How do I Set up Apple TV/Roku Stick/ Fire Stick for guests?

Answered!
Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

How do I Set up Apple TV/Roku Stick/ Fire Stick for guests?

We have all of the above devices and are considering making one of them available to guests.  The question is how do hosts set these items up without giving guests access to their personal items (e.g. photos, music, networked devices) and/or potential charges (movie, music, TV show, or app purchases)?

Do hosts set up these items with their own accounts and hope guests don't misuse them OR

are guests required to enter their own information?  If guests enter their own information, how often do they forget to clear it out prior to departure?  Are hosts liable if a future guest misuses the setup?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

1 Best Answer
Mario-and-Cata0
Level 4
Medellín, Colombia

Hi @Gregory87

I have an Apple TV and a Google Chromecast device for our guests. The chromecast is easier since it's only meant to stream the content crom the device to the TV.

As for the Apple TV, guests use it for streaming purposes as well. By default, it is configured that any purchase has to be confirmed (by typing in the password again). 

I've never had any issue with those devices 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Mario-and-Cata0
Level 4
Medellín, Colombia

Hi @Gregory87

I have an Apple TV and a Google Chromecast device for our guests. The chromecast is easier since it's only meant to stream the content crom the device to the TV.

As for the Apple TV, guests use it for streaming purposes as well. By default, it is configured that any purchase has to be confirmed (by typing in the password again). 

I've never had any issue with those devices 🙂

Thanks! I forgot that we have ChromeCast too. We'll try out your suggestions and see which we prefer.
Janice-And-Kurt0
Level 2
St. Charles, IL

I just bought an amazon firestick for our Airbnb and wondering the same question.  Help anyone?

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

My understanding is that you can setup a Roku in Guest Mode. I have just purchased a SMART TV with Roku built in and will let you know as soon as I receive this item and hang it up (and after my guests leave in a week)!

Lynda129
Level 3
Palm Beach, FL

I have the same question...

Tetiana12
Level 2
Stryi, Ukraine

Fire sticks are a wi-if to tv connection device. How much you pay depends on what services you subscribe to.

I have Amazon prime ($129/yr) that enables me to use the fire stick to access prime videos & music and other apps. I think I can use my one prime account on multiple fire sticks.

Using apps available on the fire stick, for my personal use I have sling tv, Netflix & Pluto (free streaming tv)

Netflix for approx $18 a month gives you access to 4 separate Netflix viewing accounts plus kids only context account.

Also there are many free apps out there https://www.firesticktricks.com/amazon-fire-stick-apps.html

Earl151
Level 2
Pocono Summit, PA

Maybe some one here can help me. I installed an Amazon fire stick in the bedroom for the guests. I thought that by adding parental controls it would prevent anyone from ordering movies on my account. But apparently every time you turn on the tv and try to watch anything, even free sites like IMBD, it requires your pass code. If you put in your passcode you can turn off parental controls so what is the point. I figure I must be doing something wrong

I am in the same boat.  Did you ever get a solution?

Christian Tierno
Shea64
Level 2
Hico, TX

@Earl151 Did you get this figured out? Mine is doing the same thing 

roku sheet.jpgWe ended up going with Roku which has the Guest Mode.  Works very well!

Guests can install any "channel" and use their own login information to access the stream(s).  When they check-out, all of the personal information is cleared and the system resets for the next visitor.

Visit the link below for more information:

https://support.roku.com/article/360015611254

I just bought 2 Roku TVs as well, kinda not thinking it through. What I relief to know about this guest mode, will set them up. 

Thanks!

Jeff761
Level 3
Bristol, PA

Some Roku devices have GUEST MODE.  That is perhaps what you seek. 

Just make sure that you enable a code so guests can't willy nilly add channels, and add all the channels that you think they will need (movies, youtube and music sites). 

Chris15191
Level 2
Pittsburgh, PA

We bought a fire tv because we have others at our house and it seems there is no solution for having guests not get into our account but to go to the Roku.  Can anyone save me a few bucks?

Christian Tierno