Smart Door locks

Matthew147
Level 3
Chicago, IL

Smart Door locks

Hi Everyone - 

We're closing on our first Airbnb rental next week and going to be updating the property, so I wanted to ask a couple of questions about the smart home features - specifically locks.  

I've been researching alot of the smart home locks and these look like they're going to be awesome as we'll be managing our property from afar (rental is in FL and we live in Chicago).  Some of the ones that I'm considering:

1. August  - wondering if we would need the keypad and door lock as well.
  2. Schlage Connect + Wink Hub - have some friends that use this on their rentals here in Chicago
  3. Kwikset Kevo - This is probably the bottom of the list

I'm concerned with some of them that require a smartphone app (of course they have a backup key) as some of our renters may not be techno-savvy.  Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks!

100 Replies 100

Many kind of Kwikset 916  , which one is best for air bnb ?

Hi Jess, 

Just read your post about Kwikset.  I have a property located in Arizona, I'm in Seattle.  Current lock: lock box that holds key, one code.  

I'd like to switch it out to a lock that I can assign codes to guests, change guest codes with new guests, and assign codes to cleaners and service providers.  I want to know when someone is accessing the lock as well.  

Does your kwikset do this, if not, are you still satisified with the lock?  

I appreciate your thoughts, 

Jenny

Yes Jess, under notifications you can see which person leaves or comes back to the house with a time stamp.   I have 3 Kwikset Kēvo s in two of my houses.  

Thank you for this post - it helped me make a decission a lot quicker than I anticipated...

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Andrew90@Damir0@Maria-Lurdes0, I thought you might be interested in this topic. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie

Yale is listed as a partner in the "Host Assist" section, but I cannot find any "partnership" outside of linking to Yale's shopping pages. Am I missing a discount, or some connection that is implied by airbnb's inclusion on that page?

(I'm putting in a new front door tomorrow and have the op to change to a keypad lock, so this is a time sensitive inquiry.)

Thanks a lot.

Reno

Damir0
Level 10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Hi @Matthew147@Lizzie@Jess21@Zacharias0

These locks are worth a shot. However, I would go for the most secure and reliable smart lock, considering it is your home, your and the guests' safety.

I'm not sure that every region has the same Host Assist options for hosts who wish to integrate their smart lock with Airbnb, have a look here:

https://www.airbnb.com/host-assist

Personally, I'd recommend getting the highly acclaimed smart lock from LockState.

Packaging.png

Any other suggestions?

Wherever you go, there you are.
Nita7
Level 4
Florida, United States

BEWARE!!  This Lock will become defective when they send the next global update to your lock and you will be 1000s of miles away and have to deal with it.  Lockstate does not have 24/7 tech support so if it's after hours you are stuck trying to figure out how to get your guest in unless you have key backup.  I spent 2 months of anxiety trying to get it replaced by them.

Many of the new locks are defective - I had to buy a new replacement (which I have not received reimbursement for yet) and thought it was working.    Got a frantic call in the middle of the night because my guest couldn't get in.  The lock had brand new batteries and the keypad wouldn't work.  Then it went offline.   It's been on and off problems since.   

I'm researching for a new wi-fi lock, not from Lockstate.   Anyone have suggestions???

Jessika6
Level 2
Windsor, United Kingdom

We are going through the same problem right now!! What did you wind up going with? Have you found anything comparable to LockState, but not defective with no propre customer support??

Thanks!

Host Nightmare: Airbnb representatives add insult to injury.    Airbnb recommends keyless locks guests can use to enter with.  In fact on host-assist, airbnb's website, shows 8 locks they recommend!  When I get a new reservation, I send the guest an entry code.   This is the beauty of remote hosting.   Problem arises when an airbnb guest arrives and that person's identity is not the guest who booked.   So when an airbnb rep told me yesterday that I'm at fault for allowing that guest to enter, telling me I needed to verify that guest's identity before allowing her in, the airbnb rep apparently doesn't know how airbnb works! Airbnb is not a traditional hotel where you have someone's ID to verify at entry.  If I need to stand guard at the front door, then why am I using Airbnb's platform? If you run into this problem, don't expect support from airbnb, especially if the rep doesn't know airbnb's very own host options, such as the setting to only accept bookings by guests who have been rated by other hosts.   An Airbnb representative who tells you that something is confidential about the guest's identity is shooting words out without making sense.   There's a setting option, that while it can limit your reservations, I'm going to opt for it from now on.  Why? Some woman who first inquired about a reservation made it her concern to ask if she would be safe being a woman.  By the time I went to respond, she used a man's profile to make the reservation.  That wouldn't normally be a problem, but, in this case, the woman came in with an aggression to kiss me.  I left the house and felt very uncomfortable with her.   Then guests who had reservations for other rooms in the house arrived only to be greeted by this woman who informed them they would be sharing her room.   Those guests immediately left to stay in a hotel.   I felt responsible as a host and called airbnb.   Who was this woman or man? I told the guests who left that I had no problem refunding their money with no cancellation penalty.   They emailed me within airbnbs messaging system that they felt uncomfortable with the aggressive woman who was there.   Very bad move, the Airbnb rep took the liberty to cancel the guests who left, without discussing with me, the host! Then the Airbnb rep emailed me telling me what he did "took the liberty to cancel other guests." This affects a host's rating.    In addition, I wanted Airbnb to take responsibility for the inappropriate guest.   How reliable is Airbnb if they can't review the facts, but instead recklessly affect a host and innocent guests? The Airbnb rep I spoke with blamed me for not verifying the woman's identity before allowing her in.  In 10 years as a host, this nightmare is a first.  I feel Airbnb is unable to train its reps to handle difficult situations, even if the reps are in the "safety" dept.  

Schlage Encode all the way!!  Remote lock was a nightmare for me as well and the force you to have a subscription.

are you able to set the codes with auto expiration ?  

Nita7
Level 4
Florida, United States

BEWARE!!  This Lock will become defective when they send the next global update to your lock and you will be 1000s of miles away and have to deal with it.  Lockstate does not have 24/7 tech support so if it's after hours you are stuck trying to figure out how to get your guest in unless you have key backup.  I spent 2 months of anxiety trying to get it replaced by them.

Many of the new locks are defective - I had to buy a new replacement (which I have not received reimbursement for yet) and thought it was working.    Got a frantic call in the middle of the night because my guest couldn't get in.  The lock had brand new batteries and the keypad wouldn't work.  Then it went offline.   It's been on and off problems since.   

I'm researching for a new wi-fi lock, not from Lockstate.   Anyone have suggestions???

I agree.

Do not buy from Lockstate.   I have 40 homes, and invested 10k on their locks, I thought I was smart by doing a month trial before rolling out to entire portfolio -- terrible mistake.

Considering a Class Action Suit against them.

David3617
Level 2
Cruz Bay, U.S. Virgin Islands

@UrHome1 Did you find a better solution? I also need about 50 locks and have tried Virtual Key, Lock State, and some manual options with no good luck...Yale/August Integration looks promising but also reading many horrors.... davecutler@gmail.com if you want to try to share ideas and research (Ive spent 100s hours)....