What experience would you offer?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What experience would you offer?

Experience

Hello everyone,

I am sure many of you are aware of Airbnb 'Experiences' by now and possibly even tried one out yourself. Speaking with several of you here in the CC, I have loved hearing about the types of experiences you would like to host when it becomes available in your area. 

With this in mind, and just to be clear this isn't linked to the formal process in hosting an experience in any way, I thought it would be great for us to share what experience/activity we would love to host. 

Perhaps you have a keen interest in cooking and want to share your local receipes or you are into your local history and see yourself as a great tour guide...go wild! 🙂

Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

71 Replies 71
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Hi Lizzie, 

I'd like to share cooking techniques, not recipes, as I never cook the same thing twice. Best would be from shopping to table, but unfortunately, most of my guests (not necessarily airbnb guests) just chat on whilst they watch me cook and say afterwards: "That's delicious, you have to give me the recipe!" Yeah well, if you don't remember what you saw, I don't remember what I did either. 

Maybe I should offer an experience: Film your recipe ?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Haha! That sounds fun @Helga0. Are you one of those cooks who can take any ingredients and make something amazing from it? What type of food do you like to cook?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

well, I could offer my guest with a wife and 2 small kids use of my (man- cave) and a tasting of my famous bourbon collection.

Haha @Bruce43, I might book that experience ! I always wondered what men do in a men cave, drink alcohol, build a ship or tell salacious stories to each other? A mystery solved, that's an experience. Although your Bourbon collection would not diminish visibly with my stay 😉

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hehe! This made me laugh so much @Bruce43. It does sounds rather appealing, I would love to see the video advert for your experience! 🙂 I think the mention of bourbons is a must, I can't resist them! hehe 

--------------------

@Lizzie, I had formal training (hotel school), grew up in a big household with always 10 or 12 people at table, family, guests, tenants and so I thought I knew to cook. Then I married an artist, who had worked as a chef in different countries, in one of his many bread professions. I found out that there is another dimension to cooking and learned a bit of that. 

My principals are: always enough: I hate stylish mini portions and there might always people drop in unanounced. Good to know how to strtch a dish without the quality suffering. 

Take what is there, fresh, seasonal. 

Adapt to people's taste or diet - I have a lot of young guests on meat- or milkfree diets andhave to invent ways to work around. 

Otherwise, I want an explosion of taste and texture in my mouth. Which is quite different from traditional Austrian food, but I fell in love with Mediterranean cuisine and spices from all over the world. 

Last principe : not expensive 😉

I am from Argentina and I could make empanadas with them! But many times my guests are busy! So I though about giving them the option before they come!

Hi,

My name is Sandy, Chef/patronne of "Pallagino" Guest House, winner of 7 awards on tripadvisor, located in Grand Baie, Mauritius.

Author, writer, culinary presenter, cooking instructor, since 2007, I propose cooking classes at my guesthouse to guests who wish to enjoy/discover local gastronomy, a real explosion of senses and colors in a friendly and convivial atmosphere, in an ultimate and endless culinary adventure.
I do classes in French and English.
After enjoying the meal ( 7 dishes) just cooked, guest get a certificate and my book "A Feast of Mauritius" ( English) or "Un Chef a la Maison" in french.

Cooking is an art, and food the canvas, join me in the kitcken and learn the little secrets of our cuisine, as I will show you how to cook these fantastic homemade authentic Mauritian/Creole dishes. find me on tripadvisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g488103-Activities-Grand_Baie.html

My cook book "A Feast of Mauritius" 

[Link hidden]

Question? How to offer this as host on airbnb?
my guesthouse is already listed on airbnb

Best regards

Sandy

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Sandy126,

Oo this sounds very delicious. What kind of food would you say is typical to Mauritius?

[I am sorry I had to remove your link, personal advertising goes against the guidelines here, I hope this is fine with you]

--------------------

@Lizzie:
Tucson, Arizona is known for several things, but the Sonoran desert is beautiful year round. There are dozens of hiking trails ranging from easy to very difficult and people come from all over the world to walk among the tall s the cactus and other plant life. My "experience" I already offer to my guests is a 3-4 hour moderate hike to view a "secret" Native American Indian cave with ancient petroglyphs. Usually we see wildlife including mule deer, ground squirrels, jack rabbits and a variety of birds. Our last group even got to watch an owl. It's a great little hike and I have a lot of fun introducing visitors to our desert as well as the local Native American heritage. (http://houseforrentwebsite.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=13). The picture below is of some guests at the entrance to the "secret" cave.

small.jpg

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Tim-and-Holly0,

This sounds amazing, you must feel so lucky to be so close to such an wonderful part of the world. Is there a particularly good time of year to run your walking tour?

--------------------

@Lizzie:

Hiking in Tucson, AZ is best any month except for our summer months of June, July and August as the temperature typically runs over 100 degrees (38 C) most of the days during these months. Last year our high temp was 120 (49 C) degrees. If a person is careful and packs plenty of water an early morning hike is possible even during the summer, though. An excursion lasting an hour or two can still provide plenty of oppurtunity to enjoy our desert beauty.

Hope11
Level 3
Salem, MA

I would like to teach soap making and yarn spinning classes.

I grow botanicals in my garden and collect wild beach roses as well. would love to share my knowlege of soaping and all things fiber

I am passionate about our Mornington Peninsula in Melbourne Australia and both my husband and l love showing people, things to do, see and experience here. We have beautiful bay beaches, spectacular ocean beaches. We have mountains, forests, farms and over 100 Vinyard's. All within a 2 to 30 minute

drive! Oh and did l mention we have the Best HOT SPRINGS in the world!!!!!  Voted the best 3 yesrs in a row!! I think we would be great tour guides!! 

Also l am an Artist and love shsring my knowledge and pashion for art as well!!!

How do l get started????