Costs of cleaning

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

Costs of cleaning

Am I the only one who thinks cleaning people are just flat out taking advantage of host. I dont know what people are paying across the country but I am paying $100 to clean a 2 bedroom house and $150 to clean a 3 bedroom house. And now she wants more because she found out that other people are charging more. I had to raise my minimum days to 3 because of what I have to pay to clean the house.  Even with the 3 day stay I am barely making more than her by the time fees and taxes are taken. And what gets me is since its a BnB its getting cleaned every 3-4 days and 99 out a 100 guest leave the house pretty clean so it takes less than 2 hours to clean. Thats $50 an hour shes making to clean house. I dont mean to take anything away from house cleaners but C'mon $50 an hour. It doesnt take any special skills, anybody can clean a house and almost everybody has cleaned a house at some time in their life, its not hard work or takes a lot of brain power yet I am paying them more than my doctor, they make more than cops and firefighters who risk their lives every day and they make a lot more than our servicemen and women who fight for our freedom.  And now she wants more,  unbelievable.  How many people makes $50 an hour, I know I sure dont  And whats worse is all the cleaning companies are this way, I actually was told by one company that they charge $80 an to do laundry, $80 an hour to throw a load of laundry in a washer, (takes 60 seconds)come back in a half hour and throw them in a dryer(takes 30 seconds) then come back in an hour and fold them (takes maybe 10 minutes) and apparently there are host who pay that. There comes a point where you have to say enough and I have reached that point. So not only am I going to refuse paying her more I am going to stop using her altogether. And will let her know her greed cost her a $50 an hour job. I wont be using a cleaning company no more,  there has to be all kinds of people who would jump at the chance to do an easy job for 25 an hour. 

17 Replies 17
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Sam397 i suggest that you do it yourself for a few weeks and check out exactly what your cleaner does . If I paid a cleaner I would not run an Airbnb profitably . i have learnt a lot more about cleaning that Iever knew or wanted to know and about making beds and cleaning . Its not normal household cleaning. It is high speed super cleaning . You pay for speed and thoroughness . It takes my son and I two hours to turn over a three bed house and that is without garden or other maintenance or communicating with guests or managing greeting and meeting and follow up. Its work and needs to be respected and involves skills as does hosting. H

@Helen744 I did do it myself for over two years and know exactly what a cleaner has to do. 

@Sam397 Did you sign on for the covid cleaning program that Airbnb  instituted , because that is super full on and most people still follow it . H