Smart Door locks

Matthew147
Level 3
Chicago, IL

Smart Door locks

Hi Everyone - 

We're closing on our first Airbnb rental next week and going to be updating the property, so I wanted to ask a couple of questions about the smart home features - specifically locks.  

I've been researching alot of the smart home locks and these look like they're going to be awesome as we'll be managing our property from afar (rental is in FL and we live in Chicago).  Some of the ones that I'm considering:

1. August  - wondering if we would need the keypad and door lock as well.
  2. Schlage Connect + Wink Hub - have some friends that use this on their rentals here in Chicago
  3. Kwikset Kevo - This is probably the bottom of the list

I'm concerned with some of them that require a smartphone app (of course they have a backup key) as some of our renters may not be techno-savvy.  Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks!

100 Replies 100

Hi David Thanks for your note, I haven't found a solution yet, but I was thinking of going with Virtual Key.  So your note is timely if not concerning.   What was the issue with Virtual Lock for you? 

Tatiana53
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

Do not get this lock! The company is young. They designed a poor lock and left all the people that spent 250 on a lock hanging. After much troubleshooting they admitted it was a problem they were aware of with their lock and offered me an upgrade for another 100 saying the technology wasn’t outdated , they no longer worked with that network provider and they had a new and improved technology. So basically we were beta testers on our time and left without warranties, recalls or free replacements. The biggest pain is the lock has trouble linking to the WiFi so it keeps searching and kills the battery meaning you have to run to let your guest in (for us at 4am). When it is working good luck getting those new user codes to sync and work. Stay far away! 

Frank-and-Stormy0
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

We use a Schlage with a Vera (getvera.com) to set the codes remotely. We have to manually add and remove the codes for each guest.

After my very first guest lost keys and claimed I only gave them one set I purchased the Schlage connect with wink. I have now use two with strong WiFi. I can unlock and lock remotely. I can also set and delete codes remotely. Had one for two years and bought another for a separate entry a year ago. Fantastic reliable locks. Only you need good WiFi and rarely when there’s an issue it’s because of wink not Schlage. Also you need to be a little technically proficient setting it all up. I love the lock and highly recommend it, with the wink set up. 

Hello Frank,

would you please share your experience with your lock so far! 

@Sangeeta0& Brian,

See my reply to Zacharia in Las Vegas for my experience with the Weiser Smart Code 10 lock in Edmonton. I can add that Weiser in Montreal, has provided me with outstanding customer service and warranty.  I've had a few issues over the years which their telephone tech support was able to help me with and they recenlty sent me a new lock when the motor was making clicking noises it wasn't before. I'm upgrading to the their keyless Obsidian lock in the near future (and moving existing Smart Code 10 to the garage). Make sure you get the "home connect" versions of the locks as only they are capable of communicating wirelessly with other devises via Z-wave etc.

I started with an August smart lock. The motor burned out in less than a year. They wouldn't warranty it without a receipt which I couldnt find, unlike Weiser who warrantied my lock without a receipt. The other difference is that August does not have a tapered deadbolt which the Weiser locks have which helps prevent lock jams (main reason for motors to burn out).  The August locks are bulky and ugly. They do have better integration with AIrbnb such as sending guests automatic messages with code info etc. but that isn't worth it if the lock is constantly jamming. Jams are more likely in Canada because of weather changes and the doors/strike plates needing to be adjusted accordingly to prevent jams.

Jason109
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Hi Matthew,

As an alternative you can now consider using Keycafe to manage your guest check-in and check-out.  Keycafe is a automated self-serve key exchange solution and we have just officially launched this week in Chicago.  We have over 20 locations in Chicago now with more coming on line next week.  Keycafe lets you use your existing keys with no need to replace any hardware.  You can get started immediately and remotely follow your guests access. 

Keycafe is part of the Airbnb Host Assist program https://www.airbnb.com/host-assist/partners/16 which means you can link the Keycafe account to your Airbnb listing, so evertime you accept a booking the key exchange part is taken care of automatically!

Check out our website keycafe [link removed] to see if we have locations near your property. 

Thanks!
Jason

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and feedback....

After a ton of research and testing - here's what i ended up going with.

1. Schlage Camelot connected deadbolt (with keypag)
  2. Wink hub 2

First of all - i was replacing an exlsting Schlage deadbolt, so it was a super simple swap out of existing locks.

Second, we've trusted Schlage for years in our house and my parents.  It's built  solid and I trust it.

Third, i just really liked the Wink hub over the Samsung SmartThings or Nexia (really didn't like the $9.99 monthly fee with them either).

So it's pretty seamless now. I have 2 codes for my wife and I, one for the cleaning service, and put in new ones (and disable them) for guests.  It's not directly integrated like the August with booking (yet) but it was an old deadbolt and didn't trust the manual turning of it with a system like August.  

Great choice! I have the August Smart Lock and when guests download the app it works great but the keypad can be tempermental in cold weather. 

August,  the other problem is that the battery cover often falls when you manually open the door.

Hi Matthew,

would you you be kind enough to paste the links to the two products you mentioned above?

Matthew

Re your post on the Smart Locks.

Now that you are 12 months in.   Do you still recommend the...

1. Schlage Camelot connected deadbolt (with keypag)
  2. Wink hub 2

Thanks

Steve

I’m two years in with Schlage, and I always say it’s my favorite Airbnb investment. Very reliable, very secure! I live it sooo much! Once a year ago I got a call New Year’s Eve at 3:00AM guests friends who were on the booking were locked out. Half asleep I said ok I’m coming to open the door. As I got out of bed I realized I wasn’t home I was visiting my mom in NJ. Then I panicked, again I was half asleep. A few seconds later when I came to my senses, I unlocked the door from NJ using my cell phone. Relieved and overjoyed I fell right back asleep like a baby! It’s a fantastic and reliable lock with the wink and a strong wifi signal.

Ephraim, 

I'm wanting to replace my lockbox, want the ability to manage the key codes remotely and have a log of who is using the door.  I'd like to have the ability to assign codes to guests, cleaners, and service people. 

Are you able to chime in on the lock you purchased? Name/model?

Thanks so much, 

Jenny

Dominique198
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi all, yet another question about Smart Locks.  Ideally I want a lock which doesn't require an app download by guests, can be managed using via the web, and preferably Airbnb compatible. Host Assist recomends Lockstate amongst others but I will be useing it in Italy with a eurocylinder multipoint lock.  I can't seem to find any which can be fitted to this type of lock.  Any suggestions? Thanks in advance to anyone who takes time out for this!