Poll - Do you charge a cleaning fee?

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Poll - Do you charge a cleaning fee?

Polls.png

Hi all,

We are starting a new type of topic here in the Community Center - polls! It will be a really interesting way to compare your methods of hosting and how you use Airbnb with other hosts. As well as seeing the statistics, you will also be able to discuss your answers and share ideas and experience about each topic here in the thread.

In order to participate in this poll, simply choose 'yes' or 'no' in the box below in answer to the question 'Do you charge a cleaning fee?' and then click 'submit'. Then write a comment below in the thread telling us more about your choice and your experience of the two options - e.g. I charge a cleaning fee to cover the cost of my hired cleaner etc. The answers will be able to help new hosts and more experienced hosts as well!

You can see the current results of the poll here!

Please give any suggestions about topics of polls that you would like to see in the future! We welcome your ideas 🙂

Happy polling!

Kirstie

142 Replies 142
Traci253
Level 2
Garfield, AR

I do not charge a cleaning fee.  Hotels don’t so why should I, it has already cost them a lot of money to getaway. I clean my home myself.  I ask that they load and run the dishwasher, turn the lights off,  take the trash out and if they want too but not a requirement they can start a load of laundry that every little bit helps.  I think by not having them do all the chores (like I have seen a lot of host requirements) is a lot for someone who wanted to getaway but then when they leave be their own maid is not a good practice. I think by them not having to do a bunch of chores and pay a cleaning fee gets me more bookings (like every weekend) then the word of mouth will get more guests and repeat guests.  I try to keep my prices reasonable so people can just get away and not breaking their budget.  

When we opened our second house we had to hire a cleaner because I could not get there everyday. We charged $25 cleaning fee which was only a portion of our actual cost. We found that guests overall did not like the extra fee, left the house messier and we struggled with bookings. We removed the fee, upped the price a little and started getting more bookings. Many guests will leave the house cleaner if they know that it is the host who will be cleaning and not a paid cleaner.

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It's interesting that you've tried both and found it better to not charge a cleaning fee @Tim-and-Holly0! I can see how there may be a subconscious effect of a cleaning fee on the guests, making them think they can leave the listing in any old state... Thanks for sharing!

I added a $20 cleaning fee after agreeing to let Airbnb set my prices  thus lowering my fees. 

No increase in messes. My stays are mostly 2 days on weekends. I'll give it a year and see if I'm better off to rent the place.

It is a way to discount longer stays.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

No cleaning fee here. It is a treehouse with a house rule of no-trace camping. In theory, ALL the guests clean up after themselves. In practice, MANY of the guests clean up after themselves. Yes, there are still mud smears, canine paw and nose prints, spills, even from the tidiest guests, but a cleaning fee, I feel, would give more of them license to act as my messiest guests do.  

The usual things - changing out the bedding, washing the floor, windows, porch - are not things for which I think they should pay extra. It is part of the room rate.

At the same time, when travelling as a guest, I am happier when the host does not charge a cleaning fee. I feel as if cleaning should be part of the deal there too. If you are wondering, yes, I am a no-trace guest. I expect it here; I practice it elsewhere. 

All people everywhere should clean up after themselves. I could make that a motto. 

Thanks for that. Really helpful. I agree totally.

Kim-and-Jen0
Level 10
Oslo, Norway

Hi 😄

Many people suggests me to charge cleaning fee, but I didnt want it. I dont want to treat my home like hotel with cleaning fee or other fees. Other reasons: I love to do laundry 😄

Kieran5
Level 3
Dublin, Ireland

I regard the cleaning fee as a way to discount longer stays.

A one-night stay costs, say, €50 + €20 cleaning fee = €70 per night.

So a two-night stay would cost €50 + €50 + €20 = €120 = €60 per night. 

Half the work, so fairer to everyone.

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's an interesting way to look at it @Kieran5! It makes sense that it is cheaper overall for 2 nights rather than 1 in terms of cleaning. 

@Lawrene0@Tim-and-Holly0 and @Kim-and-Jen0 as you don't charge a cleaning fee, do you make any reduction in price when guests stay longer than 1 night?

Kirstie

No, I don't discount for longer stays, @Kirstie. Stays are never going to be very long, in my case - anyone wanting backcountry camping for longer than a few days will go to a provincial or state park. 

My nightly rate is what I need to run the place, it is working, no one is surprised by an extra charge, and no one is encouraged to rough it for longer than they want with a discount. 

As a guest, as I said, I tend to avoid places with cleaning fees, and I don't expect discounts. Absolutely fine with the nightly rate being the nightly rate. 

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Lawrene0 It does sound logical to charge as much as you need to host guests in the listing price rather than adding a cleaning charge on top and I guess a discount for longer stays doesn't really make sense in your listing!

I think that is the really big thing here, @Kirstie. We are all so very different. Our places are different; our travelling styles are different. 

The urban host of a gleaming loft who hires a cleaner is never going to, nor ever should, agree with the backpacker host of a rustic treehouse about cleaning fees. It is an apples-and-oranges poll, really. 

What I love is that the option exists. We can charge a fee. We don't have to. It's perfect.

@Kirstie

No I didnt give reduction price when the guest stay longer. To me, If a guest staying at my place it would be for an experience that they pay for, it could be things we share/tips/some exclusive things (such as tickets to opera/shows/backstage). Things that they cant get when they stay in a hotel.

So I dont see the point why I have to put cleaning fees/reduce the price when they stay longer. 🙂