Private Feedback

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Private Feedback

Nothing steams my kettle more than guests who review listings as if they are reviewing a hotel on Yelp or TripAdvisor. The reviews are a zero sum game and pointless to put in any amount of effort- on the hosts and guests end. What does a guest hope to get out of leaving a lengthy review- good or bad? Just keep it short and simple. If it was good- wonderful! If it wasn't then remain gracious that at least you only paid a fraction of a hotel room costs, leave private feedback that is to the point and move on. We can't respond to your review and tell you the reality of the situation without it coming back to bite us.

To the point of my conversation: why do guests feel the need tell you in private feedback they wish you had certain items? Have they not realized some things aren't offered for a reason? One guest felt the need to tell me my place would be better if I had a Keurig coffee maker and black out curtains. Thats all good and well, but I never stated I offered those amenities. Thats like buying a Nissan and telling the dealer this car would be great if it had reclining seats in the back. If you want reclining seats buy the Maybach- at 10x the price!

Guests need to understand what we offer on the screen is exactly what you're getting when you arrive. Nothing more and nothing less.  Stop trying to make reality awful and marking us down in the review stage, because the listing doesn't match your expectations of what you think we should offer or what the hotel chain down the street offers.

PS. the reason I don't offer a coffee maker is because its a money losing expense and takes up space and I don't offer black out shades because people would never leave the room or at check out time.

57 Replies 57
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

I actually think the fact that you include a Kitchen as an amenity, and then state that the Washer, Dryer, Oven and Stove are not included would lead no one to believe that there would be no way to make coffee. I would suggest that you state just as strongly that there is no coffee machine for guests to use. I am puzzled why having a machine available to guests would be a cost to you.

Yes, I still get guests who ask to use every last one of those items. Unfortunately, you cant win for losing. If I offered them Airbnb wouldn't cover the cost to replace them if broken and guests complain too much about smell in the listing from cooking.

Last I checked coffee makers, coffee, creamers, filters and what have you arent being given away at the local corner store for free. Cleaning them after a guest checks out isn't one of my favorite ways to spend my time either.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Its self perpetuating, the more you offer the more they want, been going on in the B&B trade for years and was started by tourist board inspectors telling you, you need to offer this, this and this to get x number of stars.

Guests looking for accommodation, see a reasonable 3star graded one, with 5star reviews and think its good value because of its price.

Guests looking for accommodation, see a 5 star grading and 5 star reviews and think that it has to be the crem de la creme no matter what its price is.

According to ABB we all have to be 5 star guest rated accommodation providers, but no one's been officially graded, Then we have "SUPERHOST" thats like saying, dear guest, I'll kiss your feet and be your personal servant. The guest has no idea what to base the review on. It will kick everyone in the bum in years to come.

I often wonder what does a guest base their review off of: What was offered? What they wanted? Their ability to follow step by step directions and then by not reading them their arrival is screwed up? or compare us to their previous airbnb they just left froml? I've had a few guests rate me based on their previous AirBnB experience which is odd because each host is different.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

they figure out what is missing after one night and you didn't after years in bussines, yes we also hosted few such geniuses 🙂 most of them were americans , pour people, their holliday is ruined without a water cooker hehe 🙂

we have a stove but oven is out of order and it seems nobody cares , instant coffee rulez, our coffee maker was used by maybe 5 guests in the whole year so you are right @Zacharias0

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

I offer a simply one cup machine and put a jar filled with compostable k-cups next to it. I leave a small pitcher of milk in the guest's mini-fridge. I also have a selection of teas and an electric kettle. Many guests use neither of these, some use a few coffee k-cups, once in awhile, the whole jar will be used. I do not find this a particular expense however. They really don't cost that much. There is really no mess, either, as there are no grounds or or coffee spillage to contend with. 

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Heaven forbid someone offer you friendly tips on how you could use improve your business!! I understand what you're saying, but personally, I always appreciate the insight on what people are looking for, even if I don't end up taking the advice. Some things, like a coffee maker, people appreciate having access to, even if they don't use it. Others times it's worth having for the few who do want it, even if most don't. Case in point, I don't have cable TV. When I first started hosting, my listing made it VERY clear that I don't have cable. Most guests were fine with that, but I was still receiving the occasional guest who didn't read the listing, then complained because they "expect to have cable when they're paying for a suite". Rather than get consistently bad reviews for something most guests don't want, I compromised. $80 for an Apple TV, and $7 per month for a Netflix account, and I no longer get complaints. Plus the expenses are tax deductible. 75% of the time the tv remote isn't touched, but it's there for those who want it. I'd say it's the same for a coffee maker. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars. You can find good used ones at the thrift store for cheap. You could provide cheap coffee (which would also be tax deductible), or just offer the coffee maker and let them buy their own coffee if they want it. 

Steve

Steve I wished you had a Jacuzzi or steam room at your property. It would have made my stay so much better. 4 out of 5 stars. 

I would respond :  if you wanted a sauna, why did you not book a place that offered one? As I clearly don't offer a sauna anywhere on my listing, why would you say something like this? 

And if possible, I would review him honestly as having expectations beyond his price range.

So sorry for your unreasonable guest!

I simply say 'you are right And I'm very clear in my description.  It's all there';  then I just say....so and so's expectations far exceed what I clearly offer.

Similarly I am sick of unappreciative guests. I do a lot of extras that are not advertised in my listing because I can't promise them. I get zero feedback or thankfulness for it. For example it's in my best interest to check on the unit when I have someone in there for a long time. I make it clear to them when they arrive that if the do not disturb sign is not on the door and they are not home I may come in and tidy up and refresh supplies. I have been going in actually doing a a lot of vacuuming and cleaning up and restocking.  Lately I have even made the beds because one person was staining linens and I wanted to **bleep** that in the bud and not let stains set. Well when I do something I don't do it halfway. I made the beds and I placed chocolates on their pillows. I brought in a new fresh fruit. Not even a mention in the private feedback! No thankfulness whatsoever. Not even any surprise. I also had a guest that arrived very late and was worried about his budget for a taxi (typically $22 or so).  So I went to the airport very late at night and waited for over an hour and picked him up and brought him to the unit. Again he did not even mention it in his review. Very rude! If somebody did something over and above for me I would definitely be mentioning it!  I have a bridal party in the unit now. I made them a welcome plate of fresh strawberries and cookies and chilled some prosecco and sparkling lemonade tied up in ribbon and bows. Let's see if that gets a mention. 

I am sorry but I find that comment unreasonable. You MUST offer (if you want to rent) what guests want. I have 2 apartments, one is a tiny studio, but I spared a space for a Nespresso machine. i don't drink coffee, but most people do. And I wouldn't be able to sleep in a room that is not dark at night... and at sunrise. I never had a problem with the check-out time.

It is just my personal opinion, and I don't offer a spa, the price is not of that either, but I want my guests to think I care for their wellbeing.

In Las Vegas there are hundreds of hotels that offer pools, saunas, massages.  This person wanted champagne an a kool-aide budget.  I hope I never get that kind of review.  Of course I ask as the time goes on if everything is ok or if I can do anything for them.

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

I wrote in my listing please look at the pictures and read the information.   What you see is what you get.   And it still doesn't matter. So WTF some guests are plug and play.   Some need a @Branka-and-Silvia0@Jeff158reboot.@@Kate157@@Zacharias0