Problem with guests and August Smart Lock

Luke52
Level 1
Washington, DC

Problem with guests and August Smart Lock

I have been using the August Smart lock for a few months now, and on paper, it's been great. 

However, more often than not, guests show up at my door without having downloaded the app, much less created an account. August sends an email to all of my guests, but the majority tell me they've never seen it.

As a result, I'm left to guide them through the process of app installation and set up after letting them in. Not a HUGE problem. But, it kind of defeats the purpose of getting a smart lock. 

What have you guys done to encourage your guests to "come prepared". 

70 Replies 70

I am using August lock/keypad, together with an Apple TV (4th Generation). I setup the key code in advance and send it to my guests.

The only issue that bothers me is, I can only setup the key code when I am at the door, and not remotely. 

As for Airbnb integretion, I don't really depends on it cause I do create key code for each every one. However, I found it strange that other than the email Airbnb sends (to the guest and copies me), I have no record of who has been invited or setup at all: it's not showing in either airbnb or august app.

A work around that I've done to remotely change the code is change my personal code to the last 4 digits of their phone number then send that to them .After check out I change it to the next person checking in. I find this to be the easiest way when the guests do not download the August home app .

To clarify, are you able to change your personal code thorugh the app as often as you want.  Living out of state of our rentals, I will need to be able to do everyt remotely.  Thank you!

Yes. As long as you have the Smart Lock Pro (the one that comes with a bridge) and the August keypad (so that your guests are able to introduce the code), you can create or change codes remotely, as many times as you want. 

I have all that and am still having problems changing codes.  Says it will update next time owner connects to lock.  Do you know of a work around for this.  I live 17 hrs from this airbnb!

i like that

Dustin25
Level 6
Pittsburgh, PA

Good idea about giving up on it! I have one now and can’t find time to take it down and put a shlage code lock on there. It connects to the internet too so I can change the code and turn it off when I want to. I had all the same problems you did and I can’t wait to get my $450 back for it!

hope your new lock works just as well as the shlage does for me. 

Dustin 

Eric471
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hi, Airbnb Hosts,

Just a heads up … August has updated its Smart Lock app with a new Airbnb feature that integrates the August keypad and auto-generated entry codes, so feel free to check it out when can.

You can contact me here or directly if you would like more information. There is also an FAQ about this on the August Support site.

We are excited to provide this new feature to make home access easier for Hosts & Guests.

Eric

I find that even tho I remind guests to register & screenshot the email sent by Airbnb via August  I get blamed for the guest not following clear instructions. 

Flipside:

intl guests are having a difficult time getting the account to sync with the reservation. 

THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM!!  

I am a guest that spent 45 minutes trying to check into an AirBNB yesterday because the App failed. I followed the instructions from the host, downloaded the app, and when I showed up at the door it didn't work.  The app "discovered" the lock, but couldn't show that it was locked so I could unlock it.  My bluetooth and cellular roaming were on, but it didn't work.  Had to call the host via the number on the Airbnb page and he sent a code manually.   Was not happy that my 2 year old sat in a car for 45 minutes waiting for something, when I had followed the host instructions and VERY BEGRUDGINLY added yet another app to my phone.   So this was my first experience with the August app and I'm not impressed.

Anyway, based on the info on the August website - the host can now send both a code to the email of the guest as well as use the app.  Since my husband refused a smart phone we needed a code anyway if he was to leave the condo without me.  Definitely including requests for a code next time I stay at one of these properties with an August lock. 

Shari, 

We are sorry that you had this negative experience and understand the frustration here. We have done our best to improve the experience through keypad access to make it easier for hosts and guests.

Hi Eric,

We linked up our Airbnb listing with our August locks. 

We have received copy of  emails to the guest which indicates they can view their upcoming access in the August app on the Keychain screen for the future reservation.   But we as hosts do not see them on our account.  Shouldn’t it show at this time as well for the host?

Thanks

Pia

RE August Locks:  Your post was a couple of years ago so I'm interested how your August Lock situation is working out now?  I'm just getting started as a host and went with the August connect (no keypad)

I have this and having issue after issue with second guest.   First guest went smoothly after she tried for 2 hours to connect via blue tooth.  This second guest took 24 hours for it to recognize her phones blue tooth.  Then she decided to add to her time at my place and book next week too and now the August app wont let her in until next week.  I give up! This is so bad.  A lot of money for a big bunch of headaches so far.

I have the smart lock pro with bridge.  Suppose to be able to change codes remotely but the app is telling me it will update new code next time owner connects to lock.  Is there a reason it is asking me to do this?  I live 17 hrs away and this is making it very difficult to run a vacation home.  Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.