Smart Door locks

Matthew147
Level 3
Chicago, IL

Smart Door locks

Hi Everyone - 

We're closing on our first Airbnb rental next week and going to be updating the property, so I wanted to ask a couple of questions about the smart home features - specifically locks.  

I've been researching alot of the smart home locks and these look like they're going to be awesome as we'll be managing our property from afar (rental is in FL and we live in Chicago).  Some of the ones that I'm considering:

1. August  - wondering if we would need the keypad and door lock as well.
  2. Schlage Connect + Wink Hub - have some friends that use this on their rentals here in Chicago
  3. Kwikset Kevo - This is probably the bottom of the list

I'm concerned with some of them that require a smartphone app (of course they have a backup key) as some of our renters may not be techno-savvy.  Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks!

100 Replies 100

I think Yale Assure Lock will be the best option as you can simply create unique pin codes for friends and family and manage them within the Yale Secure app and that all you can do it remotely.

Madhura0
Level 3
United States

We use a Yale lock along with SmartThings. We have a Schlage Connect lock at home but find that the battery reporting is more reliable with Yale. SmartThing keeps a log/history of all the users and lock events and even send us a text message we have a complete history as well a real time notifications.

Till last year we used to use the lock code user management app from rboy app to schedule the users (www.rboyapps.com) but this year we switched to their Rental Lock Automater app which connects SmartThings to AirBnB and automatically schedules all the users. I like that I can configure when I want to activate users and even have the app automatically sms the user codes to the renters ahead of time with a customized message.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-rental-lock-automater-automate-user-codes-with-airbnb-ho...

Just very impressed with the reliability, support and the features of Rboy Apps.

Agreed, the batteries last me about 3 mos. however I learned real quickly the battery reporting barely moves and 3 months in when it says 97% I’m in the danger zone. Consistently on both locks 97% is as low as the meter goes before the lock dies. So as soon as it hits 97 time for fresh batteries. Either that or a battery swap every two months to be safe. Well worth the few extra bucks for the peace of mind to me.

Jason272
Level 3
Langley, Canada

I use the Schlage Connect smart lock with a Samsung SmartThings Hub for my AirBNB in Whistler, BC.  RBoy makes great smart apps for this and he's just released a new rental lock automator script!  Basically you install the script and it integrates with your AirBNB calendar and automatically programs the lock code into the the lock for each guest.  You can choose to set the lock code to the last 4 digits of their AirBNB phone number or to the date of their check in.  Once it's setup, it does all the work you litterly don't have to do anything other than change batteries if they become low (which he's also got a script for to notify you).

$99 one time fee to get access to Rboy's commercial apps, no monthly fees like other lock systems.  $200~ for the Schlage Lock, $50 for the SmartThings Hub if you can catch it on sale, otherwise $99.  So approx $350-400 for the entire setup and no monthly fees.  The Schlage lock is bullet proof and one of the best on the market as a lock itself.  The resort lock or rental locks I've heard aren't the best in terms of quality.

Smart Apps:

http://smartthings.rboyapps.com/

Good luck.

Thank you, Jason, for mentioning the lock's in use in Whistler. **bleep** cold! Some smartlocks aren't even approved for outdoor use...so much fine print, so little time.

I use the Schlage BE369NX in Ottawa and it's perfect for cold winters. The lock has a manual knob that must be turned after entering the code so there's no motor that can sieze up in the cold. 

Lisa975
Level 4
Barboursville, WV

Here is a lifesaver for those using the lockstate locks.  Buy one of the small masterlock lock boxes that are about 3 inches by 4"  Set a code for it.  Put in a key or two for your lockstate lock.  Then either mount it on your door frame up high and paint it same color or mount on door itself.  Then if the lock ever breaks or goes down and your 500 mile away just send them the code to lockbox and they have a key to door.  

Don-and-Sandy0
Level 3
Pennsylvania, United States

We have really enjoyed having a digital lock - especially being able to change the code from home, checking to see if it's locked, etc.  But last week the lock was not working for the guests - they could not get it to lock.  I am not sure yet if it was them or the lock, but thankfully, I had hid a key and was able to tell them where to find it so that they could use it.  I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't hid a key!  So that is my advice when using digital - have a back-up.  This could have been a very stressful situation!

Dominique198
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi, I’ve been following the posts and notice the Smartlocks are predominantly used in the States and Canada.

I have a property which I rent out in Italy and fitted a Danalock V3 at Easter.  The lock, so far,  works very well.  However, the software was updated during the summer and lost the Airbnb function. Although this was never  a complete ‘marriage’ it did generate a link to send guests, which worked well.  I did not have any problems with guests downloading the App (thought this would be) and gaining access. The App had a running log that told me when the lock was used and by whom. After the update this all went out of sync, I had to manually generate invites and these did not always work.  I bridged the lock via an old mobile but this also stopped working. I have a hidden physical key, which was a life saver albeit stressful. Danalock have said all will be resolved with a new server in the near future.  I really hope this is the case as when it works it is good.

Sheldon15
Level 4
Hope, Canada

Hi ,  I use Weiser Powerbolt2 lock which is just a touch pad electronic dead bolt. As a back up I have a keylock box with a spare key locked to the railing outside the front door with the same key code. If the guest cannot open the Powerbolt lock they can use the key lock box.

Since I live in a low crime area crime area I change the keycodes mabe once a month or if I  have a red warning flag when quests check out.  Eventually i will install a ring video door bell on the front door to monitor who comes and goes  and in case all above fails you can talk the guests through the procedure remotely.

One of problems I find is I leave my front door unlocked most of the times because I live onsite and personally check people in. Guests constantly try to input the code to unlock the unlocked door by reapeatedly smashing the code into the lock which beeps and I can hear it if I am in another part of the house.  Total  cost of this is around $300 Canadian.

If all else fails there is a doggy door on back yard entrance which I actually  had a guest use because they locked the door and didnt take the codes with them when they went skiing.

Owen28
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

I had the same concerns about which lock to use. In the end I went with the Schlage keypad lock. I also host my Florida property remotely and couldn't do it without this.

It was super easy to set up. I've made a video of how to install it here:

http://expatpropertyinvesting.com/2018/09/17/the-right-airbnb-lock-for-easy-guest-access-with-video/...

You can also see the other easy access locks I use in my Airbnb at that link. 

I fully agree with some of the other commenters - a smart lock can get very un-smart when there's no power. Where we are, a hurricane or storm could easily knock the power out. I'm happier with a mechanical option using the keypad. As a back up, I also have a lockbox with the Schlage key inside but I don't give that to guests - but could in an emergency if the schlage battery happened to die. 

Mark1211
Level 2
Midway, UT

Does anyone have any experience with, or opinions on August locks?  Considering for a small motel, so would need, say 20 locks...  Thanks

David3617
Level 2
Cruz Bay, U.S. Virgin Islands

Hi Mark - did you come up with a solution? Im also looking for solutions for smaller boutique hotels....

Hi 

check out this new Australian company called NoahFace.

www.noahface.com

Their “Access” product is fantastic using facial recognition.

Single or multi door. Remote control with manual pin override. SMS codes sent to the renter prior to arrival.

It’s really  cool. Audit trail feature for you to see who actually went through the door.

Madhura0
Level 3
United States

The latest version of Rboy apps Rental local automater (RLA) is even better. Now it automatically sets my thermostats to a comfortable temperature an hour before the renters check in and turns them off after check out. I literally don't have to do anything now nor do I have to worry about renters forgetting to turn off the HVAC. It's just so awesome, I'm in love with it!

If you have a Smartthings hub, rboy apps RLA is a no brainer for managing rental properties. One of these days I'm going to post a video of how I've set it up to manage my entire rental process.

You can check it out at www.rboyapps.com under the commercial apps section.