Slow down in reservations?

Terri4
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Slow down in reservations?

Hi, all.

After more than a year of fairly good activity, the reservations have slowed to a crawl.

Do you have any suggestions? 

Is anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?

Thanks!

25 Replies 25
Megan70
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hi All,

Where I am in Seattle, WA, the number of hosts has exploded. Good for guests; bad for hosts. I think that all of the 'sharing' platforms have seen the same. Then everyone reduces their prices and soon it's a race to the bottom. Don't know that there's a solution to this one!

cheers,

Megan

Jérôme20
Level 1
Cannes, France

Hi, same here in Phuket Thailand, my house is listed for about a year and it was fine for the bookings until about a month ago that i dont even have any inquieries. 

So i tried to put the price down 200 dollars/night (low season price in Thailand) to see if i get any bookings... but still nothing.

Sarah160
Level 5
Adelaide, Australia

If you don't have instant book they drop you down in the search ratings. A pretty disgusting action. I can't figure out why they are so insistant on getting everyone on board.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Do you think the non-stop rain and gloom of this unseasonably rainy Spring has dampened people's desire to come to your remote area?

Nothing personal. But in these situations, you must entice guests with deep discounts to create demand.

I did a quick search and noticed you are 30% more expensive than your nearby competitors. While this is OK during the high season, it may account for why no one is clicking on your house.

Have you tried Smart Pricing?  Smart Pricing allows you to price your house in relation to your competition.

Good luck, you have a very nice home.

Carol283
Level 1
Marblehead, MA

We have seen a huge decrease in European and Asian visitors since Trump became president. Usually 50 percent of our summer guests are Chinese or European. So far this season.... one couple from the U.K.!

Spencer28
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

I've noticed the identical phenomenon.  Frankly, it's maddening.  The only thing I can perhaps attribute it to is the fact that more and more people are doing this.  I never thought I'd say this, but there needs to be a system (NATIONWIDE here in the U.S.) where it's regulated.  There needs to be a U.S. law that states these platforms can not have homeowners operate without permits.  Just issue the **bleep** permits and have the city inspect the properties.  There are simply too many people who are doing this now who are jumping on the bandwagon.  The early adopters who actually know the system and have achieved superhost status are suffering due to this saturation.  I've been doing this for several years and I've never experienced a slowdown quite like this one.  It's come to a screeching halt.  I have properties in several different markets and this is happening across the board.  I'm fed up.

@Spencer28

Well you would have to first change the US Constitution, not a Federal issue.

David

If these platforms (AirBnB, VRBO, et al) are operating in all 50 states (which, of course, they are) then it is absolutely a federal issue and can, indeed, be legislated as such.

Jeanette87
Level 1
Dana Point, CA

Hi there, yes I noticed last year it had slowed a little and for sure right now really slow even though I have lowered my prices. Not sure why this is happening as there should not be any newbys in Dana Point, as they are not issuing any more permits, would love to hear from other hosts who may had sugestions, Thanks Jeanette

Katie458
Level 1
Londonderry, NH

AIRBNB also does not even come up in a google search for “Book Vacation Rentals.” I have no idea what is going on with AIRBNB.  

Sherelle1
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

The same here in Philadelphia. I’ve had three bookings so far this year. Other than a rate reduction, I’ve no clue.