Smart Door locks

Matthew147
Level 3
Chicago, IL

Smart Door locks

Hi Everyone - 

We're closing on our first Airbnb rental next week and going to be updating the property, so I wanted to ask a couple of questions about the smart home features - specifically locks.  

I've been researching alot of the smart home locks and these look like they're going to be awesome as we'll be managing our property from afar (rental is in FL and we live in Chicago).  Some of the ones that I'm considering:

1. August  - wondering if we would need the keypad and door lock as well.
  2. Schlage Connect + Wink Hub - have some friends that use this on their rentals here in Chicago
  3. Kwikset Kevo - This is probably the bottom of the list

I'm concerned with some of them that require a smartphone app (of course they have a backup key) as some of our renters may not be techno-savvy.  Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks!

100 Replies 100

Hi, does anybody know that whether the StateLock can be easily fit in existing 2-lock (i.e. 2 holes) standard exterior doors with

1 single cylinder deadbolt? 1 entry knob can keep there. Thanks a lot.

Hey Paul - sorry I missed this.  I've been THRILLED with the Schlage smart door lock and the installation was a snap.  I have it integrated into the Wink Hub which controls the door, thermostate, cameras, etc. in our house.  I have even built a couple of Robots (which you can do through Wink) that say IF door code = owner, turn OFF security cameras (internal) until door is locked).  This helped to save the batteries on my Arlo Camera.  

I haven't played around with any of the other lock sets, but we use Schlage on our house at home and feel it's a super reliable company.  Also when installing it, I noted that a number of issues with other locks if you door doesn't fit "perfectly".  The Schlage lock has a little more "wiggle room" within the door chamber so that if the door swells/shrinks (which it does alot for us in FL) the door may not fit well, but the lock works good.  

Anyhow, hope this helps out!

Denis93
Level 1
South Padre Island, TX

I've used the Lockstate 5i deadbolt for 9 months now.  I'm out of town 90% of the time when guest arrive and have only had one that I've had to send to the mechanical box on the door to retrieve a key.

Lockstate intregrates well with Airbnb and all access codes are issued to guest when they book.

Wifi smartlocks are super for hosts that are on the go and not in town when guest arrive. Hope this helps -dc

Our experience of 1 year using lockstate smartlock system has been nothing short of a complete nightmare. I warned my husband that I thought we would have problems using this instead of a ordinary standard keyless entry lock but he was convinced lockstate would be great for us. One big problem is lockstate sends out an email at the time of booking with a personal door code for each guest and 9 times out of 10 the guest would either lose the email or never get the email.Other problems were constant....if a guest checked in early or checked out late they were locked out. If wifi was down guests are locked out, and several times personal codes not working due unknown reasons according to lockstate. It took a year of constant problems and constant arguments with my husband for him to concede that this system was one huge mistake. If anyone is using it successfully thats great but you couldnt pay me to use lockstate again. 

Cheryl.    We use the Lockstate 6i lock with no problems for two years.  Some of the problems you might be having appear with your settings.  I do not allow AIRBNB to send their own codes.  I will enter a code on Lockstates website when a person books.  I will enter it under "guests codes" and will set check-in and check-out times a few hours early and a few hours late.   Also if the codes are entered into the lock, then the wi-fi can go down but the entered codes STILL work the door lock.  The lock will operate on it's own without wi-fi for any code that is entered.   I have about 10 codes that are entered that could be used in a backup in case the wi-fi did go down when I went to enter a code.  We live 500 miles from our AIRBNB and the lock is a lifesaver.  Lisa 

Lisa- I would love to chat with you. We are considering purchasing a property in another state & would love to know how you manage yours remotely - would you be up for a quick conversation?

Tatiana53
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

The bug is with the 5i model. I had the same problems and fought with the he company repeatedly. They admitted their mistake and tried to upsell me at a discount yet I want nothing to do with them but I don’t wantto be out another 250 with another lock company. The problem with anything software or contract related is that you are at the mercy of the company. 

What do  you thing in terms of smart hubs? Smartthings vs Wink - which one is a better solution for Airbnb hosts?

Greg-and-Rachael0
Level 2
Lancaster, United Kingdom

Hi One and all,

I read through these threads quite extensively for a while back in the summer, as we needed a similar solution to our house in the UK, and we are in Hungary.

It seems each smartlock has it's pitfall depending on your situation. The Yale locks and the Lockstate ones that Airbnb tout, don't work with beautifully designed 100 year old oak doors. Long story short, I decided that by process of elimination the Kevo smartlock with Plus hub was my best option to be able to control the door lock remotely, and allow guests access too.

Alas, Kevo only supply the Plus hub to US and Canada. Undeterred, I ordered my Kevo smartlock and a couple of fobs from Amazon, and had the Plus Hub delivered to a friend in Florida, then arranged a reverse collection and customs clearance to the UK.

With all the components to hand I set about drilling new holes for the Kevo Smart deadlock, following the instructions meticulously; even then it took me 5 or 6 attempts to fit the barrel and get it to retract smoothly via remote (fine with the key, but a slight snag with the remote), after chiseling away the barrel was fitted and the rest of the lock. It worked. Boy was I proud!

At this point you can open the door via an app and bluetooth on your phone - or a guests phone.

The hub allows conncetion to wifi and the lock to be controlled from anywhere in the world if you have wifi.

As you would expect it's just a black box, a transformer and a link cable. Easy to set up, "Woohoo".

Would the lock and the hub talk to each other...? Would they thump!

Is it because it's UK wifi? If I call tech support (In San Fran, 9 hours behind) will they tell me I shouldn't be using it in the UK? 

Called tech support, After a 15 min spoke to Annie, who guided me through the usual reset and update type stuff for the lock and within 15 mins we were all up and running. "Yeah!"

The lock is fantastic. Phone in pocket you just touch the lock and it opens. You can allow guests access by sending them an invite, they then register and can do the same, but after our first guest had a phone that was too old for the app, and my wife's phone went flat in town so she would have not been able to get in, we decided we would keep it simple and open the door remotely for guests - they then use the regular 5 lever mortice lock during their stay.

This has proved to be the best way forward. I get to have a conversation with the guests when they arrive, the smartlock has a "wow" factor, but they are still staying in a lovely 150 year old romantic cottage.

It's only let us down once when the cable from the transformer to the Plus hub wasn't connecting properly. I plan on hardwiring the transformer to the hub to avoid this weakness.

I believe this may be the only Kevo Plus set up in the UK, but would love to hear from anyone else who has one fitted. It's been a great solution for us. I'm happy to advise anyone else thinking of going down this route.

Greg

Hi, did you mean klevio smart lock.?

Amar6
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Check these Smart Locks from Door Guard.

http://www.doorguard.com.au/pages/bnb no need of Internet, yet, you can manage access for your guests remotely. All locks auto close. 

Send them an email if you are interested in purchasing outside of Australia.

I use Schlage Connect and set codes for myself, cleaning people, and guests.  My Smartthings hub keeps a history of all lock usage including manual lock/unlock from the inside of the door. 

I would never use something that requires a phone app, that would go over terribly with guests.  I doubt if you could get 1 in 20 guests to install the app.

To me, just as important as the keypad is the lock history.  I can see when guests come and go and also make sure no one else has entered.  There have been stories of hosts being scammed by guests who claimed their property was stolen or something like that.

Hi Christopher - do you know the exact Schlage Connect model you purchased? Sounds like everything I am looking for (multiple lock codes, entry/exit history), but there seem to be many different options at Amazon  under 'Schlage Connect'

Also scale of 1 to 10 how difficult was it to install? 

Thanks!

Hi Christopher - do you know the exact Schlage Connect model you purchased? Sounds like everything I am looking for (multiple lock codes, entry/exit history), but there seem to be many different options at Amazon  under Schlage Connect

Also scale of 1 to 10 how difficult was it to install? 

Thanks!

I'm sure you've found a solution by now but I use the Schlage BE468 with a Wink Hub. It was super easy to install (I was simply replacing an existing deadbolt so no drilling) and it took me about 15 minutes total. I had NEVER installed a lock before!

The Wink Hub was only $25 on Amazon and pairs perfectly. I can change codes via the app on my smartphone and track every time the door locks/unlocks and which code was used.

The Schlage BE469 also works with the Wink Hub and is basically the same lock but with the additional feature of an alarm.