is likely to do whilst on their property. A host charges an amount based on the fact that a guest will respect their property....they are two entirely different scenarios and you cannot link the two. A guest lists with ABB with the full knowledge that their photo and details will become part of the public domain....it's not something that creeps up behind the guests back.

Paul, you are not wrong, and don't think that for a minute. Your beliefs are to be envied, not ridiculed!

We don't ask for celebate behaviour, we just ask for courtesy and respect.....and Paul, they are two pretty fine traits to have too!

Cheers.....Rob

Kumar18
Level 2
Greystanes, Australia

Being Airbnb host for nearly 2 years now I have seen it all. Few hook up for day time fun, seen used/unused condoms and condom wraps in room.  one guy booked a room for possibly his mistress for few nights. He would spend the day with her and will disappear at nights and will come back in the morning. Possibly his wife was thinking he going to work lol. But hey we cant do much about it when consensual adults want to have fun and Airbnb is like running a hotel.  So far all lovely guests and it doesn't bother me as long as they keep things legal and have fun.