Tips for saving space?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Tips for saving space?

Save Space

Hello everyone,

From chairs that double-up as bookshelves to stacking tables, and beds that hang from the ceiling to kitchen draws that double-up as dinning tables, you name it the number of inventive ways to save space in a home is incredible. I find this all very interesting and think it really shows design at its best, plus if you are like me, you are always on the look out for a little more space to store things.

A friend of mine does this by attaching her bike to the wall when it isn't in use, which allows her to pass easily by and gives a little more floor space (it also prevents it from occasionally heading down the stairs, which is never good). I have also recently started rolling my towels up when they are stored. I believe this helps to reduce the space they take up and it also helps to keep the creases out of them, so win win! 🙂

Do you have any specific furniture or tips that have helped you to have a little more space in your home? Or perhaps you are like me and like to admire good space saving design! 🙂

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

9 Replies 9
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Divan beds that lift up from the end or side....tons of storage....

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw yes, I saw one of those the other day @Gerry-And-Rashid0, it is a great little hid away for clothes and sheets. Do you have one of these? 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

I grew up with a bed made with 6 regular sized drawers in the base.  I had never seen such a style anywhere else until recent years.  Now they are everywhere!  It provides the storage of a full size dresser using no extra space at all!

In fact, I still have this bed - my daughter used it.  She had it up against a wall, making three of the drawers unusable on a regular basis. No matter!  I also always have a need for long term storage as well.  So now three drawers are in regular use, and three are only opened occasionally.

We bought a very similar bed at ikea a few years ago.

Another space saver - hanging pots and pans on walls and from the ceiling.  If it is good enough for Julia Child's kitchen, it is good enough for mine!  🙂

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I have the same from Ikea i bought it not long ago as i used to store all my bed linen aorund 15 duvet cover and sheet in wardrobe and some guests start stealing them since then decide to hide any bed linen and many towels under the bed as it is little tricky to up lift so discourage anyone for going there 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That sounds very useful then @Marie82, I would never think of lifting the bed up. 🙂 I wonder if you can get sofas that work in the same way? hehe - that would also be a great way to save some extra room!

--------------------

@Lizzie actually I have a couch that opens up to two beds with a spring that makes them the same height.

the top opens up and I have a complete change of sheets and stuff if the guest needs to change them.we are putting less bedding and towels in the closet as some guests really use them all.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This sounds great @Hilary-And-Ed0. Yeah, I think long term storage is helpful too, for those thing you can't bring yourself to throw away or extra bedding which you only need on occasions. 

I like the idea of hanging pots and pans from the ceiling. I once saw this above an island in the middle of a kitchen, but as it was quite a large area it also have hanging plants as well. It was quite a focal point too! 🙂 

Things I have trouble with are books and DVDs. I find I can't stop myself buying books and my bookselves are full...what I could do with is a library room! hehe Do you have similar trouble with these kinds of things?

--------------------

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

This will apply only to the tiny-house, rustic-camping hosts, @Lizzie, but my space-saver is a durable square plastic lidless container that doubles as a sink or basin, but that holds rolled clean rags (for the wiping of muddy paws, etc.), camp soap, and a cutting board. It fits in a small space under the sleeping platform, where it acts as a bookend for the house manual-guidebook binder, a now-aged copy of Airbnb's (one and only issue of?) Pineapple magazine, and a few board games. The whole thing takes up little more than a square foot. I did find that labelling it and listing the contents in marker helps guests know what's up with it.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's a really handy idea @Lawrene0. I like that you labeled it as well.

I am sure there are a few great tips for doubling up furniture as bookends. I suppose you could use some nice plants or lighting if it works as well, so it can brighten up the space as well?

I once saw a suspended book cabinet towards the top of a bedroom wall, rather than having it on the ground of the room, this made the room look far more spacious and you have the extra floor space, which is helpful. I imagine you would also have to use a litte step ladder to get any books you want to read though! hehe

--------------------