Problem with guests and August Smart Lock

Luke52
Level 1
Washington, DC

Problem with guests and August Smart Lock

I have been using the August Smart lock for a few months now, and on paper, it's been great. 

However, more often than not, guests show up at my door without having downloaded the app, much less created an account. August sends an email to all of my guests, but the majority tell me they've never seen it.

As a result, I'm left to guide them through the process of app installation and set up after letting them in. Not a HUGE problem. But, it kind of defeats the purpose of getting a smart lock. 

What have you guys done to encourage your guests to "come prepared". 

70 Replies 70
Denis130
Level 5
Lincoln City, OR

Find August Smart Lock 90% effective filling my security needs, with the remaining 10% being a technical, and guest (resistance) issue where I could conceivably at risk.

Like August's APP being associated with a person's cell phone because they will rarely ever give it away to anyone, including relatives or friends.  A code, even with the keyboard access, can be passed around verbally for the duration of a guest's stay, and as a consequence, there goes the security aspect of the system.   Our development's clubhouse being accessed by a multitude of non-community members teens, who got the code from a buddy at school is but one example on how verbal codes be easily spread.

Because even tech savvy millennials are resistant to adding APPs to their already app loaded phones I found out soon after installing the Smart Lock that I also would need to invest in the keypad access as well.

The keypad access is my quick solution when an old silverback like me, hasn't a clue on how to down the APP, which I usually find out pretty quickly at check-in.  Rather than being annoying, and time consuming, by trying to walk them through the process I just give them the keyboard access code, and off we go with the 10% risk a consideration, in the back of my mind.

For the general public (guests) who never reads detail on signs, letters, emails, or contracts or may have actually had the invite email go to Spam folder I make the same suggestion of using the keypad and code.  

Occasionally get someone who suddenly realizes their ego is at stake and will willingly accept the time challenge of downloading the APP and registering with August.  Kudos to those folks.

Biggest tech glitch appears to be Android (Apple iPhone does not appear to have this issue) type smart phones, that seem to struggle connecting even when APP has been downloaded and guest registered and their bluetooth has been activated.  

Issue continues to come up but typically gets resolved by guest talking directly with August.  Unfortunately not being included in this dialog,  I never have heard what August is doing to resolve, what seems to be a recurring issue.  Heard over a year ago that they were aware of the issue and still trying to work out a solution.  Appears that is still the response currently.

@Denis130  I am a recent convert to the August Smart lock, and while I do not use the keypad, i find it works amazingly well.  Thank you Denis as I have copied and modified the language you use in your listing to explain check in access.

Mike865
Level 2
Portland, OR

Why you should not invest in August lock for your short term rental -

I have 4 August locks in use: 2 on airbnb, 1 office and 1 house. For personal/office use it works fine. The problems are with short-term rental use. Most significant problem is that the app is terrible and my guests are often unable to properly set-up their apps. During set-up the app basically gets stuck in a loop and the user can't proceed to connect with the door. August's response to this problem was ironically a circular conversation in which i'm asked for the users contact info, I provide it, they can't find it because the user couldn't complete set-up. They say the can't help because they can't see what the person did wrong and I say the problem is that they can't complete the set-up and we go back to step one in the conversation.  Anyway, after 14 months of airbnb use I now regularly have guests tell me they can't set-up the app on their phones. 

August's partnership with airbnb is nice as the booking guest receives an August app invitation after making the reservation, but the invitation only goes to the guest. If you have 5 additional guest staying in the house, be ready to send individual invitations to everyone. Use of a keypad would solve this problem, but I'm not willing to try anymore of their products. 

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I'll be a voice of dissent and say I LOVE my August Lock.  I do not have the keypad lock because my building doesn't allow handles to look different from the outside, so keypads are out.

Instead of fiddling with the app, or trying to have people download the app & use it correctly, I just do it myself.  When someone arrives at my building, I have to buzz them in on my phone anyway.... once I've done that and the call ends, I just open the door remotely with August and the guest is able to grab the keys inside.  I do the same when they check out - I lock it at 11 am.  Have had zero issues with it for the year+ I've had it, and I like that I can see when the door is open, closed, locked or unlocked.  It also helped me with a claim against a guest who refused to leave my property at checkout time - I could screen shot the door being open and closed (in my cleaner's face) and locked again from the inside.  She left 3 hours later and I was able to get a cash penalty as a result, thanks in part to those logs!

Yes, but doesn't it defeat the purpose of the smart lock in that if you give access to a physical key then technically you should be changing the physical lock for each guest.  How do you ensure physical safety from previous guest having access to the property.

Joe2189
Level 1
Austin, TX

As a backup to the code not working, have a lockbox on property that has a key inside.  Maybe a lockbox on the inside gate or fence.

Patrick303
Level 3
Irvington, NJ

Does anyone have updates on the current situation with the August app and Airbnb integration? I'm about to invest in a Yale Wifi smart lock controlled by August. 

Does August still require guests to download its app?

Yes, guest will need to download the app and the process is long and tedious. Don’t get it avoid it at all costs! 

Just realized I responded to your most current post. 

I am Soooo glad I did not get the Yale controlled by August...  I actually place the order twice on Amazon and canceled each time in favor of Schlage BE489WB.

Ari37086
Level 2
Tampa, FL

My husband and I have bought August lock for our first Airbnb and we just made a test and just like all of you it won’t work! It offers a horrible experience for guests!    This past weekend we actually stayed a night in an Airbnb in SC and they had a touch key lock and worked great!!!  Can you suggest a brand you have liked? 

Patrick303
Level 3
Irvington, NJ

Get Schlage Lock Company BE489WB for sure.  You won't be having any of these problems

No download, no hub, just direct Wifi connection to the lock. The Schlage app works great for administrating individual Schlage BE489WB locks but to better control and update multiple Schlage 489WB locks and passwords I use the Amazon Keys app in conjunction

We just had our first experience with this thing as guests.  It it is horrible and a very rude way to treat guests.  We are also hosts and will never use this thing.  This is not way to treat your guests.  Air BnB should not be promoting hosts using this thing.  We wasted an hour last night trying to get this thing installed.  In the end we just got the code from the host.  If something makes it harder for guests, why are you promoting it?

Elise175
Level 2
Los Gatos, CA

I normally generate a key code and text it to my guest, but it appears the August app no longer has the ability to generate keycodes. I don't want to have to deal with guests downloading and installing the app. How do I get the keycode generator back?

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

August is still garbage in 2021. I ordered the latest gen with wi-fi connectivity + keypad. Three days after installation, the keypad mysteriously disconnected from the system and stopped working. Tech support said "password was typed in too fast, causing the keypad to become disabled and require factory reset". Definitely sending it back and looking for an alternative solution.

Sending back for refund now

Andrea4731
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

I would not want to download an app to enter a rental property as a guest. 

I use the Schlage smart lock on my property & so far have had no issues