stained bed spread

Annemarie0
Level 1
Fairfax, VA

stained bed spread

our guest left and we found a large blood stain on the bed spread and pillow cases that will not come out!  Should I ask for him to pay for it? 

17 Replies 17
Dina1
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Yes , you should ask to pay !! Contact Airbnb .

Nothing is more yuck that ruined bedding after a guest departs. For future reference, a bottle of peroxide dumped in the wash in cold water will remove blood. Sorry for your experience.

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

What you need to do is submit a claim on the guest's security deposit, and do this promptly, you have 48 hrs to submit a claim after guest leaves.  Go to 

www.airbnb.com/resolutions

and fill out the form there.  You will need to take photos as evidence and submit them.  

Miki16
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

How often do all of you clean/change bed spreads/comforters? I will start changing or steam cleaning them after every guest. Initially I didn't think this was expected because everyone knows that hotels never do this, so why would people assume Airbnb's will clean them after every guest?? FYI, in case you are not aware, the majority of hotels change/clean bedspreads 4 times a year unless there is OBVIOUS dirt. That is disgusting, I know.

Miki,

That is a great question - "How often do people wash their comforters?"

Like hotels, it is something most hosts will not trumpet.

If any hosts here say "Yes, I wash the comforters after every guests" I would take their statement with a grain of salt.

In America, we use a 2 sheet system, One fitted underneath and a flat that goes over us shielding us from the comforter.

This system allows us to save resources (Fight Global Warming!) by requiring us to wash the comforter only when necessary.

Miki, you already have answered your question. You know how often Hotels wash their comforters.

Hotels Are the standard

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

Paul,  I wash the quilts, comforters or bedspreads between each and every guest.  Those are my standards. I live by them.

Same including the duvet that goes inside the duvet covers. EVERY SINGLE CLOTH that exists and a complete anti bacterial wipedown........!

I wonder about hosts not washing the covers, next time I book an airbnb, i'm travelling with my own covers, i always travel with my own white towels because its so putred when a host give you a black towel.......so scaryyyyyyy

I do the same

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

EVERYONE knows this?  EVERYONE knows this to be a fact? 

Cheap, Lazy, Inconsiderate hosts don't clean the bedspreads, quilts, or comforters between each and every guest.  Everyone knows this to be a fact!

Hmm.. Not me. I wash the bedsheets and the blanket after every guest, but the comforter is scheduled for a wash every two months. That's about four or five guests, so far in my experience. I should point out that I wash my own personal comforter about once a year.

I do check the condition of my comforter after each guest to make sure there aren't any easily (or difficult) removable marks in the comforter. As far as I can tell, only about half of my guests even use the comforter.

By standard American etiquette, there should be two layers between the person in the bed and the comforter. I think it's well understood that a comforter is not something that's washed between guests.

I even debated whether or not to wash the blanket that's on top of the top sheet, but in the end, I figured I might as well throw it in the wash.

Jamie

I do the same but wash the comforters once a month or more often if it gets dirty or stained. (I also have different comforters of warmer and colder weather. I also don't wash wool blankets between each guest but there is a cotton thermal blanket next to the top sheet that does get washe. Like motels, I assume guests know that comforters may not be freshly washed for every guest. I have enough washing with sheet sets and towels. I also put clean towels on overstuffed chairs and a sheet or blanket over the futon couch when it is just being used as a couch. That way I can wash them weekly and I explain to guests why they are there. I am not a germ-phobe but I would rather sit on a clean towel than a chair that goodness knows what has been on it!

If i ever go to FL, definetely booking your place knowing its a complete washdown

@Ian and Janice 

We always wash our comforters and bedspreads to ensure sanitary bedding. In these Covid times we have noticed that most guests are not getting under the covers. They either use our throw as a blanket or I guess bring sleeping bags. We always make sure there is a cuddly couch throw - J 

Nancy524
Level 2
Palm Springs, CA

Really? Im shock to read the comforters get washed once or twice a month. OMG.

guest are trusting us sleeping in our homes thinking everything was washed in detail including comforters. 

i washed  everything after every guest I mean everything. Guest deserve nothing less.

comforters, sheets, pillow cases, bed blanket, every single item is washed.

what if the person sleeping  on your airbnb bed has a skin problem, suffering from a rash, or some type of infection, or  was sock with a cold all those germs are on the bedding

........ what then? You are telling me as a guest and host to sleep on that bed knowing sheets were probably not changed and comforter not washed. 

Please wash your sheets and comforters no matter what. Guest are expecting a 100% clean Everything. They are paying for a super clean bed. I think if i ever travel and use airbnb I will take my special light to see if stains are on the bed.